kiwi
15-04-2010, 9:25am
According to Thom anyhow

ving
15-04-2010, 9:49am
and how much will that cost.... buy me one darren? :D

nick351
15-04-2010, 10:03am
If it does come out, should prices on the current version drop or maintain?

campo
15-04-2010, 10:11am
there's been speculation on this one for years but i couldn't wait to get one so i did.

i wonder if the old one will drop in price and if so how much, it's a cracker lens and won't be leaving my bag anytime soon unless a new version out performs it considerably

kiwi
15-04-2010, 11:42am
The specualation is that it will cost a fair bit more than the current model. eg the 28 1.4. It cant be ridiculously more though.

This will mean that though that the second hand value of the 85 1.4 is maintained

Richard, i'll be getting three, so, you can have one

N*A*M
15-04-2010, 1:55pm
yeah it will cost more... af-s, vr and nano crystal goodness will make it very pricey
that's why i also got the af-d version when i could afford it and i haven't regretted that at all
i am interested in a new 35 1.4 though

Sar NOP
15-04-2010, 10:04pm
Is this the one ? :D

http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/4485/indexbr.jpg

arthurking83
15-04-2010, 10:14pm
How dare they not put a VR badge on a VR lens! :p

Gregg Bell
16-04-2010, 5:31pm
Can someone tell me the point of it having VR when the lens isn't very big, I fail to see the point, unless it actually gives you 4 extra stops during night shots...

campo
16-04-2010, 8:48pm
Can someone tell me the point of it having VR when the lens isn't very big, I fail to see the point, unless it actually gives you 4 extra stops during night shots...
it's to do with focal length not physical size of lens, although the physical size does make some lenses easier/harder to hold.

as the focal length increases, so does the effect of a small 'vibration' at the camera end. On a wide angle lens, a small movement at the camera is hardly noticed in the picture, but on a long telephoto lens, a small movement at the camera end results in a much bigger change in the picture.

swifty
16-04-2010, 9:50pm
Should be a stellar performer when released cos its got a lot to live up to. The AF-D version is often referred to as the "cream machine." I hope the new one maintains this aspect of IQ. Only downer for me is that it'll almost certainly be a G lens which means no aperture ring which I guess probably means squat to most ppl.
I hate to guess how much it'll cost though.

mongo
16-04-2010, 11:43pm
Darn Sar - he keeps little/big secrets in his camera bag and springs them on us without notice.:D Who knows what other unannounced desirables he has lurking in there

Mongo will not be parting with his pristine AI-s model for this one.
Why do you need VR with such a FAST short lens anyway ?????
You would only buy this lens if you do not already have another version of it.

fillum
17-04-2010, 3:36am
How dare they not put a VR badge on a VR lens! :pHmmm...also looks like they left off the DOF scale under the distance window? :)