PDA

View Full Version : Are PDFs a viable posting format?

ameerat42
04-05-2010, 11:45am
Hi All.
I can link to a PDF file with Firefox, but it loads Adobe Acrobat. Furthermore, on the site there is no thumbnail for the PDF, just a bland icon. So,
1. Is it worthwhile to post images as PDFs?
2. And anyway are there any good plug-ins or add-ons for Firefox to view PDFs without having to load Adobe Acrobat?
Thanks, Am.

SnowA
04-05-2010, 12:09pm
Don't know about 1, but there are some other PDF viewers that act as plugins for FF, eg Foxit reader.

You can tell FF whether to use a reader plugin (or to save) and which reader plugin to use in Tools>Options>Applications>(scroll down to PDF file type)>Pick option in Actions (right column)

Kym
04-05-2010, 12:26pm
For images its not worth it.

Generally PDF's are best linked from other sites.
As an attachment on AP they are size limited.

JPEG is the preferred option.

ameerat42
04-05-2010, 1:12pm
Thanks, SnowA and Kym.
Snow, I'll look into that for my own use.

This is what I meant, Kym. The images are on another site, but the url link to them only show a blank icon and then my Firefox loads AA to open them.

It's OK, though, because I don't want to have to foist an extra step on people. I'll just link to the jpegs there as usual.
Am.

ricktas
04-05-2010, 4:10pm
We allow PDF on AP cause sometimes a member may want to share a tutorial with others and its a good way to package it for downloading. The Ausphotography newsletter also is sent as a PDF and back copies are downloadable in this thread. (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=20959) So although it is not a great format for presenting photos for critique, it has its uses on forums, for other things.

ameerat42
04-05-2010, 4:27pm
Thanks Rick. I'm sticking to the usual way for posting images. Am.