PDA

View Full Version : Nothing Like Australia Competition

Longshots
13-04-2010, 3:11pm
Regarding the Tourism Australia - Nothing Like Australia photographic competition; well there is nothing like a great big red flag going up.

I've read and checked approximately 5 - 6,000 photographic competition's terms and conditions which are promoted here, and around the world, and these are by far the least palatable.

Be very very careful in reading the terms and conditions before considering entering.

This is the competition link:

http://nothinglikeaustralia.com/

Here's the Terms and Conditions link:

http://www.australia.com/promotions/nothinglike_termsconditions.aspx

The simplest part to understand is that by entering you GIVE this organisation (which has huge funding), to use your entry for what it likes and where it likes.

11. By entering the Promotion, Eligible Entrants absolutely and unconditionally assign (and agree to use their best endeavours to procure any relevant third parties to absolutely and unconditionally assign) to the Promoter all right, title and interest in all intellectual property rights in their entry, including ownership of intellectual property rights in any photograph that forms part of an entry.

Apart from a long list of concerns, entrants also can be held liable in the long term future for how they (Tourism Australia)

Another quote from this "competition" :

12. By entering the Promotion, Eligible Entrants acknowledge that their entry may be used by the Promoter, the Promoter's related entities, agencies engaged by the Promoter, or any other third party nominated by the Promoter, for the Promoter's current and future promotional and marketing purposes without further reference or compensation to them. Eligible Entrants unconditionally and irrevocably:
(a) consent to any act or omission that would otherwise infringe any of their moral rights in their entry (as defined in Part IX of the Copyright Act 1968 (Cth)) and present and future rights of a similar nature conferred by statute anywhere in the world whether occurring before or after this consent is given (Moral Rights); and
(b) waive all Moral Rights in their entry that arise outside Australia.
13. Eligible Entrants acknowledge that:
(a) entries may be reviewed by the Promoter to ensure that they comply with the Terms, and consequently whether they are an Eligible Entry or not, which will be decided in the Promoter's sole discretion;
(b) the Promoter may notify entrants if their entry is invalid or rejected because it does not comply with these Terms, but is under no obligation to do so;
(c) the Promoter intends to post all Eligible Entries on the website located at www.nothinglikeaustralia.com, however the Promoter is under no obligation to post Eligible Entries to that website and makes no representation and provides no guarantee as to when Eligible Entries may be posed to that website;
(d) the Promoter intends to use Eligible Entries in its marketing campaigns, however the Promoter is under no obligation to do so;
(e) the Promoter has the right to use an Eligible Entry in any media or in anyway it sees fit; and
(f) if requested by the Promoter, Eligible Entrants may be required to provide the Promoter with a high resolution version of the photograph submitted as part of the Eligible Entry.

Having successfully convinced so many organisations to adapt and change their terms and conditions, to demonstrate an intent of good professional and ethical corporate behaviour, that works for both the organisers and the entrants, I would recommend that this particular "competition" be given a very wide berth by all. And I use the term competition loosely. :roll:

ving
13-04-2010, 3:37pm
not sure about these comps where you sign all rights over to someone else. :/

it used to not bother me but it does for some reason now.

James T
13-04-2010, 3:59pm
It's the same if you do work for the government. They won't let you do anything unless you give them sole copyright. Policy for them to control how images are used, so they can't be using one image, which is then associated to some other cause / product, etc that may reflect badly on them.

Very annoying.

saratoga
13-04-2010, 5:22pm
Thanks for the post Longshots.

Certainly won't be entering...just looking at the length of all the Terms and Conditions is enough to turn me off!

Kym
13-04-2010, 6:55pm
It's the same if you do work for the government. They won't let you do anything unless you give them sole copyright. Policy for them to control how images are used, so they can't be using one image, which is then associated to some other cause / product, etc that may reflect badly on them.

Very annoying.

I don't have a problem with that as long as you get paid for your work.
If I write software for an employer and get paid for it then they own the copy to that work.
If I write software in my own time I can license it as I see fit.

But a comp as indicated by William you don't get anything for your work and they get commercial value for free.

James T
13-04-2010, 9:38pm
I don't have a problem with that as long as you get paid for your work.
If I write software for an employer and get paid for it then they own the copy to that work.
If I write software in my own time I can license it as I see fit.

But a comp as indicated by William you don't get anything for your work and they get commercial value for free.

I think both are wrong personally. But yes, competitions like that are 'more wrong.' :D

Saying that, I'm still shooting for the State Govt. next week and will, unfortunately, be signing over my copyright. :rolleyes:

Longshots
14-04-2010, 5:05am
As a BTW, I regularly shoot for state, and fed govs, and as yet have always negotiated keeping my copyright and instead explained that I provide an unrestricted usage licence. Once explained, every dept I've ever been asked to work for, have been completely happy to proceed with commissioning me. Its a point of principle, and in reality there isnt much difference between the two. If anyone wants me to explain in detail, I can and will, in another topic.

James T
14-04-2010, 6:42pm
As a BTW, I regularly shoot for state, and fed govs, and as yet have always negotiated keeping my copyright and instead explained that I provide an unrestricted usage licence. Once explained, every dept I've ever been asked to work for, have been completely happy to proceed with commissioning me. Its a point of principle, and in reality there isnt much difference between the two. If anyone wants me to explain in detail, I can and will, in another topic.

Interesting. I tried to do the same, obviously, but had no joy. I even offered a joint copyright agreement to no avail. :confused013 Just got the 'it's a new policy to own all the IP' response.

All I 'got' in the end, was folio rights (with individual approval) and mandatory credit where used. But as they're pretty much legal requirements anyway, I don't feel like I'm getting much.

Longshots
16-04-2010, 7:23am
Further information on this "competition":

http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/04/15/tourism-australia-wants-you-and-your-intellectual-property-rights/

And scuse me quoting a fellow photographer Milton Wordley:

"The AIPP and the ACMP are working together to have the ATC change the entry rules on the latest campaign - if you are not aware of the campaign have a look at the following.

http://www.crikey.com.au/2010/04/15/tourism-australia-wants-you-and-your-intellectual-property-rights/

http://acmp.com.au/tourism-australia-nothing-like-australia-really-2/

http://www.aippblog.com/?p=163

William Long has campaigned on our Industries' behalf over many years. Open Competitions are often held to obtain copyright free images at no cost.

The latest ATC campaign has by far the worst set of terms and conditions he has ever seen.

Currently in direct dialog with the ATC. He is after a brief statement from as many photographers as he can muster, to include in a submission he is presenting to ATC next Monday the 19th.

Have a look at the stories listed in the above links - or go to the ATC web site and have a look for yourself.

If you have time send him an email - a short statement with a few dot points voicing your concern would be great.

We need to do our best to stop this continual devaluing of our craft."

This is the terms and conditions link:
http://www.australia.com/promotions/nothinglike_termsconditions.aspx

I would really welcome anyone who would have been interested in entering this competition, pro, enthusiast, amateur, tourist, anyone - and if the terms and conditions have stopped you entering.

Please dont make it a novel, just give me the bullet points. By listening and receiving a large number of responses over a large range of people with cameras, I will be well armed to tackle this issue.

So please take the time to comment. Thanks

I @ M
16-04-2010, 7:44am
Unfortunately, your average punter with any sort of camera sees competitions like these with a prize attached and never even bothers to read the fine print regarding image usage and a good percentage of the ones who do simply don't even care what happens to their shots after they have entered or even won a comp.

StanW
16-04-2010, 9:08am
I'm quite sure about "competitions" of this kind. DON't enter them, and advise all your friends.

ricktas
16-04-2010, 9:24am
Good luck with the campaign William. I tend to agree with I@M here, your average joe with a camera often doesn't consider the t&c, and sees only the offer of a prize. I hope you manage to affect some change William.

Longshots
16-04-2010, 2:20pm
Unfortunately, your average punter with any sort of camera sees competitions like these with a prize attached and never even bothers to read the fine print regarding image usage and a good percentage of the ones who do simply don't even care what happens to their shots after they have entered or even won a comp.

I happen to agree with you here. But I feel a moral and ethical responsibility, that when a company or organisation produce something that is so blatantly unfair, I and many of my better informed colleagues should stand up and shout as loud as I/We can that this is NOT RIGHT.

If I can encourage just a few more people to read that fine print, then the unsavory, and in my view unethical practice will be shown for what it is - a sham.

kiwi
16-04-2010, 2:26pm

Id certainly find that interesting if you are able

Craftypics
17-04-2010, 5:46pm
Good Luck Longshots with getting the terms changed. As they are now its just morally Wrong

Analog6
17-04-2010, 8:20pm
It's really simple, if you don't like the terms and conditions don't enter. Then they won't be any sort of a worry. It is disappointing that they chose to make such onerous terms but that is their prerogative, and it is ours as to whether or we not enter.

creativepro
17-04-2010, 8:58pm
It's really simple, if you don't like the terms and conditions don't enter. Then they won't be any sort of a worry. It is disappointing that they chose to make such onerous terms but that is their prerogative, and it is ours as to whether or we not enter.

thanks for the advice to be on the look out - it is a timely reminder

Sue

Longshots
18-04-2010, 12:36pm

I do completely agree with you.

But the point thats missing is that this an important gov funded organisation that is relying on people not reading the terms and conditions.

There is something in law - unconscionable conduct ( and I'll state that I'm not a lawyer but did once point out to a very well known legal organisation, that their actions in restricting my business could be construed as unconscionable conduct - I won the point) which is very apt in this case.

And if you like me would like to arm yourself with the right information - as I've found it extremely useful in business over the past decade and a half - then here is the link from the Aus Gov's Trade Practices Act:

for businesses

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml?itemId=303748

and for individuals

http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/716807

Being taken advantage of in a way that offends the conscience is known as unconscionable conduct. The Trade Practices Act recognises that there may be circumstances where the manner in which a contract was executed was unconscionable, such as a disparity in bargaining power.

This is one of many arguments against brutally unfaid terms and conditions. And yes we're all quite capabale of reading them. But may I ask you Sue, just how many times you read the Terms and Conditions of say entering your local car park (they're inside most of the time, and most of the time they try to absolve themselves of their legal responsibilities - but you accept them as soon as you take the ticket from the boom arm entrance); or have you checked the Terms and Conditions of your local Westfield Shopping Centre, which are always rather entertaining; or the Terms and Conditions on your local transport; or the Terms and Conditions on your local software upgrade ? My guess is that like 99.999% of customers, you would just tick the little box on those upgrades and you would never think about it again.

Being held liable even when you have already given your copyright away, just by entering (not winning you should note, and not even being selected as a finalist), is simply not acceptable to standard ethics in business. And in my view its the power of the company/organisation that is transgressing a simple and reasonably well known part of the Trade Business Practices.

CherylB
18-04-2010, 1:28pm
Being held liable even when you have already given your copyright away, just by entering (not winning you should note, and not even being selected as a finalist), is simply not acceptable to standard ethics in business. And in my view its the power of the company/organisation that is transgressing a simple and reasonably well known part of the Trade Business Practices.

This is something I haven't seen mentioned in this thread. Where the terms and conditions of the competition state that:

11. By entering the Promotion, Eligible Entrants absolutely and unconditionally assign (and agree to use their best endeavours to procure any relevant third parties to absolutely and unconditionally assign) to the Promoter all right, title and interest in all intellectual property rights in their entry, including ownership of intellectual property rights in any photograph that forms part of an entry.

IP is more than copyright, but the important thing is it includes copyright! By using the term IP the ATC is further acting unconscionably (IMO) because some people might think that because it hasn't mentioned the word "copyright" they are okay and will retain it themselves. Absolutely wrong!

Take the next leap: as copyright holders once the ATC have received your entry, if you then try to do anything else with that particular image, you might well have the ATC's lawyers onto you because you don't own it or have any rights whatsoever to it! Theoretically, you could even try to print it from your local Harvey Norman and find yourself in hot water! (Not likely I know, but not beyond the realms of possibility!)

ricktas
18-04-2010, 1:41pm
Sadly we are seeing this more and more, and it isn't just photography competitions. I have had a recent ongoing 'discussion' with a person who wants the right to sign up on Ausphotography as a member, purely to promote a product. They have contacted me several times telling me all about the product (a range of hard drives), and since I told them they would have to pay for advertising, I have been bombarded with several emails calling me all sorts of unsavoury names.

People (and businesses/government) seem to be moving more and more towards this attitude of wanting all the rights, and not paying a cent for them. I think the rules in these photographic competitions are just an extension of a general shift in business/government ethics, sadly.

Good luck William, I hope you have a win in this instance.

Longshots
23-04-2010, 9:57am
After lobbying Tourism Australia on behalf of both AIPP and ACMP, they have finally chosen to make significant change to the Terms and Conditions of their competition.

Once they send me through the changes I will post an update,

Longshots
23-04-2010, 10:23am
"Dear William

As discussed please see the new terms and conditions below.

Following on from our discussions and your feedback, the team had another look at the terms and conditions and made a couple of changes. The main changes are to clause 11 and we have deleted what was previously clause 45.

Thanks for your input on this.

If you have any queries please let me know.

Best regards

Kim

Kim Moore"

The new terms are on the Nothing Like Australia Website

wilburwilde
18-05-2010, 9:50pm
Just to add to this thread, Canon is having a competition, 'Canon Keepers'.

Rule 16
Entries cannot be returned. By entering the competition entrants agree and understand that their written entries and/or photos may be used for promotional purposes without any further reference, payment or other compensation to the entrant and/or owner of the photograph. Entrants under the age of 18 must seek a parent or adult/guardian’s permission to send any photo to enter a promotion.

Rule 19
As a condition of entering into this promotion, each entrant licences the Facilitator to use their entry in any media for an unlimited time for the purpose of conducting the promotion, including publishing the entries on the Canon website. As a further condition of entering into this promotion, each Finalist also licences the Promoter and the Facilitator to use their entry in any media for an unlimited time for the purpose of promoting this promotion or any future promotions or competitions of a similar nature or the products or services of the Facilitator.

Rule 22
The Promoter and/or the Facilitator reserves the right to request winners to sign a Winner’s deed of release or any other relevant forms or agreements that the Promoter and/or the Facilitator deems necessary, to provide proof of identity, proof of age, proof of residency at the nominated prize delivery address and/or proof of entry validity (including phone bill) in order to claim a prize. Proof of identification, residency, age and entry considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of the Promoter and/or the Facilitator. In the event that a winner cannot provide suitable proof, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and no substitute will be offered.

Slightly worrying that photo comps all see to get your pics even if they so not win for LIFE.

Will

Longshots
19-05-2010, 6:14am
Just to add to this thread, Canon is having a competition, 'Canon Keepers'.

Rule 16
Entries cannot be returned. By entering the competition entrants agree and understand that their written entries and/or photos may be used for promotional purposes without any further reference, payment or other compensation to the entrant and/or owner of the photograph. Entrants under the age of 18 must seek a parent or adult/guardian’s permission to send any photo to enter a promotion.

Rule 19
As a condition of entering into this promotion, each entrant licences the Facilitator to use their entry in any media for an unlimited time for the purpose of conducting the promotion, including publishing the entries on the Canon website. As a further condition of entering into this promotion, each Finalist also licences the Promoter and the Facilitator to use their entry in any media for an unlimited time for the purpose of promoting this promotion or any future promotions or competitions of a similar nature or the products or services of the Facilitator.

Rule 22
The Promoter and/or the Facilitator reserves the right to request winners to sign a Winner’s deed of release or any other relevant forms or agreements that the Promoter and/or the Facilitator deems necessary, to provide proof of identity, proof of age, proof of residency at the nominated prize delivery address and/or proof of entry validity (including phone bill) in order to claim a prize. Proof of identification, residency, age and entry considered suitable for verification is at the discretion of the Promoter and/or the Facilitator. In the event that a winner cannot provide suitable proof, the winner will forfeit the prize in whole and no substitute will be offered.

Slightly worrying that photo comps all see to get your pics even if they so not win for LIFE.

Will

Hi Will

Thanks for raising this. OK, I read these all of the time, and hadnt seen this one, which is disappointing as I thought I had a relationship with Canon which included being consulted on T&C before they're released. So I've immediately written to them as # 16 concerns me immensely.

Let me explain #19 and #22.

#19 is perfectly reasonable, that they ask for this "for the purpose of conducting the promotion, including publishing the entries on the Canon website" is important as they need that to run the competition. In simple terms, its normal and required to run the comp.

#22 proof of identity - again normal, and understandable. Entrants need to be indentified correctly. IMHO, its perfectly reasonable to ask for this.

Not happy with #16 though. Personally I believe this to be an error on Canon's behalf as opposed to a sneaky image grab. This is the worrying part, and one that is completely unacceptable from my position:

By entering the competition entrants agree and understand that their written entries and/or photos may be used for promotional purposes without any further reference, payment or other compensation to the entrant and/or owner of the photograph.

I will be asking them to remove that.

I'll keep you in touch with progress

wilburwilde
19-05-2010, 7:56am
The only thing that worries me on number 22 is they state ANY paper work required to confirm identity. So possibly a paper with a sub clause hidden releaving the picture winner of all rights and royalties, and possibly ever being able to use the said pic again without copyright issues. Might just be my suspicious nature, but thats the first thing i thought. Thanks for clearing up on 19 though.

Will

Longshots
19-05-2010, 8:11am
Dont blame you for being suspicious, but it clearly states what its for :

Rule 22
The Promoter and/or the Facilitator reserves the right to request winners to sign a Winner’s deed of release or any other relevant forms or agreements that the Promoter and/or the Facilitator deems necessary, to provide proof of identity, proof of age, proof of residency at the nominated prize delivery address and/or proof of entry validity (including phone bill) in order to claim a prize.

They wouldnt be able to get away with adding in anything other than proof of identity, and I very much doubt Canon would go to such deceptive practices.

Longshots
01-06-2010, 8:27am
Just as an update. On the Canon Keepers competition:

I've just been informed by Canon, that unfortunately, for complicated reasons, (ie apparently its the competition promoters fault) the Canon Keepers terms and conditions cannot be changed for the better.

So my advice is not to support this competition. Read the terms and conditions very carefully. Once entered, not only are you effectively giving your image away, with an unrestricted licence for Canon and Pacific Magazines to do with it what they wish, but they will also be using your personal details for again whatever they want to do with them (you need to register just to read the terms and conditions!)

In their defence, I've been assured that Canon cannot seemingly do anything to change the T&C as its the responsibility of the promoter Pacific Magazines, who are not willing to change.

bigdazzler
01-06-2010, 9:19am

And thats the bottom line right there ... Copyright infringement and unauthorised use of images is more important to some then others, and obviously critical to working professionals that rely on getting paid for their work. Most Joe amateurs probably wouldnt know if their images are being used somewhere anyway. The minute you put an image on the internet you are risking that, even if it is lo res, watermarked, whatever.

Longshots
01-06-2010, 4:47pm
And thats the bottom line right there ... Copyright infringement and unauthorised use of images is more important to some then others, and obviously critical to working professionals that rely on getting paid for their work. Most Joe amateurs probably wouldnt know if their images are being used somewhere anyway. The minute you put an image on the internet you are risking that, even if it is lo res, watermarked, whatever.

Completely agree with both of you (big Dazzler/Darren and I @ M/Andrew). Both are quite right. With some terms and conditions, some are so bad that you are both liable for all future legal issues (like releases and other stuff), and once entered cannot be entered into any other competition.

So although I agree with all of the good points. Its also worth speaking out to at the very least, alert people to read the terms and conditions and see just what you're getting involved with.

Saying all of that, there are plenty of great competitions, with fair and honest terms and conditions, which are being announced almost every week.