PDA

View Full Version : Nikon Camera Control Pro 2

rborsje
26-04-2010, 10:30pm
First post.

I've downloaded the Nikon CCP2 software and loaded it onto both a Vista laptop and an XP desktop but it doesn't seem to work. I connect up my D700 , turn it on (obviously!) and wait but "No camera connected" appears. There doesn't seem to be a way of getting it to manually sync - the toolbar is pretty sparse. I was thinking of getting this software but this problem is putting me off.

Has anyone had successful or similar experiences?

arthurking83
26-04-2010, 10:43pm
make sure you set the camera to MTP/PTP!!

In the Set Up Menu on the camera.(spanner icon)

look for the USB connection settings setup and you should have it set to Mass Storage, for when you want to transfer files across to your PC direct from the camera.

Change that to MTP/PTP and CCP should instantly recognise the camera as a camera device.

up to that point Windows recognises it as a mass storage(disk drive) device.

note; if you have a CF card reader, it's faster than the camera will be, but not by much. if you find that you do end up getting a card reader, then set and leave the camera set up as a MTP/PTP device.

hope that helps.

arthurking83
26-04-2010, 10:46pm
OH! and note:

when you start using CCP, it doesn't save to the card AND the hdd at the same time.. only the directory that you pointed the program too on the HDD. no images wil be saved to the HDD.

There are a few programs that can do that(save to both CF card and HDD, but then they're limited in other aspects like controlling the camera and using LiveView directly from the PC/lappie.

Can't remember the names of them ATM.. but I'll get back to 'ya if you really want those alternatives.

For all it's limitations CCP2 seems to work quite well.

(I only trialled the program on my WinXP install. Don't have it now, but I may try it again on my Win7 install just for kicks).

ps. Lightroom3(if you use that) can also capture images direct from the camera, but it;s much less featured than CCP is.. only really captures the images and no real camera control.

rborsje
27-04-2010, 11:08pm
Thanks for responding, Arthurking, but I've done more research and unfortunately Nikon removed that USB Mass Storage vs. MTP/PTP selection from the D700's set up menu!!! A different forum member (photo.net) states that he can see his D700 file structure on Vista but not WinXP!! Ummmmm not good methinks. I've perused my Thom Hogan D700 books and the Nikon manual and no mention of setting PTP/MTP.

Ah well, it isn't the end of the world if it doesn't work. Has any other forum member got their D700 to work with CCP2?

I @ M
28-04-2010, 12:29am
After a bit of a read and curious examination of our D700 menu I found a few things.

The D700 is always in MTP/PTP mode with the usb connector.

Windoze XP SP2 or Vista SP1 should see the camera.

XP SP2 on my PC sees our D700 as soon as it is plugged in and switched on.

I don't have CCP2 to try though.

I suspect that you have a PC problem rather than camera or Nikon software problem.

Have you updated either XP or Vista to their relative service packs?

rborsje
01-05-2010, 2:01pm
I@M - thanks. I should make it clear that I can access all photos on the D700 using Nikon Transfer so there's no problems there, it's just the use of CCP2 is not available. I will send an email to Nikon this weekend and see if they respond.

Thanks anyway!

rborsje
08-05-2010, 6:27pm
It works! Nikon replied that the latest version of CCP2 should. I downloaded it and it did function correctly. Seems Nikon realised that D700 users couldn't use this software. So I was able to take photos from my computer. After 3-4 shots I thought "What am I doing? Forget it. Use your own arms and legs". As an amateur CCP2 might be useful for saving camera settings but how often would you reset the camera to defaults? You can always write down your settings or use Custom Settings.

I @ M
08-05-2010, 6:51pm
Good to hear an update on that one.
Unfortunately, software support at Nikon sometimes lags behind camera development and it takes a cattle prod or 3 to get things working.