PDA

View Full Version : Anybody for a Nikon SB-400 Flash?

Calxoddity
15-04-2010, 12:29pm
Hi,
I just noticed Teds was selling these for $150 - I'm off to their shop at lunchtime to buy one for my D40. After taking some pikkies with the on-camera flash the other day and also being disappointed with the results of flash-fill attempts, I'm hoping the SB-400 does the job.

Provided all goes well, I'll do some tests on the weekend and post a mini-review. My master plan involves also getting the off-camera cable so that I can do (kind of) remote flash on the cheap and without the bulk.

Regards,
Calx

Calxoddity
15-04-2010, 1:24pm
Correction - it was $139 - even better!

Of course, I bought one... and had enough left over to buy the remote cable as well.

Wayne
15-04-2010, 1:44pm
What do they usually cost?

Calxoddity
15-04-2010, 2:21pm
Depending on where you look, between 200-240-ish. I was a little shocked at the size of the discount - I originally thought it must have been a misprint.

Regards,
Calx

Wayne
15-04-2010, 3:15pm
Pretty cheap for a great little flash, esp for those who can't bring themselves to spend $500+ for the SB-900's.
Good find!

ving
15-04-2010, 3:20pm
if i had the dough i'd get 2 for a off camera twin macro setup :D
reckon that'd rock!

rellik666
15-04-2010, 3:41pm
^^ that is what I was thinking, but as it doesn't have an off camera or commander mode it appears to be pretty limited in its use.....shame really I always love a bargin!

Roo

kiwi
15-04-2010, 3:47pm
a couple of yonghua triggers would sort that out

N*A*M
15-04-2010, 3:54pm
cool
might pick one up for my dad

$149.95 on the site
hope its better in store

Calxoddity
15-04-2010, 4:09pm
hi - I got the SC-28 TTL curly cable with it, so that I can put the flash a metre or two away and still have the camera (a D40) drive it fully.

This was the next best thing to going into all that remote commander crap and wireless triggering. Can't afford that stuff unless I win lotto... and the best bit is that the whole rig is *tiny*.

I might have got lucky with the better price in-store - perhaps my mournful look and puppy dog eyes did the trick (as if!!!).

N*A*M
16-04-2010, 1:57pm
yeah i picked one up for $149.95 as advertised but still pretty happy with that for a bricks and mortar retail price

my dad should get better indoor shots with this

i also treated myself to an optech reporter strap

Calxoddity
18-04-2010, 12:12pm
Hi,
Took the flash for a play last night and this morning and I'm very impressed.

It's an extremely compact unit, but throws the light quite nicely. Just using it as a replacement on-camera flash it's lightyears ahead of the built -in unit. Speaking of which, don't forget to turn the SB-400 on *before* pressing the flash button on the camera, otherwise the built-in on pops up and hits it...

You hardly notice it's on the camera - very unobtrusive.

The ability to bounce the flash brings a whole new look to the photos, but even straight-on the spread of light is much more even and there's no nasty shiny spots on people's foreheads etc. Bounce flash tends to bring a warmer look to people.

Things get a lot more interesting when you take the SB-400 off-camera using the SC-28 TTL cable. I went out this morning to get some close-ups of some camellias and had the flash under, over, to the side, close by, far away, just by holding it out at the relevant position. This is a bit of a revelation for me, as my pseudo-macro attempts to date have all been available light. Now I have off-camera macro flash!

Will post some pikkies later - have to mow the lawn now!

Regards,
Calx

Calxoddity
18-04-2010, 7:59pm
Hi,
Quick and dirty - two photos of a nice flower. The end of the lens is around 10cm from the flower, and the flowers are in heavy shade.

The flash is positioned to the side at arm's length at two different positions, with around 10 seconds between photos. So easy, so versatile.

Regards,
Calx

old dog
18-04-2010, 8:28pm
it`s a good little lightweight unit. I got one when I bought my D80..for an extra $99. I had to buy it at that price. Now I have the 600 as well I tend to use that one more than the little fellow. Good to be able to bounce with it. Hadn`t thought about triggers and using it off camera.