PDA

View Full Version : Focus Screen

Firemansam
25-04-2010, 6:11pm
Is it worthwhile to change the standard focus screen in my canon 400D to a split focus one. Is there any real benefit?

ricktas
25-04-2010, 6:14pm
A split screen is just another alternative for focusing. Split screen was common prior to the mid 80's and some move to them with DSLR for a variety of reasons, but I cannot help but wonder if nostalgia is part of it?

Will it make your focusing any better? not really. modern AF systems are highly developed and tuned. So in the end it is really down to personal preference.

farmer_rob
25-04-2010, 10:06pm
A split screen is just another alternative for focusing. Split screen was common prior to the mid 80's and some move to them with DSLR for a variety of reasons, but I cannot help but wonder if nostalgia is part of it?

Will it make your focusing any better? not really. modern AF systems are highly developed and tuned. So in the end it is really down to personal preference.

Sorry Rick, I have to disagree here - I don't think it is nostalgia or preference. It is a means to overcoming deficiencies in low end cameras without spending big bucks on high end cameras. On the lower end cameras (such as my d40x) you have such a small viewfinder and limited focus points (three on the d40x). Sure, if your subject is on a focus point, the focus is crisp and sharp, otherwise, good luck. "Focus and recompose" requires more hands than I have if I am using a tripod, and manual focus is a hit&miss affair on wide-open aperture. BTW, I have no idea where the Canon 400D fits re high or low end camera.

Firemansam: regardless of what I said above, I do not think there is a need to change to a "proper" focus screen unless you are already having difficulties that need solving. In spite of my issues, I have survived 3 years without one - I am just more aware of what I can and can't do.

Firemansam
26-04-2010, 12:30am
Thanks guys.