PDA

View Full Version : panasonic lx3

chad79
18-04-2010, 7:12pm
Looking at getting a point and shoot camera. The panasonic lx3 caught my eye, just wondering if there is any other point and shoot you guys might think of. Also is there is any personal reviews on lx3 will be great.

Analog6
19-04-2010, 2:02pm
I have a Lumix FZ35 which is great and shoot RAW files as well as jpeg. No idea how it stacks up against the LX3 but I can recommend it as lightweight camera which takes a good quality image.

soulman
19-04-2010, 6:59pm
I was pretty excited about the LX3 when it came out, but if I was buying now it would be an S90 or, more likely, a G11 Canon. They're both nearly as wide - 28mm vs 24mm equivalent on the LX3 - but have more reach on the tele end. The Panasonic's 60mm is just too short for too many things to make the camera useful for me. I've used both the Canons and find the S90 a little bit small & fiddly - it's basically IXUS size - though I do like the control ring around the lens. The G11 is a little larger & has an optical viewfinder, which I prefer to have as an option. I like the dedicated controls too - it has a lot of functions directly accessible without having to use multipurpose controls & menus.

Here is a link to a comparison of the 3 cameras (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=panasonic_dmclx3%2Ccanon_g11%2Ccanon_s90&show=all) on DP Review. You can click through from there to full reviews of each one if you want to look further. As always with these sorts of purchases, it can be very handy to hold them in your hand and play with them a bit before you drop any cash.

Gregg Bell
19-04-2010, 8:36pm
Olympus PEN-EPL1 - good point and shoot 4/3rd sensor, with interchangeable lenses. quite pricey.

Panasonic Lumix GF1 - 4/3rd sensor point and shoot.

Ricoh GSX S10 - interchangeable lenses, lenses have sensor attached, so if Ricoh keeps up this design in 5 years tie, you can keep the camera body, and just upgrade the sensor when you get a new lens. That's if it keeps on going. here's a review - clicky (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/ricohgxrs10/)

and if you want to drop abit cash; Leica digilux 4.

The LX3 is a decent point and shoot, my friend uses it for his photographic purposes.

chad79
19-04-2010, 9:15pm
It's getting hard these days to choose cameras as they are getting better so quick.