PDA

View Full Version : 2 camera tripod plate

Analog6
21-04-2010, 6:53pm
I had the thought when photographing the steam train with 2 cameras on 2 tripods how handy such a thing would be. So I searched and found Manfrotto make one - see here (http://www.manfrotto.com/Jahia/site/manfrotto/lang/en/pid/3228).

I don't suppose anyone has seen one in action - I can't quite work out how it attaches to the tripod.

It would be great to be able to pan the 2 cameras together on one tripod, and my heavy green tripod should be up to the weight.

Bax
21-04-2010, 7:18pm
Doesn't really say anything about attaching to a tripod. Maybe a clamp?

Why would you do this though out of curiosity? Different focal lengths?

Big Pix
21-04-2010, 7:28pm
very easy to make or have made....... along some cork or rubber

ameerat42
21-04-2010, 8:40pm
It attaches to a tripod via the middle hole, then you attach a camera to each of the side holes. You have a choice of 1/4" or 3/8" threads for the cameras. (You may need a thread adapter and it appears the tripod attachment is only 3/8".) If your tripod has only 1/4" thread then you'll need an adapter here too. (AFAICAS) Am.
PS. It may be useful for stereo photography.

Analog6
22-04-2010, 6:56am
But I would want to be able to swivel the whole shebang, and I can't see any way to do that. I want it so when I am on my own I can out the 2 cameras on it, lock the shutters open with the cable release, and track things like the steam train I shot a couple of days ago.

It was shooting that event that gave me the idea. I had the 2 tripods set up close together and was thinking 'how on earth am I going to track with them both?'. I'll keep working on it, there must be a way. Can you remove the plate mount from the top of a tripod head?

I have the one pictured below. I wouldn't wan to use the side to side tilt, but the forward/back tilt would be useful for slight adjustments and the tracking function would be vital.

old dog
22-04-2010, 8:30am
it would be easy to make Odille. I reckon just a flat aluminium bar maybe 25mm wide and 6mm thick with all the holed drilled and tapped to suit.

ameerat42
22-04-2010, 9:12am
Odille. But wouldn't you just swivel (pan) the tripod? With the bar and 2 cameras mounted? Am?

Analog6
22-04-2010, 9:20am
ameerat, the plate as it is seems to screw straight into the top of the tripod or monopod, so no swivel, tilt or anything. It actually replaces the head.

Big Pix
22-04-2010, 9:31am
..... one of these http://www.adorama.com/BG0828.html attached to a leveling base http://photovideo.com.au/acratech-leveling-base-p-5966.html would do the job......

on looking again, you will still need a head with rotation, or one you can attach the bracket and the leveling base may not be needed.......

I have the above leveling base and it works a treat

MarkChap
22-04-2010, 10:11am
Odille, it will just mount to the quick release plate for your tripod, then mount onto your head as normal.

You then just pan the tripod head as you would any other time.

This Is what I would do -
1 x flat aluminium bar 25 x 6 x required lenghth
3 x 5/16 holes - 1 in the middle and one at each end
1 x 1/4 whitworth nut, use to attach tripod plate to middle hole
2 x 1/2 x 1/4 whitworth bolt, use to attach camera to outside holes.

Job done, a fraction of the cost, could have various length plates from the left over aluminium bar.

ameerat42
22-04-2010, 10:33am
ameerat, the plate as it is seems to screw straight into the top of the tripod or monopod, so no swivel, tilt or anything. It actually replaces the head.

Odille. If you mean it replaces the whole shebang you showed in your image, then I understand your point. I thought that it would attach to the very top of your tripod, leaving all tilt-pan actions intact. I have done just the same using a wooden board to attach a camera and small tracking telescope to my equatorial mount. Once aligned, they moved together. Am.

ameerat42
22-04-2010, 10:35am
PS Can't you screw it to the top of the "shebang"?

Analog6
22-04-2010, 10:44am
MarkChap, that is just what I want, but I have no tools, I'll have to get someone to do it for me.

I do nave a couple of Manfrotto plates, maybe as ameerat says, I could just use a board or as you say a piece of flat steel or aluminium and attach a Manfrotto plate to the bottom of it. Hhmm, thinking cap on, waiting for illumination.

Bix Pix, I like the look of the levelling head, but it will have to wait a bit financially.