PDA

View Full Version : Where to buy gear at short notice please

abitfishy
21-04-2010, 10:09am
Hope this is the right place in the forum, if not, my apologies.

Anyway, I was hoping to get a lightstand/softbox combo on sale at DDP Sydney, and a Nikon SB600 for a shoot this Friday. After emailing to confirm it was normal stock which was confirmed, I rang today to make sure and of course, no stock, no ETA. :angry0:

Which has put me in a predicament for Friday. Can anyone suggest a Sydney 'Pickup' store that does the SB600 at 'Hong Kong import' prices like DDP? Theirs was $359, any of the other retail places seem to be $400 - $500. I'd rather not have to pay that much.

Thanks!

nick351
21-04-2010, 10:13am
Dirt Cheap Cameras in the city have it listed for $394 if you get desperate. Unless you can find one 2nd hand.

abitfishy
21-04-2010, 10:29am
Thanks for that. Found them already and have negotiated a tad, will head in tomorrow.

They only seem to do expensive softbox kits, but I might be able to make do with a cheap lightstand from somewhere and a small ebay softbox knockoff thing I already have. :th3:

As if a first model shoot isn't stressful enough without running out of time for getting the gear I want!

nick351
21-04-2010, 11:05am
Digital Camera warehouse at Canterbury have cheap light stands, Ive bought both of mine from there and cant complain.

I believe a 1.8m stand is about $35, and 2.8m about $50.

abitfishy
21-04-2010, 7:04pm
Thanks Nick, I never thought of them as I've always thought they were often a bit pricey.

I went over this arvo and have a 2.8m stand for $49 which suits my Yongnuo umbrella/flash head well. $30 cheaper than the shorter one at DDP, and I must say quite solid and heavy which is good for home, not for portablity, but I can't have it both ways!