PDA

View Full Version : Netbook and software travel advice please

jbee
28-04-2010, 9:55am
Hi

I am off to the UK soon and am going to buy a 10in Netbook (only around a $300.00-$400.00 model )in order to dump off my photos each night, both to clear the card for the next day and so that i can view and delete all the out of focus or unwanted shots. As I am going to two major airshows and am still learning my camera, it is likely i will have more to discard than keep, although I hope for the reverse of course. I will also be buying a wireless Broadband stick in the UK to plug in for Internet access. ( Also taking and external back up drive to back up the netbook and store in a different suitcase - because I am a bit Paranoid)

Can any of you who currently use netbook for this tell me, what software you use for viewing / sorting / deleting photos on the move. I am thinking maybe Picassa as it's free and I do not want to do any editing at all.

Cheers - John

campo
28-04-2010, 10:04am
Whilst I'm not really in a position to discuss modern netbooks (i have the original 7" EeePC :)), I would recommend IrfanView (free) as a lightweight and fast image viewer. It reads basically every image format there is once you've install the plugin pack. It allows batch processing/renaming and has some neat features that you could use for viewing/sorting/deleting etc.

I think the external HDD is a good idea as netbook storage is sometimes limited, in addition to the extra security of a backup etc

An alternate option if you don't need internet access at your finger tips (ie. rely on internet cafes) is a device like the MediaKick SI (http://www.memorykickusa.com/Products.html). I have one and it's a great portable backup device...very fast at backup although the UI and screen isn't as good when compared to much much more expensive devices like the epsons p6000/7000s etc

ving
28-04-2010, 10:05am
for a little netbook and just for viewing and deleting soft OOF shots i'd use irfanview. make sure you get the raw plugin for it. it is fast and takes up very little memory.

jbee
28-04-2010, 10:57pm
Hi Ving and Campo

Thanks for your advice and for the link to the MemoryKick, looks like a neat device but i think i will stick with the Netbook. It is good that you both chose to nominate Irfanview, if both replies recommend the same tool that will do for me. I took a look at the website for it and will download it and practice before I go. Especially happy it will do RAW as well. I have never used RAW before but intend to for my Holiday especially for the Airshow photos.

Cheers and thanks John

mikec
29-04-2010, 9:15am
I'd use Irfanview too, great little application. You can do batch processes and stuff like that too and like others have said will read all files once you install the plug in.

dsaini
18-05-2010, 9:01am
Have you seen the new Acer Aspire AS1410???

Its 11" Netbook but with a dual core Processor (SU2300) which is miles ahead of Atom and it still maintains good battery life.

pgbphotographytas
18-05-2010, 10:52am
I use IrfanView and Picasa on my netbook with good results.

brownie
18-05-2010, 6:03pm
+1 for IrfanView. I've been using it for years.

MarkChap
18-05-2010, 6:14pm
Fastone (http://www.faststone.org/) for me, I use the "portable" version which can run from a USB drive if you wish, no actual install process. Also includes some basic editing functions if you so choose

I however basically use my net book to get my images from my CF card to an external hard drive. I don't make any descisions on the netbook screen.

If an image is not bad enough to delete from the screen on the camera, I just keep it until I get home and can view them on the bigger screen.