PDA

View Full Version : Canon 7D AE lock M mode

LEIGHTON
08-05-2010, 11:43am
I used to be either in shutter priority or aperture priority modes when taking pictures and always use the AE lock button to recompose. Everytime I press the AE lock the * in the viewfinder also lights up. But I recently I decided to switch to Manual Exposure mode. After obtaining the right exposure I press the AE lock but the * in the viewfinder does not light up. Is this normal for M mode? I'm pretty much of a newbie!

Thanks for your inputs!

etherial
08-05-2010, 12:22pm
Yes mate thats normal in Manual mode. In the Av or Tv you are letting the camera decide part of the exposure triangle and you can use the AE lock to stop it from assessing and changing. In Manual mode you are in full control, and the camera has no decisions to make so the AE lock button does nothing.

MarkChap
08-05-2010, 2:06pm
Yeah thats right

In manual mode once you set your exposure, nothing will change until you physically make a change, so no need for a exposure lock

LEIGHTON
08-05-2010, 4:36pm
Yes mate thats normal in Manual mode. In the Av or Tv you are letting the camera decide part of the exposure triangle and you can use the AE lock to stop it from assessing and changing. In Manual mode you are in full control, and the camera has no decisions to make so the AE lock button does nothing.

Thanks mate for your quick reply. Now I'm starting to understand what's manual mode is all about but there are still lots to learn. I notice that you've got EFS 10-22mm glass, how do you find it especially for landscape photography? Have you tried that for night photography? I'm contemplating of getting another glass--and have started saving for it!

LEIGHTON
08-05-2010, 4:37pm
Yeah thats right

In manual mode once you set your exposure, nothing will change until you physically make a change, so no need for a exposure lock

Thanks mate!

etherial
08-05-2010, 5:17pm
The 10-22mm is great, can't go wrong with it (or the siggy 10-20 for that matter). You just can't get carried away with the 10mm end with some scenes because you can end up with lots of sky and foreground and everything else looks miles away. It is a fun lens though.