PDA

View Full Version : Advice for backpack repairs/ warning Pelican backpacks

Boofhead
17-04-2010, 5:38pm
I am hoping someone can give me some advice on where to get my backpack repaired and to warn Australian users about buying Pelican backpacks.

I bought a Pelican backpack in New York while I was there in January. It has mainly been used for the trip home and storing my camera whilst at home. I haven't taken it from home as we have been pretty hectic at work since I got back and haven't had the chance for a day out taking photos.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed the seem had split along one side adjacent to the zipper. "Glad I bought a Pelican Bag" I thought as I was aware they carry a lifetime guarantee in Australia. After playing "phone tag" with the Qld Pelican Rep for a couple of days we finally connected and she told me to contact the head office by email. I sent the email in with a couple of photos of the offending split only to be informed that the soft bags are sold under the Pelican name in the USA by a distributor and that the warranty would not be offered in Australia. They do not sell the soft bags in Australia. I asked Pelican to get the distributor to email me but 2 weeks later I haven't heard from them. My warning is not to buy a Pelican soft bag if you live in Australia.

Can anybody recommend a good place to get my bag repaired near to the Gold Coast?

enduro
17-04-2010, 9:03pm
I am hoping someone can give me some advice on where to get my backpack repaired and to warn Australian users about buying Pelican backpacks.

I bought a Pelican backpack in New York while I was there in January. It has mainly been used for the trip home and storing my camera whilst at home. I haven't taken it from home as we have been pretty hectic at work since I got back and haven't had the chance for a day out taking photos.

A couple of weeks ago I noticed the seem had split along one side adjacent to the zipper. "Glad I bought a Pelican Bag" I thought as I was aware they carry a lifetime guarantee in Australia. After playing "phone tag" with the Qld Pelican Rep for a couple of days we finally connected and she told me to contact the head office by email. I sent the email in with a couple of photos of the offending split only to be informed that the soft bags are sold under the Pelican name in the USA by a distributor and that the warranty would not be offered in Australia. They do not sell the soft bags in Australia. I asked Pelican to get the distributor to email me but 2 weeks later I haven't heard from them. My warning is not to buy a Pelican soft bag if you live in Australia.

Can anybody recommend a good place to get my bag repaired near to the Gold Coast?

Can you negotiate with them for you to send it there and they send it back which is normal warranty? Essentially, it shouldn't matter where the item became defective as long as it can get to the repair centre.

It would only cost about $AU35 to send it to the US.

Boofhead
17-04-2010, 9:39pm
Thanks for the idea enduro, I think a repair might end up costing less than postage, especially when you factor in time and aggravation.

Pelican are saying that even though their name is plastered all over the bag it is not theirs. They state that they have allowed a distributor to use their name and it is out of their hands. I would be more concerned that somebody else gets caught out like I did. I would be wary of Pelican Bags overall as even though they sound helpful on the phone, they don't put too much in writing, they have done diddly squat to assist me and might be the same with products bought in Australia.

jibbonpoint
18-04-2010, 9:06am
One would expect that products that Pelican authorise to use their name would have access to their warranty. A customer shouldn't have to enquire on purchasing which part of the product is warranted. Was there a guarantee or warranty attached?

I reckon it's worth a letter. Mention that you've discussed this on 'photo forum.

David
18-04-2010, 9:14am
Must be bloody annoying to spend good money and get a crap result: hope u find a repairer but I wouldnt be holding my breath with no warranty cover to back it up.

Jeanette
18-04-2010, 9:16am
thanks for the heads up . so sorry you are having issues .. makes ya feel done hey

ricktas
18-04-2010, 9:22am
Site Rule:

[13] Members with under 30 days membership and 50 posts cannot post complaints about service/people/organisations/products/businesses, etc. Join in, build up a reputation on Ausphotography and then your views will be allowed.

Thread closed.