PDA

View Full Version : Image samples using +2 Close Up Lens

OzzieTraveller
20-04-2010, 2:36pm
G'day DJ

We've had some discussion over recent days regarding the use of Close Up Lens on your 70-300 zoom lens, and I offered to knock up some sample pix

At the moment I am in Hall's Gap, western Vic and a meander along the main street gave me these red flowers overhanging a front fence. To give an idea of size, each red flower is just about small enough to fit into a matchbox. Don't know what the flowers are called, but here they are

Camera is the Lumix FZ-35 with 35-420mm lens (dSLR eq of 24-275mm)
All images are full-frame, ex camera with no pp
All are shot at f11, and camera was tripod mounted
Close Up Lens is +2 dioptre with camera to subject distance = 1/2metre

1- image shot at dSLR equiv of 70mm
http://i42.tinypic.com/15z0g3a.jpg

2- image shot at dSLR equiv of 135mm
http://i42.tinypic.com/6dwajl.jpg

3- image shot at dSLR equiv of 200mm
http://i42.tinypic.com/2ex4mkx.jpg

4- image shot at dSLR equiv of 275mm
http://i43.tinypic.com/24xl8uw.jpg

5- this image shot using a +3 Close Up Lens, at dSLR equiv of 350mm
http://i41.tinypic.com/143nzid.jpg

You will also easily see (in the above pix) how the background falls away once the main lens is over (about) 200mm, giving a great visual effect

Hope that this helps you a bit regarding the use of a simple close up lens on a versatile zoom lens - the 70-300 covers a good range.

Regards, Phil

dyso10
21-04-2010, 9:43pm
hi from dyso10
when you say +3 Close Up Lens is that a screw on to front of lens type

OzzieTraveller
22-04-2010, 12:16pm
G'day Dyso

Pop up/down the "Camera/Lens Forum" to the "Close Up Lens" topic author=dbose and see the info posted there. It should answer your Q and give you other stuff as well

Regards, Phil

simonr23
23-04-2010, 10:35pm
ive been playing with a cheap green.l kit from ebay on my 70-300vr nikon lens. using a +4 i can use the lens at 70-100mm with very good results for the centre of frame, but it quickly causes big CA in the outer 1/3 of the frame.

OzzieTraveller
24-04-2010, 8:58am
G'day Simon

Very sorry to hear your news, but you do say "a cheap green.l kit from ebay"

I suggest that you just get a Hoya (or equiv) +2 for $50-$60 from your local photo shop and use that - you can see from my test pix above, the sort if IQ you can/should get using this type of lens

I know that some very strong (+4 to +10) CU lenses are available, but their performance leaves a lot to be desired ~ if you want that sort of magnification, you need extension tubes &/or a true macro lens eg: a lens capable of giving 1/2 lifesize images direct and not requiring any attachments

Regards, Phil

dbose
29-04-2010, 3:55pm
Hi Phil

Thanks a lot for posting these photos - they do give me an idea of what to expect from the Canon 500D close-p lens (when they arrive from E-Bay). I will post a few to get your feedback.

I totally agree on 'I get what I pay for' - once I am satisfied (or not) with the close-up lens the next step would be to go for the Macro. I am thinking of 105mm Macro. My only dilemma is whether to spend $1000 for the Nikon 105mm F2.8 macro or Tamaron 90mm F2.8 for a much cheaper price. I know the arguments of buying the Nikon but still it's $1000 as opposed to $570 for the Tamaron.

Thanks again DJ

OzzieTraveller
29-04-2010, 7:55pm
G'day DJ

Two of the (many) laws of economics say ... "you get what you pay for" & the law of diminishing returns says "that after a certain point, you don't get much more/better, even though the cost/price keeps going up"

I haven't looked at/tested the Tamron or the Nikon - it would need someone who has actually done that to give an exact answer, but ... Tamron lenses (esp the "SP" designated ones) have an extremely good reputation as being 'up to the mark' and very certainly, 'value for money'

I would suggest that you chase up the DPReview.com site to see whether they have tested either of the lenses you refer to, and if they have, then have a good read of their review

Photographically tho, a good macro lens (like the ones you refer to) will/should outperform other general-purpose lenses ... it's one of the reasons they are prime lenses not zoom lenses ... and give you a very, very good result as well. My issue with general purpose zoom lenses (incl those with a macro [little flower] button) is that the zoom lens can generally only be used at the wide-angle end of the range, the lens-to-subject distance is poor, the background is almost as in-focus as the subject itself, and the end result is woeful

By putting a close-up lens onto a very useful zoom lens, you can get some very nice close ups without breaking the bank, have a decent camera-to-subject distance ~ and you stay out of the spider's web ;)

Regards, Phil

dbose
30-04-2010, 4:23pm
Well said Phil - I will try out the Close up lens - it just arrived but have to wait for the step up adapter for a few more days. I Will post a few shots once I have the gear ready. Cheers DJ.

BTW are you close to Brisbane - we may possibly meet in future to exchange ideas and tips.