PDA

View Full Version : My Digital World International Experience

Dylan & Marianne
27-04-2010, 8:17pm
I've heard a lot of good feedback from many people who have used DWI for purchases
I thought I'd share my story and see if it raises any concerns.

Initial items I wanted were
- 7d body alone
- 70-200 F2.8 Canon IS version I lens

I emailed them to ask if them if they were in stock : they replied yes on both counts
I ordered almost immediately but found that after 5 days, no update on the order, no billing had occurred.
They eventually rang to tell me that both were actually out of stock and that they would have to order the items in . Furthermore, they thought they would have difficulty getting the version I of the 70-200 F2.8 so after a bit of debate, we informed them through email and phone conversation that we would get the version II instead. We were assured that we would have our goods by the following week.
A week passed, and then another. No update on their site, no email update. At some point in time my credit card got charged for the original price (version I lens price) but no update occurred either through email or online. We had to call again and then they stated we would have our gear the following week.

We have now received a 7d, the version II lens - all in the appropriate packaging, but externally, wrapped as a gift with an invoice stating that two items cost a total of 900 AUD. No proper receipt at all.
I'm now waiting for someone to charge me for the whole new order all over again - or perhaps I got lucky and paid for the version I lens instead of the version II.

Either way, it was all very poor communication and a white lie to draw me into buisness.
I personally would have reservations dealing with them again.

on a side note - I handheld a shot with the 70-200 at 1/3 exposure with IS on and was amazed with the 99% lack of any visible blurring! warrants alot of testing ahead!

tomtom1
27-04-2010, 10:37pm
on a side note - I handheld a shot with the 70-200 at 1/3 exposure with IS on and was amazed with the 99% lack of any visible blurring! warrants alot of testing ahead!

Nice, what focal length?

farmer_rob
27-04-2010, 10:51pm
I'm guessing you chose DWI for price - although they obviously failed to give you confidence in the process, you ended up with (sort of) what you wanted.

Did the delay cause real inconvenience (as opposed to thwarted desire:D)? Was there a enough difference between the DWI price and alternative suppliers to mitigate the worry? (I tend to think that grey market import vs local is a tradeoff between price and ease of transaction.)

I must add that I'd be wary after the "in-stock" white lie.

kaiser
27-04-2010, 10:57pm
I just got my Tokina 10-17mm Fisheye from DWI today. Ordered about a month ago. Same deal with you, a lot of stuffing around and difficulty getting stock in - but I was in no rush and was happy to wait to save a few $$. If your order is more than $1000AUD inc shipping - they attach a bogus invoice to avoid customs tagging on GST and any levies. YOu might be able to get an actual figure invoice emailed to you if you ask them? Apart from the above I don't really have any qualms. Oh, apart from packaging which coud be a little more generous. The original box wrapped in one layer of bubble wrap. I'd prefer it wrapped in bubble wrap then suspended in that puffed wheat stuff in a larger box. But hey that's being fussy. Good Luck.

OzzieTraveller
29-04-2010, 8:15am
G'day dtoh

My only exp with DWI went very well - the camera was "in stock" and arrived on the doorstep 3-4 days later. Emails advised the despatch date "from the warehouse" [in HK] and gave all the consignment details etc

It arrived at the door courtesy of a local courier mob, well packaged and all's well

Regards, Phil

N*A*M
29-04-2010, 11:50am
i bought my 70-200mm vr and 85mm 1.4 from them and in each case i paid into an ANZ bank on wednesday and got my lens on friday at work

Wayne
29-04-2010, 4:30pm
I bought 6 SB900 from them. I asked were they in stock and was told "yes" they arrived about a week after I ordered. No concerns about the product, but it took a little longer than expected for courier delivery. Same bodgy invoice on the package which was fine as it meant no duty, I emailed them and got correct invoice.

pod3009
29-04-2010, 7:36pm
Hi - I have used DWI on two separate occasions. I bought a Tamron 90mm macro and the Sigma 150-500mm lenses. No problems and speedy delivery both times. I am very happy and have no reason to not consider further purchases from them.

Dylan & Marianne
29-04-2010, 7:50pm
To answer the main question
I didn't really need the gear but there are some occasions where that might be the case.
In that instance, from this experience, I'd definitely not put my trust in them to deliver in a timely fashion.
As it is , I'm ecstatic with the goods, just dubious about process.

soulman
29-04-2010, 8:33pm
As it is , I'm ecstatic with the goods, just dubious about process.I can't help but wonder what other dodgy things they do if they're prepared to engage in fraud, which is what they're doing by understating the value of the goods. Perhaps they are just trying to help customers and see it as a means-justified-by-ends sort of situation, but it's not something with which I feel comfortable.

kathfern
29-04-2010, 9:31pm
I used DWI to buy my 550D and have to say the transaction was easy and had no issues. Received item within 3 days of placing order. No issue with packaging and manual wasn't photocopied etc.

Interesting though that there is such varied experiences.

Dylan & Marianne
29-04-2010, 9:54pm
yea this is a once off for me as well because of all the good feedback I had heard

linden
29-04-2010, 11:26pm
I bought a 50D and a 50mm f1.8 from DWI.
Order was delivered 2 business days later.

Very happy with my purchase.

beaco
24-05-2010, 10:48pm
I've ordered gear from them in the past - no issues.

Matix
24-05-2010, 10:56pm
No problem at all, have purchased several lenses from them, service and communication was similar to Ebay purchasing, which in effect it was. I would recommend them.

Phil

fairy bombs
27-05-2010, 9:25pm
I have never purchased anything 'online' in my life,I was a wondering how it all sort off worked,I read a lot of post re DWI on this forum,And really could'nt see anything to fear.

So I was big and brave and ordered a Canon 50D late Monday evening,just gone,the next day a chap rang to confirm address,and to tell me my 50D and spare battery would arrive on Thursday (today),I got confirmation via fedEX,and DWI via email,as to dispatch etc,tracking,it was very good,I did not expect my parcel to arrive today,as I live in country QLD.

However,was reall y suprised it arrived this morning!,can you believe that!all the way from Hong Kong! it that short amount of time!!

WOW!,I was amazed,quicker than Australian retailers,nicer friendlier service and I save money!

I purchasing from DWI again!!! well done,and thank you AP people for helping me enter the computer/internet world:food04:
II