PDA

View Full Version : SB600 Wireless with built in flash trigger question

abitfishy
22-04-2010, 1:47pm
Hi all,

Just picked up my SB600 for my first model shoot tomorrow, but have a question regarding the wireless and built in speedlight trigger.

I understand that with the SB600 on wireless, and the built in flash on commander mode, TTL, that the built in flash is adding considerably to the lighting. I'm not sure this is what I want. I'm wishing to use the SB600 as 'fill' moreso than anything, as there should be plenty of natural light. I also want to minimise the chance of red eye.

Do I understand correctly that if I want to just use the built in as a trigger but not give (much) light to the photo, that I have the D90 built in on 'commander' but change TTL to --. and that will give the signal to get the SB600 to fire but not 'flash' itself?

Alternatively, will I just adjust the built in speedlight power adjustment to -2 or something so it will add a little light - still worried about redeye though.

Lastly, in wireless mode, its not showing TTL and/or BL on the display on the SB600 - but do I understand that when wireless its automatically set to ITTL balanced fill flash?

Thanks again all. Hope to post some good pics tomorrow! No guarantees though!

kiwi
22-04-2010, 2:13pm
You can turn the pop-up flash down to almost nothing so it contributes little if anything

I think your other assumptions are correct re iTTL

Why not just get the camera, get the flash, and try it ? You dont have to wait until you have to use "in anger"

I @ M
22-04-2010, 2:39pm
that I have the D90 built in on 'commander' but change TTL to --. and that will give the signal to get the SB600 to fire but not 'flash' itself?

Exactly that. :th3: The -- means no flash output, any light you actually see is purely the communication pre flashes between the speedlight and camera.

abitfishy
22-04-2010, 3:53pm
Thanks all.

OK, just took photos of mum, what a darl, and found several things.

1. Often it just won't flash. One shot does, the next few might not, no rhyme nor reason. The ones that didn't often DID need it, they were underexposed. Edit: Came home, did the same thing with random shots, fired every time. Now I'm REALLY confused. How directional is it with the triggering?

2. Zoom - seems to be on M Zoom and always shows 24. Lens was a 17-50. I thought wireless it is always on auto zoom. And I double checked, Manual zoom is set to OFF in the menu.

3. High Speed FP mode - when the camera is set to this, I still can't choose higher than 1/200. Camera is set to manual shutter/aperture.

If I can get these problems sorted I think I'll have fun tomorrow!

I @ M
22-04-2010, 4:11pm
fishy, the most common problem with off camera flash with Nikon cls is that it does need a fairly direct "line of sight" between the camera and speedlight. Make sure the sensor on the speedlight is facing the camera. That is partly why the speedlight head rotates. Try to avoid extremely strong ambient light pointing directly at the built in flash and the slave.

I am 99% sure that the only time auto zoom works is when the speedlight is mounted on the camera with the head in the horizontal position and no diffusers attached as that is the position where the amount of zoom is calculated to match the actual lens zoom. Of course that all goes out the window with a crop sensor body because if the lens is on 50mm and the speedlight has zoomed to 50mm you are actually "wasting" light because the flash assumes a field of view of a 50mm lens on a full frame body. :rolleyes: That last bit is no big worry because with the ability to shoot at high ISO values in conjunction with the flash you will have batteries that last for 100s of exposures.

abitfishy
22-04-2010, 4:29pm
With a bit more research you are right, the auto zoom only operates on camera. Will play around on the day and see what happens.

With the hit and miss firing, I was standing on the opposite site of the flash to the sensor. I can't get it NOT to fire now so that looks sorted.

Still not sure about the high speed FP mode, simply cannot select higher than 1/200.

I @ M
22-04-2010, 4:34pm
I just saw your edit about the synch.

I am not sure about the D90 but with our bodies you simply go into the camera menu --- menu / bracketing - flash / e1 Flash Synch Speed / and set it to 1/###s(Auto FP) and then you can set the shutter to what ever you like. :confused013

abitfishy
22-04-2010, 4:43pm
In the D90 all I can find is Auto FP Sync ON or OFF. Its on. :(

I @ M
22-04-2010, 4:47pm
Sorry mate, looks like it's time for you to RTM.

I don't have a spare D90 body lying around to have a play with.

abitfishy
22-04-2010, 5:02pm
Found out built in flash has to be OFF (ie, commander only, no output) in order for wireless flash to work in High speed FP mode.

Ok, now I know these limitations, I guess I'm sort of ready for tomorrow. Never had much to do with flash, let along shooting someone that wants good pics of themselves, so I've thrown myself in the deep end big time. Wish me luck!

Oh, and thanks all. Appreciated.

I @ M
22-04-2010, 5:19pm
aaaah, I was assuming that you already had it set that way. :D

And from the next paragraph -- good luck and take a hint from me, photograph them nicely to get the good shots -- before you "shoot" them. :p

abitfishy
22-04-2010, 5:25pm
No, I've read everything about it except turning off the built in. Didn't mention it in the SB600 guide I don't think.

:th3: