PDA

View Full Version : Travelling with gear: Blackrapid R-Strap RS5

etherial
15-04-2010, 2:54pm
Following on from my review of my bag I must review the Blackrapid R-Strap RS5.

I've just returned from 5 weeks of traveling with all my gear. We traveled from Melbourne to Thailand, then England where I spent 5 days walking around London, and a further 3 weeks driving all over England and Scotland. Then returned the car, went by the Eurostar train and spent a few days in Paris and back to London to fly to Thailand where we spent a few days and finally home. So the strap got a good test in a variety of situations. Many places I went had warnings of pickpockets and the like so security was also important.

The R-Strap was on my camera for the entire time. It screws into the tripod socket on the bottom of the camera and provides a very secure connection. I wear the strap over my left shoulder across my body with the camera at right side. I used it the entire time was using my camera which many days was up to 10 hours in the day. I have previously used neck straps and found them to be a pain in the neck (boom tish!) always irritating my skin, or getting caught up in clothes and being a weight pulling me forwards all the time. Also with a neck strap the camera sits half way up your middle and sits un-naturally with the lens either poking out and/or the camera body digging into your chest.

I used this strap with my 7D and various lenses attached but the biggest rig I used was when I had the 70-200 F2.8L IS attached. All up this setup weighs 2.8kgs. I found the strap to sit very comfortably over my shoulder and I felt no fatigue at all carrying it around for hours. The camera sits very nicely at your side and you can move it to in front of you, at your side or behind you as you wish.

I found walking through crowds etc the camera as suitably close to my body and wasn't banging into anything. It is also at a great position for your right arm to naturally reach the camera and keep a hand on it if you wish to have it more secure. Walking through the busy streets where bag or gear snatchers can be an issue it was reassuring to know that I could keep one hand on the camera and have it secure without giving my arm a hard time! I also often wore a jacket over the entire thing so the camera was concealed under the jacket (only with a smaller lens though as the big 70-200 would have poked out the bottom!). I could also just hold the lens barrel and have the camera lie across my waist and have it very secure. At no stage did I think my camera was in danger with this set up.

Another benefit of having it at your side is that it frees up two hands. You can easily let it hang there and you have two hands free to do things, eat, write, read a map whatever. You can also bend or lean forward with it at your side and not bash the lens into things. This is a big plus for me.

Storage wise the R-Strap has two zippered pockets. I only used one and put 2 CF cards in it. There is ample room for more things though. I also used the phone pouch for a spare battery. So in the one package I had everything I needed for a walk-around session. I found this great, as it was easy to access and fast. The pockets are held in place with small magnets which worries me having memory cards around, but I haven't had an issue at all. They are very easy to access and very quiet (ie no velcro to be seen) and are also very secure.

The strap itself sits over your shoulder pretty well and you can very quickly pull the camera up to your eye and start shooting. It sits nicely over the shoulder generally but I did find that when I had a slipperly rain coat on the strap did slide around a bit. The adjustment is good for length and the excess strap is safely tucked away in the shoulder padding. The strap itself is reasonably thin and can twist around a bit which annoys me a little. I would prefer it to be a little more rigid, which might also make it less able to be cut if someone wanted to steel you camera.

The latch is very secure with a double acting clip making sure it won't come off the camera. Unfortuately though the size of the clip has meant that it has rubbed on the body of my camera and worn off the back coating along about 15mm of the edge at the bottom. No big deal but a little annoying.

Overall for comfort, ease of use, security and I'll stress again comfort over a long day, I would highly recommend this strap. A few minor revisions might make it better so I rate it 9/10.

Again, if you find this useful or wish to comment or ask questions please don't hesitate to post a reply.

James Axford
15-04-2010, 5:35pm
thanks for the review Mic. I love mine to bits too.
I don't know how i did with out it really.

MarkChap
15-04-2010, 5:43pm
I gotta get me one of these, but which one ??

gingermegs
18-04-2010, 11:31am
Looks like a great strap ... much more comfortable than the round your neck thingo :) & bucket loads cheaper than the cotton carrier harness I was looking at. My only query is ... I have a quick release gizzmo attached to my camera & it doesn't look like I can attach the straps' fastener to it without removing it first. Just a little fiddly. Any work around?

etherial
18-04-2010, 11:45am
I guess depends on the attachments. The R-Strap has a basic snap hook, so I have seen it attached to some tripod mounting plates where the D-ring underneath that is used for screwing it onto the camera is big enough to attach the snap hook.

I guess the other thing is the strap can be unscrewed reasonably easily as the snaphook is on a swivel so you can unscrew it while all attached if you want.

gingermegs
18-04-2010, 12:31pm
Thanks Mic, have looked at several reviews all good reports & easy enough to unscrew to use the tripod ... have you used the double one? If you don't mind revealing ... where did you get yours?

etherial
18-04-2010, 2:20pm
No I haven't used the double one, I only have the RS5. I bought mine direct from Blackrapid website, from memory it only took a few days to arrive.

wattsgallery
20-04-2010, 3:03pm
Great review - Any thoughts on the RS5 vs the RS7?

kiwi
20-04-2010, 3:35pm
I guess depends on the attachments. The R-Strap has a basic snap hook, so I have seen it attached to some tripod mounting plates where the D-ring underneath that is used for screwing it onto the camera is big enough to attach the snap hook.

I guess the other thing is the strap can be unscrewed reasonably easily as the snaphook is on a swivel so you can unscrew it while all attached if you want.

The other thing I do is attach the R-strap clip to a manfrotto quick release plate rather than screw it directly to the body. Its far quicker then to remove alltogether.

I like mine too

wattsgallery
20-04-2010, 9:47pm
The other thing I do is attach the R-strap clip to a manfrotto quick release plate rather than screw it directly to the body. Its far quicker then to remove alltogether.

I like mine too

I thought that looked like a good solution for quick release but worried it might work loose easier - not the case from your experience?

arubaato
29-04-2010, 10:16am
Hi there

Thanks for the review. It is very useful from a user's perspective.

Did you also have a shoulder bag? From your review you were wearing the strap the same way I normally carry my shoulder bag (stealth reporter). Do you think the bag and the Rstrap would get in each other's way?

Thanks.

coolie21
29-04-2010, 5:31pm
I thought that looked like a good solution for quick release but worried it might work loose easier - not the case from your experience?

Blackrapid are about to release this (http://rphotographers.com/showthread.php?t=469)

They have also released the Fasten R3 (http://www.blackrapid.com/product/hardware/fastenr3/) but are not currently bundling it with the strap - its an extra $14USD

etherial
29-04-2010, 6:03pm
Hi there

Thanks for the review. It is very useful from a user's perspective.

Did you also have a shoulder bag? From your review you were wearing the strap the same way I normally carry my shoulder bag (stealth reporter). Do you think the bag and the Rstrap would get in each other's way?

Thanks.

I actually used mine with a backpack on. They occasional got in the way of each other, but I found it quite workable. I think you will be fine with a shoulder bag.

Ploddy
19-05-2010, 11:42am
I saw etherial's R-Strap in action a couple of weeks ago. I nearly stole his when he wasn't looking. :D

I have just placed an order for my own.

peterking
20-05-2010, 1:35am
I saw etherial's R-Strap in action a couple of weeks ago. I nearly stole his when he wasn't looking. :D

I have just placed an order for my own.

I'm interested to know where from?

etherial
20-05-2010, 8:01am
I'm interested to know where from?

I think the best place is from BlackRapids website. They ship it out very quickly.

kiwi
20-05-2010, 9:09am
I bought mine from cameras direct, but, their website seems blank of them at the moment anyhow

James Axford
20-05-2010, 9:13am
I had mine sent from b&h, took 3 days I think. I had a few more things sent with it so it was a little more economical.

Ploddy
20-05-2010, 5:28pm
Yeah, I just ordered from Blackrapid. I'll advise when I receive it so you know delivery time. If I had to guess I would say around Tuesday / Wednesday of next week.

Showipix
20-05-2010, 5:46pm
Yep i ordered and paid for mine yesterday - i have had advice that it has shipped already so will be interesting to see how long it takes to arrive

I have also ordered a new bag and a few other things from hong kong

Just received in 2 days my new "L" lens from DWI and also my mint condition 40D from Sydney so all set to go!!!

Cheers
Kellie

wattsgallery
23-05-2010, 8:26pm
Ok Im convinced - will order one this week. Thinking of going for the R7 seems to be back in stock - any reason I should reconsider and go for the R5 etc?

Tonto
01-06-2010, 3:22pm
Gotta get one of these, anything that lets me take photos easier is well worth the money. :)
Question: Has anyone tried getting filters into any of the pockets on the R5?
If so what size? I have a 72mm Polarisor which comes with me everywhere, would be good not to have to pocket it.

Showipix
01-06-2010, 3:45pm
I got mine last weekend, attached it and it was great on the weekend with lots of photos taken :) im not sure about filters as i havent got any, but i easily had my mobile phone in the phone pocked, and buisness cards and spare CF cards elsewhere - i think you can get added attachments so maybe look at that option

But all up it was SO much more comfortable than the normal neck strap and having the camera hanging more comfortable with the 70-200 L lens!

Just got my Lowepro 350 slingshot bag today so looking forward to going home and putting everything in its safe place :)

Kellie

Ploddy
03-06-2010, 10:50pm
Got mine exactly 1 week after ordering. Not too bad. I also love mine, it is far bulkier than the kit strap, but the comfort, versatility and functionality far outweigh the bulk issue.

Suzyanneau
06-06-2010, 1:33pm
Heaps of people had these at PMA this weekend. I could really have done with one after a week of carrying my camera around Melbourne streets. I looked at other people with the same basic strap I am currently using and could see they were trying all the different ways to hold the camera comfortably.

Showipix
06-06-2010, 4:39pm
Ive just done another weekend of dog show and agility picture taking and LOVE the R Strap - my only advise is dont wear a shirt it will slip against - but otherwise holds the camera nice and comfy and the mobile phone in the strap very acessible if it rings!!!

Cheers

Kellie

wattsgallery
06-06-2010, 5:08pm
Ive had trouble putting an order in online through their site (may be a paypal issue) but I will try again as they sound great.

Suzyanneau
06-06-2010, 6:09pm
Kellie, do you think it will fit an iphone?

Showipix
06-06-2010, 6:22pm
It fits my Samsung ultratouch easier - i will take the strap to work tomorrow and try it out with a collegues iphone and let you know!!

Cheers
Kellie

Suzyanneau
06-06-2010, 6:34pm
Thanks, I don't like putting my phone in my pocket, so on a strap could be a better idea.

etherial
06-06-2010, 6:42pm
It fits my HTC desire snugly which is a similar size to an iPhone.

Hang on, my wife has a iPhone!....

1 minute later...

Tight fit with its cover on, it does go in but I would say it isn't suitable. Take the cover off the phone and it slides in nicely. It would be nice if it were tiny bit bigger but does go ok and would be perfectly usable.

Showipix
07-06-2010, 9:06am
Hey have just finally got into work (after car pile up on Ipswich Motorway) and have put IPhone straight in their and it fits perfectly :) It keeps it in such a handy position too just on your chest :)

I ordered mine and had it from the US in 8 days so go girl and order :)

wattsgallery
07-06-2010, 3:22pm
Just ordered (successfully this time). Went with the RS7 as it now comes with the new fastener so will see how that goes. Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

Cheers
Josh

Watchamacallit
10-06-2010, 12:26pm
Thanks for the review and the discussions surrounding the Black Rapid RS straps - been having my eye on a non-neck strap for quite a while and this sealed the deal, so I got into looking for any local stockists (rather than importing from the website).

Since I've found out Sydney will have one of the official distrubutors for Black Rapid, I thought I'd share the fact that Foto Riesel Camera House will stock their products. I'm still waiting for an email for when stock arrives and on the pricing, but been told the price will be similar to the US pricing.

Suzyanneau
10-06-2010, 10:44pm
Well my hubby will be pleased because he has an HTC Desire. Thanks for checking. I think I am going to order a few straps. One each for our employees. It's about time we did something nice for them.

Tonto
11-06-2010, 7:21am
<bump>

Circular Polarisor/Filters Fit in R5?
Gotta get one of these, anything that lets me take photos easier is well worth the money.
If so what size? I have a 72mm Polarisor which comes with me everywhere, would be good not to have to pocket it.

etherial
11-06-2010, 7:32am
I've never tried to put a filter into it, but I don't think they would fit. The pockets are maybe 60mm wide. You might be able to get a small pouch that you can attach to your belt or to the strap itself though.

Watchamacallit
11-06-2010, 9:03am
<bump>

Circular Polarisor/Filters Fit in R5?
Gotta get one of these, anything that lets me take photos easier is well worth the money.

I've read that (most?) filters do not fit into the current pockets (including the Joey 1 and 2). As far as I know, they are developing a filter addition for their new MOD system which should cater to this, since there seems to be a high demand for it but you might be better off asking this directly to Black Rapid.

mikew09
11-06-2010, 9:16am
Great review. Veryinterested in one of these but have a question, does the lens tend to stick outwards with possible risk of hitting on something when you walk by or does it sit closely enough within reason to not be a real issue.

I hate my normal strap - pulls on my kneck and I had the way it sits on front when I have the 70-200 on.

I think I might order one also.

Tonto
11-06-2010, 3:28pm
Bummer on the filters, oh well in my pocket instead and phone in strap!
I don't really want to go up to a R7 for the Mods as I want to keep it as minmal as possible - will be using it everyday/everywhere.
Will prob grab one from Amazon when I next need to grab some stuff from there.

Watchamacallit
11-06-2010, 4:04pm
I thought the R7 was the most minimal? R7 is just the strap (and fastener) with the curved shoulder pad. The RS5 has the pockets/etc all built into the strap, the MOD system looks like you can just add (or remove) what you want to have what you want available. There's also a strap to tighten the R7 so it doesn't move around much either. Anywho, just giving the info I've researched.

@etherial
How did/do you find the fasteners? I don't do tripod work at the moment, so being able to hot shoe won't be a problem.

etherial
11-06-2010, 4:57pm
@etherial
How did/do you find the fasteners? I don't do tripod work at the moment, so being able to hot shoe won't be a problem.

I find it really good. It is plenty tight enough for me to feel very secure, yet easy to remove if I want to do tripod stuff.

Watchamacallit
11-06-2010, 8:12pm
That's reassuring as it was probably the only thing I could have been worried about. Must say, will be nice not to have a few kg sitting in my chest pretending to be iron man.

wattsgallery
16-06-2010, 2:58pm
Just ordered (successfully this time). Went with the RS7 as it now comes with the new fastener so will see how that goes. Thanks for all the encouragement guys.

My strap just arrived - under 10 days (including a long weekend) from order to receipt is not too bad US to Oz. Now to attach the camera.

Cheers
Josh

Watchamacallit
17-06-2010, 8:48pm
Thought I'd give people the heads up. Just recieved an email from Scott @ Foto Riesel, they now have them in (limited) stock. Won't go on about the pricing as I don't want to appear that I'm advertising for them :P Also informed their next shipment will be in 2-8 weeks.

And once I get my camera back and pick up these babies, I'll write a review up when I get some time.

etherial
19-07-2010, 6:08pm
Just thought I would add a warning about the tripod mounts. In another thread (about buying the straps) it has been pointed out that some poeple have seen issues where the bolt that fits into the cameras tripod mounting hole can come loose and the camera will hit the deck.

I have used this strap extensively and only once noticed that the bolt had started to come loose. So be warned it can happen. I now check mine regularly to ensure it is tightly fitted. I have heard of people making sure the rubber washer is moist when connecting it to stop it coming loose. I will try that from now on, but I can't say if it works as yet.

Anyway feel free to discuss here, I just thought being a review thread people should get the full story, good bad or otherwise!

gleeso
14-08-2010, 11:32am
Did you purchase the R-Strap in Australia or over the net.

If in Australia where from?

Many thanks

Gleeso

etherial
14-08-2010, 11:35am
This thread will answer your questions on where to purchase

http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=51251&highlight=blackrapid

B D H
19-08-2010, 3:32pm
I just bought one from :
Foto Riesel Camera House
364a Kent st
Sydney

They have the full range in stock, starting from $80.00

it was a good purchase, its much more comfotable to wear/use than the neckstrap

Suzyanneau
25-08-2010, 12:04am
I got mine from Camera Electronic today. It's the woman's style which just came in to stock. I got one for my hubby a few weeks ago. They delivered the next day both times, so I'm happy with the service. I'm pleased I waited for the women's style now. It has a couple of features I prefer aside from the obvious.

flashpixx
11-09-2010, 3:05pm
Can get them from http://www.qualitycamera.com.au/black-rapid-c-311.html?osCsid=bad32cd3362f04e312b96ed5827cf599

a site sponsor I believe

74sim
14-09-2010, 9:33pm
I was in at Photo Continental (Brisbane) on the weekend and they stock blackrapid too :)

Captured frame
21-10-2010, 10:10pm
Have the RS5 and could not be more happy - no more neck and shoulder problems ,can walk around with it all day with a 1D11N and 70-200 f2.8 and find it is most comfortable. Mine came bundled with the R3 ( from Quality Cameras - site sponsor ) and I find it is very secure when fastened on (hint - wet the rubber washer and it tends to be a much tighter fit ).

rellik666
22-10-2010, 9:00am
Just ordered one yesterday, So I will wait and see when it comes....think it will be invaluable for my trip O?S's!

Roo

wf5
08-11-2010, 8:36pm
I 'm a convert, much prefer the r-strap compared to the supplied neck strap that I was constantly getting tangled on :th3:
Postage seems a bit slower than it used to be direct from blackrapid, but the price is unbeatable compared to the AU sellers.