PDA

View Full Version : Implications of adding "wallpapers"?

mercho
08-05-2010, 9:41am
Hey Guys,

I have a few "stockish" type shots that I have been considering adding to my site in various resolutions for people to use a desktop backgrounds...

Im pretty much aware that once I do this, im giving away the photos, however I plan to only save them at 72ppi, and was wondering if I should have some sort of clause against commercial use of the photos?

Cheers

I @ M
08-05-2010, 9:55am
Ask yourself if adding that clause is going to stop someone in the middle of China from taking the image and selling it later.
How will you ever know?
Will they even think twice about stealing it?
Can they even read or translate the clause?
Is any action that you might want to take against said thief ( if they could be found ) even enforceable in China?

If you put it on the web it is fair game for anyone who has a pc to "borrow" and do whatever they feel like doing with it later.

mercho
08-05-2010, 9:59am
Ask yourself if adding that clause is going to stop someone in the middle of China from taking the image and selling it later.
How will you ever know?
Is any action that you might want to take against said thief ( if they could be found ) even enforceable in China?

If you put it on the web it is fair game for anyone who has a pc to "borrow" and do whatever they feel like doing with it later.

Yeah very true, and to be honest Im not considering doing it with very many shots, just a couple that I can accept loosing pretty much... I know as soon as its up its free game lol

Just thought if i ever came accross the shots again, If i had a clause i could do something. But the likelyhood of that is fairly hight, and I doubt i would be able to do anything anyway...

Thanks for the post, something for me to think about i guess...

DAdeGroot
08-05-2010, 10:04am
Yeah very true, and to be honest Im not considering doing it with very many shots, just a couple that I can accept loosing pretty much... I know as soon as its up its free game lol

Just thought if i ever came accross the shots again, If i had a clause i could do something. But the likelyhood of that is fairly hight, and I doubt i would be able to do anything anyway...

Thanks for the post, something for me to think about i guess...

I've given a few desktop images to people before - to specific people that is, and I've watermarked them in several ways (some very very subtle). I also make sure there's a clear © notice on them, and a url to my website.

Desktop images should be looked upon as a form of marketing :)

DAdeGroot
08-05-2010, 10:06am
How will you ever know?

These are also good points Andrew, which is why I go for multiple watermarks on any desktop images I release.

I've had one image stolen by a Chinese fireworks company, and it's used on several places on their commercial website. Cease & Desist letters do diddly squat in China.

mercho
08-05-2010, 10:11am
These are also good points Andrew, which is why I go for multiple watermarks on any desktop images I release.

I've had one image stolen by a Chinese fireworks company, and it's used on several places on their commercial website. Cease & Desist letters do diddly squat in China.

Out of curiousity did they leave your watermark intack?

Advertising is good way of looking at it :)