PDA

View Full Version : Buy a 5DMkII or Wait

cascade
14-04-2010, 1:43pm
Hi guys, I'll soon hopefully be in a position to buy a 5D MkII but I wanted to know if anyone has heard of anything new that might be released soon that will superseed the MkII.

It feels like I have been waiting for this camera for so long and I'd hate to get it and then have something new released and miss out on a bargain as they offload old models, or maybe get some new tech?

Dizzy Photographics
14-04-2010, 1:51pm
It feels like I have been waiting for this camera for so long and I'd hate to get it and then have something new released and miss out on a bargain as they offload old models, or maybe get some new tech?

Always the way though isn't it :(

mikec
14-04-2010, 2:04pm
I just bought my 5D II and was thinking the same thing. The most I could gather is that there wouldn't be a new body til late in the year at the earliest, more than likey nothing until 2011.

But at the end of the day what is more useful, a camera you have now or don't have?

My main drive was I was hitting the limit my old body could handle, ISO mainly, so I just took the plunge in the end.

I @ M
14-04-2010, 2:05pm
My thoughts

5D released around Sept. 05

5D mk11 released Sept. 08

After having been advised that I had the wrong release dates I reckon they might be close to getting a new model out but like always with any maker, you either wait and hope prices fall or the new model is 100% better than the old one and the end result is the same. You aren't out getting the pics you want.

Go on, you know you want it. :D
It is a proven excellent camera, just do it. :)

ameerat42
14-04-2010, 5:06pm
My thoughts

5D mk11 released Sept. 09

The mk11 is only 7 or 8 months old on the market, ...

Hey Andrew, DP Review lists the ?release date? as Sept 2008, and the in-depth review was done in Feb 2009. The above thread relates to my position as well, so I have been ???-ering. Am

kwokask
14-04-2010, 5:08pm

5D mk11 released Sept. 09

Actually the MkII was announced in Sept 08. Going by the refresh period of 3 yrs, we could expect a MkIII in Sept 11.

pupmeister
14-04-2010, 5:09pm
I have found that http://www.canonrumors.com/ is normally the best place to find all the info and speculation on upcoming cameras.

They have a section http://www.canonrumors.com/category/photography/canon-5d-mark-iii/ dedicated to the 5d mk iii.

Cheers
Stephen

I @ M
14-04-2010, 5:15pm
Hey Andrew, DP Review lists the ?release date? as Sept 2008, and the in-depth review was done in Feb 2009. The above thread relates to my position as well, so I have been ???-ering. Am

Well there ya go, I can't even remember what site I grabbed those figures from but they are as obviously as wrong as me. :o

I will go and edit my stuff up, they can figure theirs out in their own good time.

ausguitarman
14-04-2010, 7:37pm
Grab the MKII now. Brilliant camera and you'll have a years worth of great shots :).

tomtom1
14-04-2010, 7:40pm
What are you hoping to get out of an updated version of the 5d?

The mkII has fantastic image quality and high iso performance. The main gripes come from 'autofocus issues' and relatively low fps. What are you planning on shooting?

The new model will be a lot more expensive when it comes out. You said that you've waited this long for the mk II, why wait for the mk III? When that comes out are you going to wait for the mk IV? Just get it if it's going to benefit you now. You might get it a bit cheaper if you wait, but it won't be in your hands until then!

JM Tran
14-04-2010, 8:15pm
What are you hoping to get out of an updated version of the 5d?

The mkII has fantastic image quality and high iso performance. The main gripes come from 'autofocus issues' and relatively low fps. What are you planning on shooting?

The new model will be a lot more expensive when it comes out. You said that you've waited this long for the mk II, why wait for the mk III? When that comes out are you going to wait for the mk IV? Just get it if it's going to benefit you now. You might get it a bit cheaper if you wait, but it won't be in your hands until then!

excellent words Tom.

The only negative side of the 5DMKII is that it retains the original AF system of the 5D - but to me, that means nothing - I happily used it for professional work from weddings, fashion, travel, landscape etc, and I have no problems.

What I find is that a lot of ppl who complain about the 5D's slow focusing, is due to them using crappy consumer lenses, or using small apertures such as F5.6 and above for low light work due to their lenses, and wondering OH WHY CANT MY 5D FOCUS IN LOW LIGHT MUCH etc etc etc

Lens have always been more important than the camera body, and the original 5D is no push over either. Still one of the sharpest Canon cameras due to its weak AA filter.

Wayne
14-04-2010, 8:39pm
It would depend upon what if anything you shoot now.

If this is a first SLR or going to be your only SLR then perhaps get it now and enjoy 12 months use before any upgrade comes out, or perhaps buy a hardly used one and when the new release comes, you won't have taken the huge $$ hit.

If it is replacing an existing SLR, then ask what the 5DII will give you that you do not currently have, and if that is not a big step up, I would be inclined to wait for the new release. To me it would not be worth getting soon to be superseded models if they are replacing existing bodies.

I was going to buy a D3s (I have a D3) but feel that doing so is not worth the small benefit of video and little else for the changeover price. When the D4 is out, hopefully it will have HD video like the D3s AND get a significant boost in resolution, so I'm waiting to see what happens.....

Philr
14-04-2010, 8:45pm
When you get one, if thats what you decide, you will not be dissapointed at all! Awesome camera for all the reasons listed above:th3: