PDA

View Full Version : re canon 180mm F 3.5 macro L lens

fairy bombs
03-05-2010, 2:27pm
Just wondering,if anyone using this lens on this site,I image some insect photographer have this lens or know a bit about it,

I checked the reviews,all great.My question is, could a lens like this be used for any other application as well as macro?i.e I thought I saw mention of it used in some sort potrait photography.Or is it just for use in macro with no other useful application in photography.

thanks FB

kwokask
03-05-2010, 3:39pm
As with all other macro lenses (maybe except for the MP-E), it can be used for normal purposes. The only problem usually is the slow auto-focusing of macro lenses, which can be somewhat mitigated by using the focus limiter switch appropriately.

Philr
03-05-2010, 3:57pm
I have this lens and it is great, very sharp. It is not limited to macro only, very sharp portrait, landscape, wildlife etc... It is only limited to the person using it. It is a great macro lens though, the beauty being you dont have to have the subject touching the front element. If macro is your thing you can't go wrong.

fairy bombs
03-05-2010, 4:06pm
I have this lens and it is great, very sharp. It is not limited to macro only, very sharp portrait, landscape, wildlife etc... It is only limited to the person using it. It is a great macro lens though, the beauty being you dont have to have the subject touching the front element. If macro is your thing you can't go wrong.

So Philr

Could it be used for sports action?or is focus too slow.I am pleased it cane be used for other

applications,as well as macro.not that it would be a problem if it could'nt be used for anything else than just macro,I hear its a fantastic macro lens.

thanks for feed back FB

Philr
03-05-2010, 4:10pm
I think for sports the AF would be too slow to really make it a lens you would buy for that particular reason. It is after all macro lens that you can put to use in other areas.

fairy bombs
03-05-2010, 5:23pm
No worries Plilr,

I thought as much,I pleased to hear that it can be put to other uses like potrait and landscape.It really is just a bonus-I hear it really is an outstanding macro lens,

cheers FB