PDA

View Full Version : 30D on/off switch question

SnowA
17-04-2010, 10:02pm
In the last couple of weeks I've noticed that my on/off switch no longer seems to work. Two things:

1. The switch no longer turns the camera off when moved to the "off" position. (Luckily the auto-off function still works so it puts itself to sleep/turns off after a minute or so).

2. Also, by experimenting, I've deduced that it's in the 'operate quick dial' mode regardless of the switch position, ie. I can use the quick dial to set Ev compensation even when the switch is only in "on" position.

Anyone had this before or have any suggestions? I'm not even sure if I need to worry about it since the auto-off still works and I can use the quick dial if I want.

Thanks in advance!

PS. The body is about 3 years old.

ricktas
18-04-2010, 7:58am
Sounds like a fault, if you want to get it fixed it might need a trip to Canon.

DAdeGroot
18-04-2010, 8:06am
Have you tried removing the batteries and letting it sit for 1/2 hr ? (although it really sounds like a faulty/dirty switch).

SnowA
19-04-2010, 8:47am
Thanks for the suggestion Dave. I tried leaving out the battery, but unfortunately it's still the same.

I will probably leave it for now as it doesn't affect functionality.

nisstrust
19-04-2010, 11:15am
Had a similar issue, something to do with the contacts in the switch, best to take to Canon for a service.

hackcessor
19-04-2010, 11:56am
Agreed with posters above.....looks like a trip to a Canon Tech for a little work.

wideangle
26-04-2010, 7:58pm
Send it into Canon and get it fixed - Surely it wouldn't cost too much to repair?

Herbert George
02-01-2011, 6:02pm
I have got the same problem with my Nikon D70s. I'm going to use it as an excuse to my wife for upgrading to a newer body :D

(Camera body that would be) ;)