PDA

View Full Version : Long Exposure

Firemansam
20-04-2010, 9:54pm
Have recently purchased a Canon 400D and have started experimenting with night/astro photography. Is it possible to damage the camera if I take exposures lasting more than 15 to 20 mins?:umm:

ricktas
20-04-2010, 10:04pm
NO!

However, as your exposures get longer and longer, the sensor will heat up, and you will often find you will get noise in the resulting photo from that sensor heat. On your camera there is a thing called long exposure Noise reduction, read up about it, in the manual.

wattsgallery
20-04-2010, 10:20pm
Hi there

And welcome to the forums (I am pretty new here too but there is lots of great info and helpful people). Re Rick's note about long exposure definately read up on it and when used note that it takes up to as long as your original exposure time (after your exposure) to finish its magic so you will not be able to take another shot while that happens.

Another way around this is to take a series of shorter photos and stack them. I haven't done this myself but have seen some great shots where this has been done (ie 100 x 30sec shots instead of 1 x 50min exposure).

Good luck
Cheers
Josh

Firemansam
23-04-2010, 5:07pm
Thanks guys, had set the noise reduction when I set-up the camera.