PDA

View Full Version : Experiments with my new 7D

jbee
28-04-2010, 10:51pm
I took my new camera out at the weekend and shot just over 800 images. Trying the same shots with different Iso's different F stops etc to try and figure out what all the settings and changes to them will do. I also just sat in my paddock for a while and practised making changes on the fly while not taking the camera from my eye, to see what could be quickly and easily adjusted in the viewfinder with out needing to use the rear menu screen, this way i hope to learn all the controls and have them become intuitive.
I found when using my 70-200 F4 lens with IS on and in AF servo mode at full zoom, that trying to photograph rapidly moving small birds like Wrens in foliage was pretty hard. I was using the pinpoint focus mode and there was so much variance in depth of the foliage that nearly every shot came out with some bit of the bush in focus but not the bird, I also tried different F settings to to try and deepen the depth of field to see if that would help, no luck there either.
Is it better in situations where there is a lot of small detail like this, to leave the IS on but turn off AF and focus manually? I did try it but by the time I had switched off the AF and practised on a fence with manual focus the wrens had all gone.
I also tried shooting some seagulls but it was a very dark cloudy sky and getting the underside of the Gull correctly lit was also difficult, any Tips?

Cheers - John

peterking
29-04-2010, 12:34am
Not from me as I am learning to use my 7D, but I will be watching this thread to, hopefully, get some tips.

Jeanette
29-04-2010, 9:01am
there are some great threads in the new photography area about getting the shots.. i have read many of them and learnt so much :)
also search for links with key words and different posts come up with the same issues and helpful hints :)

ameerat42
29-04-2010, 9:05am
...Is it better in situations where there is a lot of small detail like this, to leave the IS on but turn off AF and focus manually? I did try it but by the time I had switched off the AF and practised on a fence with manual focus the wrens had all gone...
Cheers - John
On this point, you took the words right out of my beak (as I was reading). It's called learning. We all do it.

For the gulls, post a pic or three so we can sea what you mean. Am.

JazzXP
29-04-2010, 4:39pm
I also tried shooting some seagulls but it was a very dark cloudy sky and getting the underside of the Gull correctly lit was also difficult, any Tips?

My suggestion would be to change to spot metering for this (rather than matrix or centre weighted). That said, I was playing around with spot metering the other day and I couldn't quite get it right, not sure what was wrong (will have to try again at some stage).

Mary Anne
03-05-2010, 2:56pm
Were you using a Tripod.. If Yes turn the IS off..
Have a look at this about focus (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-K8MP1HFnE ) with your 7D its very interesting

jbee
03-05-2010, 4:13pm
Thanks for you suggestions everyone, that video is great and the last bit answers some questions i have from trying to practice on moving subjects with my dogs last weekend. What a great hobby so much to learn, I love it.

Robert Horler
21-05-2010, 12:55pm
I too have a 7D and I tried to follow the video ( Thanks mary Anne) But where I got to the point of the guy saying "now press M-fn to see the focus points, my camera wouldn't do that ??? Any idea on this ?