PDA

View Full Version : Yongnuo RF-602 flash sync issue

TEITZY
07-05-2010, 12:37am
This may have been addressed here already but I couldn't find aything doing a quick search. Anyway I was having a play with the Yongnuo triggers tonight and I found that my SB800 won't sync properly when using one receiver as a remote shutter release and the other on my SB800. The shutter opens and the flash fires but there is no difference in exposure between the flash and non-flash shot. I'm assuming the flash is firing before the shutter opens? If I just use the transmitter in the D300 hotshoe the flash syncs perfectly up to 1/250 every time.

I have tried various settings to no avail.

Cheers
Leigh

I @ M
07-05-2010, 2:13am
Leigh, I noticed the same thing a while ago and have never really revisited it to check if my theories are correct because I haven't really needed to use the combination that way.

My theory goes along the lines of when you use the transmitter to trigger a remote mounted flash, either camera mounted or hand held everything is fine as you have noted and is because it all happens instantaneously but when you use a transmitter to actuate the camera and the flash as you have described there is a pause in the sequence of triggering the camera and as you have thought, the flash fires first because the yongnuo attempts to perform either an autofocus function or to 'wake' the camera up from the meter or screen off state.
I was always going to have a play and set meter on/off to always on and also the screen to always on and have a try but haven't got around to it.
Even just having a hand held play with trigger and receiver you can see the tell tale lights change from red to green or vice versa and there seems to be the slight delay in proceedings.
I am not sure of the answer either or if there even is one. :confused013

OzzieTraveller
07-05-2010, 9:17am
G'day Leigh

Don't know anough about your specific flash but,
Some time ago while reading stuff on the Mecablitz site they mentioned that their slave-flashes could be set to actuate "on the 1st or 2nd" flash and described many primary flash guns as having "the first flash ie: the exposure measuring &/or red-eye flash" versus "the main exposure flash"

Mecablitz were referring to the slave as being able to be set to go off with the 2nd flash, not the 1st flash

Don't know whether this helps, I hope it may offer a path to solve it

Regards, Phil

MarkChap
07-05-2010, 9:22am
Leigh,
I read about this somewhere else.

The problem is pretty much as described by Andrew, it is the slight delay in the shutter firing, shutter lag, if you will, that is causing the problem.
The flash fires as soon as you press the remote, but there is enough lag in the camera to miss the flash.

The problem can be solved with 2 transmitters, set to different channels, one to use as a camera remote and the other mounted on the camera as you would normally,

That way you trigger the camera and then when the camera actually fires it triggers your flash.

TEITZY
07-05-2010, 10:12am
Ok thanks guys. Yeah I suspected as much. I did try different focus modes (using AF ON mode for focusing which stops the camera focusing when half pressing the Transmitter) and also different flash modes in camera (red eye, rear sync) and on the flash unit itself, but all with the same result. Even had a go at mounting the flash on the receiver in the camera hot shoe, but no joy.

Mark I think your idea is the best way to go.

Thankfully I don't need to use the triggers like that at the moment anyway :D

Thanks again.

Cheers
Leigh

MrJorge
07-05-2010, 12:09pm
Slightly off topic question... is the RF-602 still the latest and best offering from Yongnuo? Bit hard to find actual information on them and where they're up to in their versioning etc.

TEITZY
07-05-2010, 12:50pm
Hi Michael,
I only got mine about 3 weeks ago and the model number is RF-602 TX/RX. I assume this is still the latest model.

Cheers
Leigh

MrJorge
07-05-2010, 12:56pm
Ta Leigh. Sorry for hijacking :o

kiwi
07-05-2010, 2:49pm
I just bought these for my cousin

Yongnuo CTR-301P Wireless Flash Trigger + 3 Receiver

They seem much better than the ones I got not too long ago in that the receivers are much sturdier and can act as a base for the flash easily and they also now have optical triggers

MrJorge
07-05-2010, 3:01pm
I just bought these for my cousin

Yongnuo CTR-301P Wireless Flash Trigger + 3 Receiver

Yeah I keep hearing CTR-301P and RF-602 and no idea which is better. I'll look into it some more.