PDA

View Full Version : Looking for new tripod and head.

TAYLORW619
21-04-2010, 8:53pm
Hi all,

I currently do not have a tripod and would like to purchase a tripod and head and am thinking about the following

Manfrotto 055XPROB Tripod Leg
Manfrotto 488RC2 Midi Ball Head

My current gear is:

Canon 7D
Canon 70-200mm f/2.8 IS MK1
Nifty fifty
580EX MKII

Would this tripod and head be a good combination? For the two of them togeather it is $435 dollars.

Appreciate all opinions,
Thanks, Taylor

CherylB
21-04-2010, 9:31pm
Taylor - I bought very nearly the same combination just last week! Instead of the 488RC2 though, I got the 496RC2. I have a Canon 40D and 580EXII and a few different lenses.

I took the gear out at the weekend to put the tripod through its paces, and I was very happy! Being a bit fond of fungi - which is usually small (macro) and low down, I found the tripod to be fantastic for angling for those low shots. Couldn't be happier with the choice!

The head's a bit different for me. My last tripod was a Velbon "all-in-one" - but different controls for up and down and for panning. The ball head seems good for doing it "all at once" but it might take me a bit longer to get used to the nuances of it. Nevertheless - I am certainly happy so far, and that part is really just a matter of practice and getting used to it.

So - from my point of view - you've picked a good combo! :th3: Can't go wrong!

Have you checked out Quality Camera Sales (www.qualitycamera.com.au) - a site sponsor? You might actually be able to do a slightly better price than you mentioned, and they have some specials on at the moment with no freight charge. I've bought a couple of things from them now and the service is absolutely fantastic!

nick351
21-04-2010, 9:48pm
I have that exact combo and find it perfect for my needs, it supports my D700 and 24-70 lens with no trouble at all. I purchased from an ebay store from HK for less than $400.

peterking
21-04-2010, 9:49pm
Evening Taylor.
I have similar camera equipment and a couple of weeks ago bought the 055XPROB but with the 808RC4 head as I hate the ball heads.
Been out a few times recently with it and am absolutely stoked. Couldn't be happier.
The height gives me more than enough reach whilst the fold out legs have let me get low with ease.

As Cheryl said checkout http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/, a site sponsor, as this is who I bought mine off and the price was better than I had seen elsewhere.

davros
22-04-2010, 3:40pm
Just curious... with the kit you have now do you really need the extra support of the 055XPROB (7kg max) or would a lighter tripod still work. I've recently bought a 190XPROB with an 804RC2 head for about half the price of the setup you listed. Vanbar is still running their special on this kit for $249. It all depends on the weight of your lenses I guess.

kevinj
22-04-2010, 4:24pm
I have the same setup,$449 with Manfrotto Bag,it holds my 450D with grip,580EXII and100-400mmL with ease and is a pleasure to use,the ability to swing the centre pole 90 degrees to horizontal is very useful and inverting it means you can get down soooo low.A very good tripod and worth the extra $$$ over the 190,Probx.Buy once,Buy well.

linden
22-04-2010, 11:12pm
Just curious... with the kit you have now do you really need the extra support of the 055XPROB (7kg max) or would a lighter tripod still work. I've recently bought a 190XPROB with an 804RC2 head for about half the price of the setup you listed. Vanbar is still running their special on this kit for $249. It all depends on the weight of your lenses I guess.

I recently bought this combo from Vanbar and I couldnt be happier.

The tripod is very sturdy and adjustable. The head gives enough movement.

IMO the build quality of the manfrotto is excellent.

iijm
24-04-2010, 11:42am
Just thought I would tack onto this thread. Am a complete novice with tripods, only have gorrillapod. Need help in selection of a new tripod for D90 mainly with Tamron 90/2.8 for insects,garden etc. Manfrotto seems popular, the combinations are many and confusing. At present no heavy lenses owned but could not rule out in the future. 3 way head? Ball head?
Thanks in advance,
Ian:confused013

CHBS42
24-04-2010, 4:49pm
I have come across your site while searching for review of tripods - I need a tripod for use here in Australia, but also for taking overseas as I would prefer not to have to buy two at present. I have an Olympus E520 and expect to spend some time taking shots with my Sigma 18-50mm macro lens in dimly lit churches and castles in Europe. I am attracted to the very light and slender Manfrotto 732cy but am nervous that while it may be light to cart around, it will be useless for the task in hand. I was offered this for $399 with 486rc2 head today. Would be grateful for any advice.

kevinj
24-04-2010, 6:27pm
Welcome to the forum.an intro is always nice.You don`t specify a budget,helps,go for the Manfrotto 190 Probx,will meet your needs

maccaroneski
28-04-2010, 6:25pm
I recently bought this combo from Vanbar and I couldnt be happier.

The tripod is very sturdy and adjustable. The head gives enough movement.

IMO the build quality of the manfrotto is excellent.

Me three.

Got it with the bag for $279.

fats
28-04-2010, 8:05pm
I recently purchased a Feisol tripod instead of the 055XPROB. I was not able to test either before I purchased it but have since had a good look at the Manfrotto and they seem about on par. I couldn't tell the difference in terms of stability but the Feisol is certainly a bit lighter (which was a priority for me). The Manfrotto was a bit smaller (I have the 3 section standard Feisol) and has a better history so you know its going to last for a long time.

I have no reason at this early stage to doubt the Feisols longevity, however I get the feeling the aluminium might deal with the bumps I will inevitably dish out while hiking. My back might suffer with the aluminium though, even the carbon fiber is pretty noticeable.

Thomp
29-04-2010, 4:57pm
If you haven't bought the tripod/head yet, you might want to consider getting the 498rc2 which is the latest version and apparently a bit sturdier. Price wise I think it is similar.

Blueywa
30-04-2010, 9:53pm
I bought my Manfrotto 055XPROB + 488RC2 from Stu Simmonds at Quality Camera Sales.
Price was very good, and was delivered the next day (Perth Metro).

CHBS42
02-05-2010, 8:26pm
thanks to everyone who replied to me and offered advice - really appreciated.

ricktas
02-05-2010, 8:54pm
thanks to everyone who replied to me and offered advice - really appreciated.

How about joining in a bit more, rather than just coming here to get advice. Show us some of your photos etc.

Elvie
08-05-2010, 3:25pm
I read all the above to gain knowledge on best tripod buy thanks to all as i have some names to go with now