PDA

View Full Version : Underwater Camera

ausguitarman
05-05-2010, 6:57pm
At the end of June I'm heading on holidays and I'm looking for a Underwater Camera. It's for basic snorkeling in relatively shallow water.

At this stage I'm leaning towards the Pentax W90 as over the years I've had some good success with Pentax P & S's.

Any thoughts would be appreciated :).

stoogest
05-05-2010, 7:53pm
I've just got back from holidays in Brazil/Argentina and bought myself a Panasonic DMC-FT1. Great little camera. Very sturdy, incredible HD video and works a treat underwater. Here's a picture of a manta ray that I swam with at Ilha Grande:

http://strikis.smugmug.com/Travel/Brazil/Ilha-Grande/11969285_G8Crk#855396539_jVxtq

I was tossing up between the Canon and the Panasonic (all reviews I had read of the Pentax weren't too flash) and went with the Panasonic due to it's more comfortable form factor (ie. can fit in your pocket!).

I've noticed that shops are selling the Panasonic real cheap at the moment (~$340 I think) as a new model has just been released.

Cheers!
Andrew.

ausguitarman
05-05-2010, 9:52pm
Great shot Andrew :kewl:.

That looks like a bargain. I had a look around and can pick one up for just over $300.00. It's big brother doesn't seem to bad either.

Read mixed reviews on the Pentax which is a shame as I've got some great pics from two of their P & S's in the past.

davros
05-05-2010, 10:06pm
If you are only planning on snorkeling then a Panasonic that Stoogest mentioned might be best for you. The camera itself is supposed to be waterproof to 3m. However if you are a scuba diver and want to the camera with you then I'd suggest a cannon ixus with their underwater housing. I've been using an ixus for several year and have been happy with it. The only side note I would mention for any underwater housing is to frost the inside of the housing - except in front of the flash of course. The light tends to bleed into unwanted areas even when you use the diffuser that comes with it.

dumbat
06-05-2010, 5:16pm
i have a canon powershot d10. it's waterproof, shockproof etc. i have had a lot of fun with it taking shots in the waves. i'd recommend it, check it out

swifty
06-05-2010, 8:40pm
FWIW even though I have no experience with it yet, I have decided on the panasonic FT2 when I buy it next month, also just prior to a holiday.
Unless of course something super comes along to change my mind.

ausguitarman
06-05-2010, 11:41pm
Think I'm going to go for the FT2 as well.

Thanks for the help everyone.