PDA

View Full Version : Doing a TFCD session - what will I give?

abitfishy
22-04-2010, 6:32pm
I'm doing a 'Time for CD' modeling session and so far only have a verbal agreement. I am putting together a model release for him to sign.

However, I just read a post where someone in the same situation only gave 20 or so edited images. I was planning on giving him MOST of the original photos, minus the 'bad' ones.

Is there a generally accepted arrangement in this regard? Is there any reason why I shouldn't give him the majority of the photos?

Can anyone suggest a suitable paragraph to put in the model release?

Thanks

kiwi
22-04-2010, 6:43pm
It's really up to you and him, I believe 20 well processed photos are better than 100 quickies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bigdazzler
22-04-2010, 7:16pm
I find a good rule of thumb is to give them what you consider to be the best of the shoot. I cull in LR, then edit the best of the bunch, and then supply the best of the edits. Usually turns out to be anywhere between 5 and 20 images. The standard for TF is usually minimum 4 hi res images to be used for promotion by everyone involved. Hope this helps a bit .. :)

abitfishy
22-04-2010, 7:51pm
Really? I didn't think so few.

I told him I'd cull mistakes, supply most of the good ones unedited and edit some of the best. I'm happy with that.

DAdeGroot
22-04-2010, 7:55pm
Generally, supply what you agree too before the shoot.

i.e. if you tell him he'll get 10 images, give him 10 images (feel free to give more if you want, but not less).

I find it's best to specify a minimum beforehand based on how much time I want to spend editing. After all, you're not getting paid anything but experience, so only you can work out how much time it's worth to you.

James T
23-04-2010, 9:27am
Remember the whole point is that the model will be using them for promotion (and crediting you of course) so if you give them a pile of unedited images, anything could end up out there with your name on it. (And get shown to people who you may wish to work with in future).

Allann
23-04-2010, 9:38am
I have completed a few TF shoots now, and seem to be getting a good response from the models when I supply a CD with two folders, one called edits containing about 10-20 shots, these are also available from my website, and another folder called originals where I put all images I'm not ashamed to put my name on, this includes the originals used for the edits. However, my orignal RAW files I always keep, the originals on the CD are direct full-size jpg conversions straight from camera (i shoot both RAW and JPG).

Like David says, we agree on a minimum number (usually 10 for an hours shoot) of editted shots, Hope that helps.

soulman
23-04-2010, 2:54pm
Is there any reason why I shouldn't give him the majority of the photos?Apart from anything else - the previous posters all make good points - I think there is a good case for ruthless editing here. A folio of 50 images containing 10 great shots will never come across as well as a folio containing just the 10. Have faith in your editing abilities and just provide your model with the only very best shots. It makes both of you look better.

bigdazzler
23-04-2010, 7:34pm
100% agree with the soulman. I only give what I consider to be THE BEST of the shoot. And I never give a minimum number of images because what if something just doesnt work out and you dont achieve that number? eg. You pre-agree to a theme or concept for the pictures and it just dont work out (it happens sometimes) and then the number is not met. Then you have the risk of the model/subject possibly bad mouthing you because you didnt meet your obligation. Thats just one example of a risk you take by offering minimum numbers IMO.

As I said earlier, minimum 4 images is usually an accepted thing for TF. Modelmayhem guidelines state this also, or at least they used to? I havent read the T&Cs for a while)

kjl
24-04-2010, 4:33pm
Can anyone suggest a suitable paragraph to put in the model release?

I have attached a copy of the model release form that I had written for my previous work and have since revised it for my own photography - feel free to use whatever may be suitable for your own purposes...and good luck with the shoot.

kiwi
24-04-2010, 6:28pm
" it is at the total discretion of the photographer how many images will be provided under this arrangement"

I'd also add for fun

" if more than 20 images are provided the client foregoes their soul for eternity to the photographer"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk