PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for upcoming paid shoot

Omytion
27-04-2010, 5:18pm
I potentially have the opportunity to shoot some photos for an artist's first album (possibly just the inserts, maybe the cover itself). The job is paid but is being offered word of mouth, I'm guessing the label is a small one to be considering such an inexperienced photographer. But if I get the chance I'm certainly not going to turn it down.

If anyone has any thoughts about what I should be asking them prior to accepting the job I would appreciate it.

I'm thinking of asking for instance, will there be an art director involved? (far less work for me), a stylist?, do they have storyboards or other reference material for what they want? Will they want ownership of the final product? Things like that.

Any other ideas?

ricktas
27-04-2010, 5:25pm
ongoing use of image(s) or one-off. IE, will they use the photos in future for posters etc, as well as album art.

para
27-04-2010, 5:45pm
would get a right of use contract made up.

keith-killer
27-04-2010, 6:56pm
I have made a few CD covers using photoshop and/or photographs for small and big artists. An album cover is going to be used a lot to promote the Album on websites and in magazines etc. If you are lucky they may make up merchandise as well. You would want a contract. From my experience with this sort of thing, they will really want the artwork for whatever they like. A band would not like if the same photo turned up elsewhere that was not in line with their image etc. Example: You would not be able to sell the photo as stockphoto so it ends up in a K-Mart catalogue on a $50 MP3 player screen or such. (happened to a musician I know in the US)

I can still use the photos/artwork I made for the cover project in my portfolio etc but can't sell it. I am making it for them, kind of like making peice a furniture perhaps, I have photos of it for reference, but once I sell it, they do what they want.

When I shoot a concert, my agreements with the bands is usually different, we can both sell/use them for magaziens etc, use them as well like, I try get editorial sales etc, but I don't make up merchandise other than prints. (They don't really want me making T-shirts etc)

I have had a ton of photos (not artwork modified) inside CDs too that other people have done the layout on. In those cases we both have the right to use the images. They use them for promotion and I can also sell prints as well.

I always ask for them to put photo credits where possible (a bit hard on a t-shirt :) )

Overall it is pretty cool to see your photos in or on CDs, DVDs, at Amzon or iniTunes and on merchandise etc. Once you get going, other bands, and bigger bands might start knocking.

Good luck with the shoot, and as you said, contact them before hand and clarify everything they want.

P.S. Ross Halfin has some great photos on his website that can give you inspiration.

Omytion
27-04-2010, 11:31pm
brilliant, lots to think about there. Thankyou very much all.

First off they want to see examples of my work. I've only got girls really of any quality so I'm going to sneak out at lunch tomorrow and do a mock shoot in the company car park.

Hard core :) I'l blog the progress!

Shane.R
28-04-2010, 9:33pm
Congrats Omytion, but how does one get involved? Are there agencies you can contact? I look forward to your blog.

Omytion
29-04-2010, 3:14pm
Congrats Omytion, but how does one get involved? Are there agencies you can contact? I look forward to your blog.

Not in this case. This is a word of mouth thing via a friend who is a designer, and as I said probably very low budget otherwise they'd get someone who knows what they're doing/with a reputation; not some know-nothing noob. I've sent my "portfolio" that I think is relevant plus the shots from yesterday which are a bit "meh" (I'll put them up in the appropriate forum when I've blogged them).

My attitude is just to jump at any chances I think are challenging (which to be fair is almost everything) and do as much prep work as possible. If it DOES happen I think a possible course of action is contacting an agent to find more work. It's a kind of "only live once" approach :)

Omytion
03-05-2010, 8:25pm
As an update I had word that the art director "loved" the mini portfolio I sent, but that could of course mean anything from "hate" upwards. The job's not happening, allegedly, because they don't have the time/budget to get the artist to Sydney and they're doing it on the cheap. (maybe with a polaroid for all I know) I'm going to take the reply at face value and since I have a full time day job I can happily consider it one that just got away.

I wrote the shoot up on blog if you're interested. (http://ppphotoblog.com/?p=439).

Thanks again for all the advice I'll save it for next time!