PDA

View Full Version : Lens flare

Burning Image
04-05-2010, 8:57pm
Hi

i'm having problem with lens flare which is not noticable when shooting at the location...
The picture attached is a hdr of 6 images and it's only then that the lens flare is becoming apparent.

I'm not using any filter but are using lens hood...
I shoot with a 16-35mm lens and was wondering if anyone have any tips on how i can overcome this issue.

Many thanks

arnica
04-05-2010, 9:33pm
Just something basic: Have you tried shooting at a different time of the day?

Cause the sky seems a little blown out ...

arthurking83
04-05-2010, 9:35pm
lens flare is usually caused by having a point light source striking the front lens element.

there is a small lens flare circle just behind the desk chair in this image, and some minor flares up in the top of the bookcase area, and most likely caused by (for examples) the sun coming through the window, or a ceiling light being on and striking the front lens element, even though you have the hood on.
Going by how bright the outside is, through the window, I'd say that the sun was directly in view, or just out by a fraction of a millimeter, and there was very bright light filtering through those windows.

It's more the exception rather than the rule that a lens won't flare if a light source is directly striking the front lens element. the lenses that I have that do flare, I can always see the lens flare(in fact one of the things in my compositions that I always try to keep in check) so I try hard to minimise it with framing, or using something to shield the lens from the source of light(a hand or hat or head or arm, or whatever.. as long as it doesn't impinge on the framing.

Next time you're up for a new lens, the lenses resistance to flaring should be noted in any review.

Also.. if there is any dust in the lens, it could exacerbate the flare.. so maybe a service and a clean of the lens may be in order too.

.. otherwise ... :confused013

carnige
04-05-2010, 11:15pm
i do find that having the UV filter and A! filter stops alot of lens flare or me i shoot alot in the mid day and have never had a issue

Burning Image
05-05-2010, 10:54am
thanks for all your tips guys
thanks arther* for the great info

now i was just wondering if a CPL would fix this problem?

kwokask
05-05-2010, 12:30pm
Don't think a CPL will help - it actually may cause more flare as you are adding additional glass.

arthurking83
05-05-2010, 4:46pm
Actually It's funny that you ask about a CPL.

In 99.999% of cases a filter will always make it worse, and I'd love to see these filters that stop lens flare as carnige mentions!! :eek:

But sometimes I deliberately put a filter on my Sigma 10-20mm when shooting into a light source because it can change where the flare spot ends up in the frame.
I don't mind lens flare per se, and I prefer to minimise/eliminate it of course, but if I can't, and I want that framing, then if I can I'll try to place it in an area that's easier to clone out(or crop, or whatever).

JorgD
07-05-2010, 3:34pm
I noticed that hdr does seem to have a habit of accentuating lens flare. It is as though the algorithm notices the slightly lighter area and then thinks "hey, there is some great detail here that I just have to turn into a main feature".

If the light comes from the side, a bigger lens hood can do the trick, but with the light actually coming directly from the front (as is the case here), the only suggestion would be to Photoshop (or whatever tool you use) that area to reduce the flare.

Wide angle lenses do seem to flare more than telephoto lenses, and I doubt there are any commercially available lenses preventing lens flare.