PDA

View Full Version : PS Colour shift when saving JPEG

Slide
05-05-2010, 7:02am
Hi everyone,
lately I have noticed a magenta shift occuring in my photos when I save to jpeg.

I'm using CS3 and as far as I can tell my my colour mangment settings are all the same (Adobe 1998) and I always save jpegs via "Save as". I have been wondering if its my monitor colour profile that adobe is picking up and trying to match?

bellow shots are of my colour settings, image mode and save as tabs.

Thanks, Jim.

ricktas
05-05-2010, 7:13am
AbobeRGB does tend to look 'flat', so if you have upped the saturation etc to get a nice vibrant photo, then when you convert to sRGB during the JPG saving process, the photos may look over vibrant. This is cause JPG was originally designed for web, but also has a colourspace that gives photos a bit of punch (cause they assumed that mum's n dad's liked the look of vibrant colours). So what happens is that as you save your JPG and it gets converted from AdobeRGB to sRGB in the process, the vibrancy jumps up a notch or two, and in some cases this can make it appear to be slightly over-saturated. Try decreasing the vibrancy/saturation by about 5-10% before you convert to JPG, and see if that resolves it. This is what I often do.

Also note, that JPG is an 8 bit format, so along with changing colourspace, the file will be downscaled from 16bit to 8bit as well.

Slide
05-05-2010, 4:53pm
Thanks Rick the thing that had me questioning my setting was I didn't remeber seeing shifts 2 or 3 months ago, it wouldn't really bother me but I plan on doing a large run of prints soon and if the printers need jpegs then I dont want to deal with all my shots changing colour. I'll try dropping the sat and see how I go.

Erin
08-05-2010, 10:13pm
I'd recommend you start working in sRGB as opposed to Adobe RGB. Saves second guessing on your images and fiddling around when you're trying to save them for web and prints. Either assign the profile or convert to the profile via your Edit menu.