PDA

View Full Version : High ISO, Low Noise P & S

Old Skool
02-05-2010, 5:24pm
Looking at maybe upgrading my P & S, which is really noisy at anything over 200ISO.
Prefer something small enough to slip in your pocket yet have at least 6-8x optical zoom. Would only need max 800ISO, most likely mainly used in 400 or 640 ISO range.
The Fuji F72EXR has 10x Zoom, and has good reviews for low noise, also looking at Lumix T27 / ZS3 with 12x Zoom. I have discounted the Canon SX210IS as too noisy at higher ISO going by reviews.

Anyone used these cameras?? If so what do you reckon - or is there other models I haven't looked at - (Canon G series too big)

Thanks

Steve Axford
02-05-2010, 5:53pm
I think all very small cameras are going to be high noise at high ISO. Either that, or dramatically reduced resolution at high ISO. I think this is the main reason that people lug around big cameras.

arthurking83
02-05-2010, 6:34pm
Panasonic DMC-LX3 is highly regarded(has a f/2.0-2.8 aperture lens too)

BUT!!... As per what Steve said.

Most of the issue is that they capture in jpg mode and to keep noise to acceptably low levels they use fairly high noise reduction amounts. So you may see lower noise levels but that may come at the expense of softer images, with ordinary looking colour reproduction.
A P&S that captures in raw mode may be an advantage.

for an easy to use review database, check out DPR, and search for a review on any of the cameras you're interested in. They compare them to 3 or 4 other similarly specced/price cameras and you get an easy to read comparison.

Old Skool
02-05-2010, 7:09pm
Looked at LX3 but only 2.5X Zoom.

kwokask
02-05-2010, 8:17pm
Canon S90 - zoom is a bit better at 3.8x vs the LX3.
It is also a bit more "pocketable" than the LX3.

steamy
02-05-2010, 10:04pm
Also the legendary Fujifilm F31fd, a collectors item for it's low light capabilities
and worth more now 2nd hand then when it came out new!!!!

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf31fd/

Old Skool
02-05-2010, 10:12pm
That's why I'm looking at the Fuji F72EXR, reviews say it takes over from the F31fd. I've looked at pics on Flickr taken at 400 & 800iso with the F72EXR and quality is outstanding. Also less than $300 so looks like that may be the go as good value.

Tricky
03-05-2010, 10:18am
Second what Steve said: P&S = small sensor = noise. Can't beat the laws of physics.

That said, you could give the (smallish) Canon G11 a go... aside from pretty good picture quality, it shoots in RAW and has full manual control.

Redgum
03-05-2010, 10:45am
Having said all that there is a background night shot of Brisbane on a billboard on the Beaudesert Road shot with an LX3. It's amazing what you can do with a P&S and photoshop.

OzzieTraveller
03-05-2010, 4:42pm
G'day Russell

While many of the comments above are quite valid - a larger sensor = lower noise etc etc - the EXR series from Fuji "DO" come in with very good reviews ... and my guess is that "if the camera maker claims good noise suppression above ISO-1000", then while shooting below ISO-1000 should result in very good NR pix

I have used a Fuji-5000 for many years (pity it has died) and if I could get another one tomorrow I would do so as it was/is a great and well made camera ... that being the case, I would have no difficulties in buying another Fuji if everything else fell into place

Regards, Phil