PDA

View Full Version : Business Name

vickic
27-04-2010, 8:54pm
Hi everyone,
I am a little stuck as to what I should name my business. I read through a post on here and suggestions were to not use personal name.. but then others say to use it.
I seriously want to get a business going and the name just gets me stuck!
I have thought of Natural Expressions? Capture That ?
Then with my name VC Photography?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Vicki

Gypsy
27-04-2010, 11:25pm
Hi Vicki, I had the same dilema recently, I ended up going with my name.
Reason being... I liked the idea of a name such as (just using your example) Natural Expressions ... but I wanted to allow myself to 'grow' if I wanted. I'm photographing people (babies/kids mostly) now, but what if I decided to get into landscape... the title wouldn't quite work.
As well as that everything that I came up with was taken anyway! So I decided to keep it simple and just used my name.

I do like Natural Expressions though.

Redgum
28-04-2010, 12:10am
Vicki, any name you choose can work if you market it correctly. Whilst some people feel the name should relate to the business that is not necessarily so (look at all those who use their own names).
You need to have confidence in your chosen name and the ability to sell it to prospective customers. Ideally, the name itself will become popular and well known in the industry of choice. Using your own name can be problematic particularly if your business flounders some time in the future. Not only will your business suffer but there could be reflections on your family name. Of course, if you're not serious about your business from the outset this will make little difference. Evidence of this can easily be found in the monthly liquidation lists where over 90% of wind-ups are individuals.
I haven't had to advertise the television side of my business since 1992 (Redgum) simply because the name has become synonymous with that kind of work in Queensland.
It's kind of funny because more people call me Redgum than by my proper name. Even my kids, and that's sad. :eek:

vickic
28-04-2010, 12:59pm
Thank you so much for your replies.. I am still unsure... but I do like "Shot by Capponi" ???? any thoughts

Redgum
28-04-2010, 1:56pm
Thank you so much for your replies.. I am still unsure... but I do like "Shot by Capponi" ???? any thoughts
Here's a logo for you...

vickic
28-04-2010, 3:26pm
lol... So wat are your thoughts about the name... Thanks for the logo!!

ving
28-04-2010, 4:15pm
Vicki See Images... :p

Redgum
28-04-2010, 4:19pm
lol... So wat are your thoughts about the name... Thanks for the logo!!
Well, if you can sell that sort of image as a photographic business it will do well otherwise you may have problems. Are you a gangster by nature??? :cool:

vickic
28-04-2010, 5:10pm
So I take it.. that name won't work..LOL... it is very unique... well maybe back to the drawing board..

Jeanette
28-04-2010, 7:19pm
Captures by Capponi if you like your name.
nicer imagery .. :)

Shane.R
28-04-2010, 9:27pm
VC Photography has a nice ring to it. But that gangster logo is silly, unless you replace the gun with a camera :)

vickic
28-04-2010, 9:30pm
oh no I wasnt using that gangster photo..lol.. I think that member was kidding.. well I hope so. lol..
yes I like VC photography.. I have someone doing a logo for "Shot by Capponi" as they said once I see the logo it will change things as it is very well done... so we will see.

Shane.R
28-04-2010, 9:35pm
Cool! When do we get to see it?

vickic
28-04-2010, 9:47pm
As soon as it is emailed to me I will show you.. hopefully I will like it.. it is driving me nuts in finding a name for my business.

Redgum
28-04-2010, 9:55pm
Shane, that graphic was simply to show how some people can interpret your business name and if you want to survive you need to counter that. Having said that, choosing a name is probably one of the least important issues when starting a business.

Shane.R
28-04-2010, 11:09pm
Shane, that graphic was simply to show how some people can interpret your business name and if you want to survive you need to counter that. Having said that, choosing a name is probably one of the least important issues when starting a business.

These days, most folk will identify a 'preference' via a logo. So yes, I agree.

..re the graphic. I just though you may have put a little more into it :)

Hey, you wanna do a doco on drain painters?

vickic
29-04-2010, 11:23am
I will see how my logo turns out and go from there... otherwise I might go with VC Photography?

Thanks for all your input tho!
vicki

Jhpomyzen
01-05-2010, 11:28am
Hello Vickic
I am a new member also but have been in business over many years. Although not in photography. To me a business name must be easy to remember, and to make it known to all just what you are there for. I owned and operated a restuarant for 15 years. because my wife and I were both grandparents we used that name but in the language of the style of food it offered. It stuck with the population that visited we won awards for best known, best tourist spot and food value. It was around for close to 20 years with the same name until people who had purchased it changed now it is unknown.
You are in Townsville area which I have lived in for 7 years. as an idea what about 'tropical photography' or something along those lines.
Regards
John H

Bear Dale
01-05-2010, 4:27pm
VicPic

vickic
30-07-2010, 10:42am
Well I have decided on Angelic Photography. Very pleased with my decision.. :)

kiwi
30-07-2010, 10:47am
Youll need to register it as a company now in qld if you intend to trade with that name, if you just used your own name you wouldn't

Looking at your website, I see that you're also advertising weddings etc, but, you have no examples of that anywhere ?

vickic
30-07-2010, 11:02am
Yes I have already registered my business name as I am quite aware of using a name apart from personal that I need to register, so I done this straight away. Yes the wedding package I havent yet put photos up ... I need more time in my days, but will get around to it. ;)