PDA

View Full Version : Guys help me out - which lens

Kid007
14-04-2010, 9:45am
Good Day People,

This is my second post after the introduction one :)

I will be travelling to my parents place in the next couple of months for a family fucntion ( Long story cut short, the function is sort of like a wedding), which will be indoors. I have got Sigma 18-200 OS, Canon kit lens, Canon 50 1.8, Canon 580 EX2 & the body is 400 D.

The question, is this gear gonna be suficent ? Should I consider any other lens ? At this stage, I dont want to dig in too much for a lens. I was considering a second hand 24-70 L f 2.8, but then cost was the issues. If I do need to get any lens, the max I can spend is $500 + or - 50. I have seen 85 f1.8 for sale (seond hand) around, but do i need it ? ( considering the whole affair is going to be indoors with family around) and would it be different to 50mm f1.8; i mean if i conver the 50 to 85mm by taking few steps, wouldnt that be same ?

Your advise is much appreciated.

Cheers.

Kym
14-04-2010, 9:55am
Changing lenses is a pain. You lose a lot of time and may miss *that* shot.

So I'd be using the Sigma 18-200 OS maybe with a decent flash.
Wide enough for group shots (and you can zoom with your feet) and long enough for candids at a family event.

lighthunter
14-04-2010, 10:30am
You don't wanna shoot indoor with a slow Sigma 18-200! Using a flash makes it even worse in my opinion.

Look for a affordable Tamron 17-50 2.8 It offers enough wide angle and is fast enough in low light situations like indoor shooting.

Your 50mm is fine but I think it is too much for indoor. I use indoor in low light an EF 35 2.0 which is also very affordable but not as flexible as a zoom.

ving
14-04-2010, 10:32am
yup what kym said... unless you can get another camera going too.

mikec
14-04-2010, 12:44pm
You don't wanna shoot indoor with a slow Sigma 18-200! Using a flash makes it even worse in my opinion.

Look for a affordable Tamron 17-50 2.8 It offers enough wide angle and is fast enough in low light situations like indoor shooting.

Your 50mm is fine but I think it is too much for indoor. I use indoor in low light an EF 35 2.0 which is also very affordable but not as flexible as a zoom.

He can shoot manual and bounce a flash off the ceiling though plus with the flash on board he will get focus assit if he needs it, don't see the problem?

f2.8 on a 400D, probably still wouldn't be fast enough if it was kind of dark inside anyway. I'm not sure how great the ISO is on the 400D but it couldn't be better than the 450D I had.

Tricky
14-04-2010, 1:11pm
Given it's indoors and you already have an excellent flash in the 580EX2, I would use the 580EX2 plus 18-200. I don't think even f/1.8 will be enough with a 400D to get a fast enough shutter speed at an acceptable level of noise (I think you'd be needing ISO800 or 1600, which is pretty unuseable with a 400D).

It is important to learn how to make best use of your flash, ie practice bouncing it off the ceiling and wall behind you. A diffuser can also be useful if you have no option but to aim the flash directly at the subjects. Results with flash can be perfectly good, though clearly natural light is best where available. Poor use of flash will result in poor pictures, so lots of practice before the event will pay dividends.

Kid007
14-04-2010, 1:38pm
Thanks Heaps guys, but please keep the suggestion coming through.

In regards to bouncing the flash, the place will have high ceiling and it will be dark in colour ( so will the wall colours be too). May be diffuser might help or may be not - I am not sure, never used a diffuser before.

From suggestions, am I to wipe off the idea of getting a lens ?

cheers.

Speedway
14-04-2010, 1:43pm
I would use a little of the money to get a wireless trigger and umbrella then mount the flash on a tripod with umbrella then use the 18-200 and/or the 50 with the onboard flash with a piece of plastic milk carton taped over the front to diffuse it.

Australis
14-04-2010, 3:05pm
use the 18-200 and/or the 50 with the onboard flash with a piece of plastic milk carton taped over the front to diffuse it.

New here at the forums.
Could you give a little more into about the piece of milk carton, do you mean to tape it onto the camera with the flash popped up.?
Cheers Michelle.

bigbikes
14-04-2010, 3:59pm
You say you have a 50mm 1.8. Why not just use that inside and save your money.
:food04:

dulvariprestige
14-04-2010, 8:34pm
Have you thought about renting a lens, if this sounds like an option, you could try these guys,http://www.brisbanecamerahire.com.au

Kid007
15-04-2010, 9:20am
Thanks again people.

Tripod and umbrella is not even an option for me :( As I am travelling overseas for the function, I would not be able to carry my tripod or any other heavy accessories.

I was considering a second hand Tammy 24-75 (i think) f 2.8, but then I am not sure. Should I be content with my current gear, save up and get a L lens sometime down the track ? Am I thinking too much ??

Getting close to "totally confused" stage... :(

Anyways, keeps your thoughts coming through.

Thanks again.
Cheers.

kiwi
15-04-2010, 9:28am
Use your 18-200, use your flash, get a diffuser (larger the better) and spend time practicing rather than stressing about a new lens

Kym
15-04-2010, 9:31am
BTW Inside the 18-200 at the 120-200mm end will give you 'up close and personal' candids (full face or head and shoulders) at the other side of the room.
You flash should still have range as well.

As I said above, changing lenses is not a good idea at these sort of events, you start missing shots.

So thinking one rig to cover the majority of shots at this sort of event is the 18-200 + flash.

Just do the check list before you leave home (charged batteries, memory cards etc.)

Edit: (Thanks Kiwi) DIY Gary Fong diffuser (http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=34183)

Kid007
15-04-2010, 10:21am
Thanks to all again.

I am convinced to stay with 18-200 and flash. May be I will get a diffuser, the one that clips on to the 580.

And yes, I will be practicing a lot. :)

Thanks again.