PDA

View Full Version : D90 & off cam SB26 help

steamy
05-05-2010, 5:45pm
Howdy,

Have my D90 now for a week now and tried a heap of things out
but I need some help on this one....
I'm using my onboard flash to fire my SB26 but can't get a shutter speed higher than 200,
this seems to be the limit.
Have looked through the menu and tried diff settings but no go.
Can I set it above 200 or is that it?

Also, the SB26 has TTL as an option as to the D90 but it doesn't seem to do anything
in relation to each other.

Any tips using this combo would be greatly appreciated.

cheers

I @ M
05-05-2010, 6:27pm
The SB26 and the D90 are NOT compatible as off camera ttl and flash combination.

The SB26 is able to be fired by the D90 onboard flash as a manual unit.

The D90 shutter speed won't go above the maximum synch speed when firing the onboard flash.

viscountvics
09-05-2010, 11:55pm
The SB26 and the D90 are NOT compatible as off camera ttl and flash combination.

The SB26 is able to be fired by the D90 onboard flash as a manual unit.

The D90 shutter speed won't go above the maximum synch speed when firing the onboard flash.
Qft. Sb26 cant be used as off camera ttl. Your best bet is probably get a cable and hot shoe mount. Or some wireless trigger. You will then be able to shoot faster than 1/200

JazzXP
10-05-2010, 8:48am
You don't want to shoot faster than 1/200 with a normal flash. 1/200 is the fastest speed you can get with the sensor fully exposed at a single point in time. Any faster than that and it will only be a single portion of it open causing part of your image to be dark when using a flash.

Big question is why do you want it faster than 1/200? A flash will freeze the image, so your shutter speed typically is only used to set the ambient light.

kiwi
10-05-2010, 10:11am
probably wants to as the ambient light is too strong to achieve a narrow DOF

I dont agree with having to stay at 1/200s on manual

You can set whatever shutter speed you like, the flash will still work to add light if you meter for the ambient

DesmondD
11-05-2010, 6:27pm
probably wants to as the ambient light is too strong to achieve a narrow DOF

I dont agree with having to stay at 1/200s on manual

You can set whatever shutter speed you like, the flash will still work to add light if you meter for the ambient

Past 1/200th second the focal plane shutter will cause part of the image to be exposed without flash . Unless you have a superior camera like a D40 with 'realsynch flash' (http://desmonddowns-ttlblflash.blogspot.com/2010/01/realsynch-flash.html) :D

kiwi
11-05-2010, 6:29pm
Sorry, I should have qualified and said if using ttl and fps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk