PDA

View Full Version : outsource editing

matilda
28-04-2010, 9:50pm
I do apologies that I haven't posted in a while. Been busy, and when I have time i have limited download limit at night... which is the time i come on lol.

anyway

I've been presented an opportunity of being and outsource for editing for a photography company.

I've been ask to put together some packages, but I have no idea what to offer, which is why I'm asking your advice.

so help?!

Adrian Fischer
29-04-2010, 10:45am
good for you! Its a bit like how long is a peice of string. Do you know much about the company? Do you have any idea of what they want from you? A style? Cant you do it on an hourly basis? Or are you talking about a package to present to them of your ability?

matilda
30-04-2010, 8:35am
Adrian thanks for posting,

Yes it is like 'how long is a piece of string'.

I might recontact the person and clarify what they are after.

ricktas
30-04-2010, 9:08am
I know a few wedding photographers who outsource their editing. They take the photos, hand them to a person on a USB drive, that person does all the editing, based on a set of instructions, and photoshop actions etc, that that are provided. They then hand the USB drive back with all the edited photos for the photographer to present to the client.

It seems to work well for them, but their editors have spent time with the photographers and obtained a good understanding of what the photographer wants/needs.

I think if you are offered this type of role you have to have a good understanding of photoshop, be able to work at a level that the company wanting the work, require. Accept that at times you may have to edit photos in a totally different way to what you may perceive as the best way to edit that particular photo. You need to be able to interact with the company well, and have a good relationship with them, including very open lines of communication, so that you quickly understand what they need for each editing package, and be willing to do just that, not try and include your own style etc.

It can be a good way to make a few dollars, for those that are good at it.

matilda
05-05-2010, 8:15am
just thought I would give you and update of what is happening.

the owner of the company rang me last night, and she is really happy with the packages that I've put together.

So we are going to trial it out and see how it goes. But she is impressed on my editing skills so far.

I have to sign a confidentiality agreement (so she can't say that she edits or that i edit them etc etc), but i'm fine with that.

oh and for those of you who are wanting to know how this came about, I've been using facebook as a networking tool. I've been going on to friends of friends fav fan pages (mostly females, as the inserts I sell are targeted at women photographers), and that's how it came about.
So here is to the power of facebook!

Oh and we are going to use drop box. Cause she is located in qld and i'm in vic lol.