PDA

View Full Version : Nikon D90 Autofocus issues!

Rick
20-04-2010, 9:24pm
Hey guys,

Just got a D90 through DWI with a 50mm 1.8

Seems its stuck in manual focus no matter what I do. I have made sure the lens is mounted correctly. I have AF selected on the side of the camera, yet it is still saying I am in manual.

Am I missing something? Sorry for the noob question! Had a bit of a search around but I have tried everything, to no avail.

Thanks in advance :)

kiwi
20-04-2010, 9:30pm
I can't recall, but is there a switch on the lens that says m/ma

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I @ M
20-04-2010, 9:32pm
yet it is still saying I am in manual.

Elaborate further please --- what is saying that you are in manual?

ricktas
is the aperture ring on the lens turned to f22 (i think), at one end it locks into place and needs to be left there for your D90 to communicate with the lens correctly.

Darey
At the back of the 50mm f1.8 lens you need to set the aperture at f22 and lock it in place with a little tab in front of the f2.8 mark.

That may be your issue. Also try disconnecting and reconnecting the lens.

Hope this helps

Rick
20-04-2010, 9:33pm
This lens doesn't have a switch.

Rick
20-04-2010, 9:36pm
aperture is set to f22. i press info and it is saying MF. from what i gather it should be AF?

Rick
20-04-2010, 9:37pm
I have also tried pressing the AF button at the top of the camera, and turning the dial behind it to change the AF setting, but nothing is happening. The LCD on the top of the camera isnt even displaying what type of focus mode im in as well..

I @ M
20-04-2010, 9:39pm
So what happens when you depress the shutter half way or push the af on button? Does the lens focus? Or does nothing happen at all?

Rick
20-04-2010, 9:41pm
When I press the shutter half way nothing happens the lens doesn't focus. Hope nothing is broken :(

ricktas
20-04-2010, 9:44pm
On the side of your camera is an AF/M switch, what is that set to? You can see it here (http://www.nikon.com.au/products/1281/86d7b52026/D90_18_105VR_left_s.jpg) on the camera body next to the lens mount, it says AF M

Rick
20-04-2010, 9:46pm
Its set to AF

ricktas
20-04-2010, 9:48pm
remove the lens, use a microfibre cloth to clean the cpu contacts on the side of the lens and on the camera body.

Also put a different lens on and see if that works, if it does, then it is the lens, not the camera body causing the issue. Process of elimination here.

I @ M
20-04-2010, 9:48pm
Sorry you posted while I was typing.

First things first, get your manual out and find out how to do a reset of the camera menu. It will be done by pressing a combination of two buttons simultaneously. I think on the D90 it is the af on button and the exposure compensation button but whichever buttons they are they will have a green dot beside them.

If that doesn't cure things, make sure that all the electrical contacts between the body and lens mount are actually sticking up and one or more aren't stuck down. Clean those contacts and the mating contacts on the lens. If still no joy, try a different lens, borrow one or ask to have a look at one in a shop.

The Nikon bodies rely on a bit of information between themselves and the lens to know if they have to perform autofocus.

ricktas
20-04-2010, 9:51pm
Also, when you mount the lens, it has to go around and 'click' into the locked position, if you are not turning the lens enough onto the body, the cpu contacts will not line up.

Rick
20-04-2010, 9:58pm
Phew!

Got it sorted. Feel pretty silly about it actually. When I put the lens on I had pushed the locking button in and didn't let the lens 'snap' into the body. Was wondering why it was working before but not now.

Spose thats what you get for being a noob LOL

Thanks alot for the quick responses guys. Was stressin there for a sec!!

I @ M
20-04-2010, 9:59pm
Good, problem solvered, now go and take photos. :D