PDA

View Full Version : Thumb prints on lenses

arnica
18-04-2010, 10:27pm
I occassionally get thumb prints on my lens filters and lens. I am currently using one of these: http://www.o-digital.com/uploads/2158/2161-1/Cleaning_Pen_372.jpg

However, I've noticed that it doesn't always work, sometimes it smudges it more than cleans it.

What do others use here and are they any good?

I'm wanting to get something else to help me do the cleaning.

peterking
19-04-2010, 1:48am
Microfibre cloth from the local optician is my referred option.

JM Tran
19-04-2010, 2:02am
Microfibre cloth from the local optician is my referred option.

me too, a quick breathe on it and swipe by microfibre cloth usually does the trick

the front element of the lens is very very hard to scratch so sometimes i even use my shirt, scarves and other soft fabrics

ricktas
19-04-2010, 6:19am
microfibre cloth works well, I have several of them scattered around my camera bag..I think they breed in there.

David Kembrey
19-04-2010, 2:47pm
microfibre cloth works well, I have several of them scattered around my camera bag..I think they breed in there.

Maybe you should try that with a couple of $50.00 notes and see if they will breed as well :)

tomtom1
27-04-2010, 11:07pm
I've had good experiences with my lenspen, though I have to renew the tip often. Larger prints need a bit of cleaning solution first, then mop up the residue with the pen.

Erin
28-04-2010, 7:40pm
Cleaning solution and a microfibre cloth is the best bet. Works with everything from oil to wet puppy nose marks.

Jeanette
28-04-2010, 8:17pm
microfibre cloth and pen here for me too :)

cute Erin with the puppy nose marks ... they are inquisitive aren't they

Boofhead
28-04-2010, 8:22pm
I'm a bit like Rick, microfibre cleaning cloths everywhere but I can never find one when I want it :confused013 They do a great job.

Xenedis
28-04-2010, 8:27pm
What do others use here and are they any good?

I'm wanting to get something else to help me do the cleaning.

I don't get fingerprints on my lenses, but when they do need cleaning, I have several tools available.

Firstly, I use a rocket blower to get rid of any specs of dust or grit; I don't want these rubbing against the glass.

For cleaning, I have a microfibre lens cleaning cloth and a lens cleaning pen.

A soft tissue can also be effective.