PDA

View Full Version : Gear Lists

Analog6
24-04-2010, 4:46am
I decided to start a Gear List thread so I can link to it in my signature, rather than have all that guff at the bottom. I got the idea from the POTN site. I searched and had a good lokk on here and couldn't find this facility, so I do hope it was not here already!

Feel free to add yours, you link it as below.

Notice in the upper right hand corner of this post there is a number one ( #1 )
This is the hyper link to this specific post. Next post in the thread has. . . you guessed it . . a number 2, and so on.

SO . . Make your own nice Gear Link post and add it to this thread. Once it has a post number, mine is #2, then copy the link embedded in YOUR POST NUMBER by right clicking / Ctrl click for Mac on the number and selecting "copy link location" (or whatever appropriate term depending on your browser) to link directly to your own post in this thread. Do not use the number is THIS post, use the number in YOUR POST.

You then go to your signature via the UserCP, add the words "Gear List" or "Equipment" or "My Brag List" or "My Stuff" whatever you want to call it, double click on it, open the little link icon (the globe with the chain link in the format post area) and paste this in there.

Voila! You have a gear list link in your signature.

Then when you click on the Gear Link in your post, or when anyone else does, they'll jump to YOUR post in this thread! You can include as much or as little info as you want. Some people on POTN out 'former gear', afraid I haven't gone that far, just my current stuff, maybe I'll add that one day.

Analog6
24-04-2010, 4:46am
Cameras - Digital
Canon 1DsMkII
Hasselblad H2 + HV90x (viewfinder) + PHASE ONE P20 digiback
Panasonic Lumix FZ35 with Leica 2.8 lens (shoots RAW)

Zooms
Canon 16-35Lf 2.8 MkII USM
Canon 24-105L f4 IS USM
Canon 100-400L f4 IS USM

Primes
Hasselblad HC 80 f2.8
Hasselblad HC 150 f3.2
Hasselblad HC 210 f4

Cameras - Film
Canon T90 with Databack
Hasselblad 553elx +viewfinder + superslide film back (4x4)

Zooms
Soligor 19-35 f3.5-4.5
Canon FD 35-70 f2.8-3.5
Tamron F 85-210 f4.5
Tokina 500mm mirror lens

Primes
Sonnar Synchro-Compur 150 f4 (silver)
Zeiss Makro-Planar CFi 120 f4

Light
Yongnou Speedlite YN 460

Filters and accessories
Lee ND soft grad set
Cokin P assorted filters incl CP
Various remote trigger cords and an interval timer for the Canon

Support
Manfrotto 055-Nat + 141CRNAT
Manfrotto 190XPRO + Fancier FT9706 gimbal head
Manfrotto 680B monopod + 322RC2

Bags & Cases
Pelican 1400; 1510 &1550
Pelican custom case for Phase One P20
Lowepro Omni Trekker (fits into P1550)
Naneu Sahara 115F
Billingham 445
A few other assorted bags & cases

Processing
iMac 24" + Mac PowerBook 15"
Adobe CS4

Wishlist
Hasselblad H4 with 65Mb back
Hasselblad H4D-60 (a mere $AUD55,000.00!)
HC 3.5-4.5/50-110 lens (this fits my H2)
HCD 4-5.6/35-90 lens (this one has to wait for an H4D)
Hasselblad Converter H 1.7X
Hasselblad HVM waist level viewfinder
Hasselblad GIL GPS - Global Image Locator (H3 onwards only)
Canon 1Ds Mark IV (when it comes out)
Canon 600L
Canon 1200L
Canon 1.4 x II TC

Analog6
24-10-2010, 10:28am
Opdated Oct 2010

Cameras - Digital
Hasselblad H2 + HV90x (viewfinder) + PHASE ONE P20 digiback
Panasonic Lumix FZ35 with Leica 2.8 lens (shoots RAW)

Zooms
Hasselblad HC 50-110 f3.5-4.5

Primes
Hasselblad HC 80 f2.8
Hasselblad HC 150 f3.2
Hasselblad HC 210 f4

Cameras - Film
Canon T90 with Databack

Zooms
Soligor 19-35 f3.5-4.5
Canon FD 35-70 f2.8-3.5
Tamron F 85-210 f4.5
Tokina 500mm mirror lens

Light
Yongnou Speedlite YN 460

Filters and accessories
Lee ND soft grad set
Cokin P assorted filters incl CP

Support
Manfrotto 055-Nat + 141CRNAT
Manfrotto 190XPRO + Fancier FT9706 gimbal head
Manfrotto 680B monopod + 322RC2

Bags & Cases
1510 & 1550
Pelican custom case for Phase One P20
Lowepro Omni Trekker (fits into P1550)
Billingham 445
A few other assorted bags & cases

Processing
iMac 24" + Mac PowerBook 15"
Adobe CS4
Capture One 5

Wishlist
Hasselblad H4 with 65Mb back
Hasselblad H4D-60 (a mere $AUD55,000.00!)
HCD 4-5.6/35-90 lens (this one has to wait for an H4D)
Hasselblad Converter H 1.7X
Hasselblad HVM waist level viewfinder
Hasselblad GIL GPS - Global Image Locator (H3 onwards only)

Big Pix
24-10-2010, 11:07am
............ always have a wish list, but why tell the world what you own

in2fx
24-10-2010, 11:23am
My Wish List :D

More Toys LOL

Wayne
24-10-2010, 1:40pm
The issue I see with this thread is that you won't be able to come back and edit the post as gear changes.
I agree with Big Pix, why tell everyone what you own...

Xenedis
24-10-2010, 1:48pm
It makes more sense for people to host their gear lists somewhere else, such as on their own sites or their profile pages on their image hosting accounts.

Yes, it's not possible to edit posts here after a relatively short period of time, and whenever a person buys a new piece of gear, it would warrant a new post in the thread. Frankly, most people don't care.

However, to answer Wayne's question, some people who might be interested in certain gear may contact someone familiar from the forums if (s)he owns it. I've had people on the Internet contact me for advice about gear.

I see nothing wrong with putting that information out there; I just don't see that a thread on AP is the appropriate place to do so.

Wayne
24-10-2010, 8:23pm
However, to answer Wayne's question, some people who might be interested in certain gear may contact someone familiar from the forums if (s)he owns it. I've had people on the Internet contact me for advice about gear.

I see nothing wrong with putting that information out there; I just don't see that a thread on AP is the appropriate place to do so.

That is a good point and one I had not thought of. I guess nobody really lives close enough to me to come and rob me... :eek:

ricktas
24-10-2010, 9:24pm
Go to SETTINGS (top right of AP)
On menu down the left click EDIT PROFILE
Go down to ADDITIONAL INFORMATION
There is a gear section there.

When someone click on your profile and views the "About Me" tab, it will show.

Ray Heath
24-10-2010, 9:39pm
Why? Surely it's more about what you do with it than what you've got.

Kym
24-10-2010, 9:49pm

Understanding what gear people have helps in understanding how they shoot.

arthurking83
24-10-2010, 10:12pm

And further to Kym's reply, we've found(or at least I've noticed) that a lot of folks will reply to your image posts, with questions asking which/what lens/gear you've used to shoot a particular scene.
I leave all my images with full exif info intact, so that they can glance at the images exif, and then through the gear list and see what certain gear is capable of producing.
It's not always about flaunting what you've got, (for me at least) it's a preemptive reply about what gear was used to capture an image.

Big Pix
24-10-2010, 10:53pm
A
I leave all my images with full exif info intact, so that they can glance at the images exif, and then through the gear list and see what certain gear is capable of producing.
It's not always about flaunting what you've got, (for me at least) it's a preemptive reply about what gear was used to capture an image.

...... the equiptment that you use to shoot an image is listed in the EXIF data

Xenedis
24-10-2010, 11:05pm
...... the equiptment that you use to shoot an image is listed in the EXIF data

Lenses and cameras can be, yes.

Filters, flashes and other types of equipment won't be listed.

arthurking83
24-10-2010, 11:11pm
camera info is described (verbatim) in the exif data. some exif readers can't see it all, and some image editors(Adobe are notorious for it) destroy a lot of it.

in an unbarstardized image, with the correct exif viewing program, you can also read the info that describes how you've setup your camera.. stuff like what focus mode you've set, whether the centre weighted metering spot is set to 6mm, 8mm, 10mm or 12mm(Nikon).. whether you're using the the battery in the grip first, or the battery in the body first.

Some info, such as brand of lens, is not always transmitted. I've seen some Sigma info transmitted in some cases, but not others. Of course if you have a full manual lens(no CPU) then of course lens info is not transmitted by the lens itself, it'll be relayed by the camera body, if the camera body is capable of accepting the lens data as an input to help it determine metering and so forth.
eg, if I connect my Tamron 70-200/2.8 lens, it;s listed as a 70-200/2.8 G lens in the exif, which is close to the Nikon equivalent, except that Nikon use 70-200/2.8GVR(where the VR is referring to the optical stabilisation in the lens). Exif will also record if the VR was turned off or on as well. I've never seen Tamron listed in any exif data I've read through(doesn't mean its not there, just means I haven't used every exif reader available! :p)

EDIT: just checked, and Tamron is also listed as a lens manufacturer too... my mistake. It depends on the program you choose to view the exif info.