PDA

View Full Version : elevator photos, what would you use?

James Axford
05-05-2010, 9:41pm
taking some interior and some smaller details of the of the lift, nothing macro though.
I was thinking 17mm T-SE for most of the shots.
50mm f1.2 for some detail and shallow DOF.
and the 24-105 for everything else.
also a large strong tripod.
no flash as most surfaces in a life are reflective.

and thoughts?

Xenedis
05-05-2010, 9:50pm
I think a wide tilt/shift lens would be the most appropriate choice if this is an architecture-type shoot.

The size of the elevator may make a 50mm lens not particularly useful depending on what you want to show.

Even if you use a conventional wide rectilinear lens such as the 24-105, my advice is that you keep the axis of the lens parallel with the ground in order to avoid perspective distortion.

James Axford
05-05-2010, 10:00pm
i use a level on my ballhead it it should look pretty parallel. i thought the 50mm would be good for the photos of the door operator on top of the car, probably a good to blur out the dirty back ground of the top of the lift car. it's not too pretty

mikec
05-05-2010, 10:56pm
James I think shooting something like that will require a real eye for the details of it, things that make it special or unique. I'd agree some good shallow DOF shots would probably work well for that type of shot.

andrask
07-05-2010, 1:59pm
Are you after documentary accuracy or creative angles?

For the latter what you've got is ample. I think there would be much scope for more unusual captures with selected details and as suggested above a shallow DoF approach would enhance this.