PDA

View Full Version : Users Guide to the Canon 7D - short review

jbee
06-05-2010, 11:49pm
Hi All

I am not sure if giving a book a plug or not is OK so please delete if inapropriate mods.

As a new user of the Canon 7D there is a hell of lot for me to learn and tonight I thought I would look at video. Well darned if I could sort out all the focus and frame rates etc. So I pulled out a book I bought that came with two DVD's one exclusively on the 7D. I scrolled through to the "Live view/Video" section to watch and I have to say there is no way I would have figured how out how to set up for video from the owners manual ever. The video showed me all the bits I was getting wrong and a ton more stuff I had never even thought of in a few minutes and I sat there with my camera in front of me trying it all out and pausing the DVD as I went. I am going to do all the rest of the DVD course now on normal camera use, before going out to practice shoot again. this video guide is so good I can only benefit from it. I am also going to buy the 7D guide book from the same publisher.

Any way it is the "Magic Lantern Guides Canon EOS 7D Multimedia Workshop" and the one I have just ordered is the "Canon EOS 7D Magic Lantern Guide". You can get them from one of the site advertisers too which is a good thing.

Hope this helps any of you who are new to DSLR's and the7D.

Cheers all - JB

peterking
07-05-2010, 12:16am
OK. So which site advertiser?
Yes I am new to the 7D and getting lost in all its capabilities.

jbee
07-05-2010, 9:42am
Hi Peter - I found them on Fishpond - the first one i bought from O/Seas but now I found the links to the AusPhotography sponsors and advertisers ( click the sponsors button at the bottom of the page ) , i will buy through them when possible, the one i ordered last night is from Fishpond.
Cheers - John

0Z320
07-05-2010, 11:03pm
Goodluck with your 7D :)

(I ended up choosing a 50D over the 7D because it looked way too advanced for me)

peterking
08-05-2010, 12:05am
Thanks JB.
Just ordered them.
OZ320. for me it was a toss up between the 5 or 7. I chose the 7 based on all the reports I read as the best for the sports type shooting I do.
Hope you enjoy your 50D.

Jcas
08-05-2010, 4:55pm
I have one of these guides for my Camera too and i would have been lost without it, the camera user manual was so hard to follow, and really small print, that's what enticed me to buy the user guide, never regretted it for a second.

Robert Horler
16-05-2010, 8:25pm
Just oredered it too. Hope it lives up to your recommendation, ooooo pressure ;-)
Seriously, I need all the help I can get. Thanks

debs
08-06-2010, 10:23am
Thanks for the info. Recently ordered one too, can't wait to get it, REALLY need it.

bricat
08-06-2010, 1:05pm
I think you have nailed it here Ordering as we speak Thanks a million Cheers Brian

darkmerlin
31-10-2010, 12:24am
Yep, thumbs up for Magic Lantern DVD - so much to learn with the 7D - you'd think Canon would supply a decent user manual but it's just passable.
Go the extra and get the field guide, books, DVD's and you won't look back.

Roosta
02-11-2010, 5:22pm
Cheers Jbee, Struggling with my 50D, fairly new to the digital age so any help is great. And like Darkmerlin suggests, we pay for a quality camera and getr a second rate manual. Will use site sponsor link aswell.

Thanks again for the research. :th3:

Tannin
03-11-2010, 12:20am
My Goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog thinks I am

Hmmm ... I'd probably settle for not being the horrible, selfish brute my cat thinks I am! :eek:

kettels
09-11-2010, 9:26am
hey thanks for this, might have to get one. Have you got the book yet, is the book better then the multimedia workshop

cheers

jbee
09-11-2010, 11:08pm
hey thanks for this, might have to get one. Have you got the book yet, is the book better then the multimedia workshop

cheers

Yes I have the Magic Lantern book by Michael Guncheon as well. The DVD came as two, one covering the 7d and one one general photography. I do not regret getting the book as well as it is extremely comprehensive and much faster, easier and more complete than the one Canon provide.
In summary I would still by both as I learn fastest with visual guides like DVD set, but find books faster to refresh my memory from, plus there is more fine detail included in the book which is not on the video guide.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ozjubb
01-12-2010, 10:30pm
In summary I would still by both.....k

Thanks for the info, have just ordered both from the site sponsor link, looking forward to some more detailed information about how to fly my new camera :D

pearson
01-12-2010, 11:16pm
This was very helpful. Cheers!

Kerro
03-12-2010, 6:18pm
Great, just ordered them and more.

sirbongo
03-12-2010, 9:57pm
just ordered one too, didnt realise they do multimedia as well, thanks guys...

kettels
10-12-2010, 9:13am
I ordered the book on the 15th of november from Fishpond and needless to say haven't recieved it yet and am going overseas in a few hours. They said there is problems with their shipping but it was to late for me to cancel my order, so be aware that if you do buy from them you might have a long wait ahead.