PDA

View Full Version : Whimberley, Jobu, Mongoose???

mrDooba
12-04-2010, 8:36pm
I'm looking to purchase a heavy duty mount for my 300mm (and 500mm when I get it) I was wondering if anyone had experience with any of these heads.
Also I was wondering if anyone could recommend a place/site to purchase one from. The camera stores in my area don't seem to stock them and I'm not familiar with any Aussie online stores. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Babu
12-04-2010, 10:56pm
My preference would be the Wimberley Head II. It is recommended for use with lenses from 300mm f2.8 up. This gimbal head makes it easier for you to manipulate these larger lenses because it places their centres of gravity below the mounting point. However, if you already own a very good ballhead mount and don't intend to go beyond a 500mm lens, you could buy the considerably cheaper Wimberley Sidekick.
Try Cameras Direct at the Gold Coast.

MarkW
13-04-2010, 6:05pm
I have the side kick on a 500 with a BH55 heavy duty ball head.

The wimberley gimball head wouldn't be my pic if you use a range of lenses, it really dedicated to the long glass and I think that a 300 only just makes it into that class, barely. Once you have the wimberley head on your not likely to be carrying the extra ball head if you change lenses. It also is difficult to use if your using an L bracket even if its "Arca" compliant - means you then nedd to remove the L bracket and fit a different type of camera shoe plate.

The side kick on the other hand can be easily remove and still leaves you the ball head with an Arca plate in place ready for your landscape use. To me its the best of both worlds.

Both systems require an Arca Swiss type plate and which ever way you go, get an after market leg for your lens that has an extended foot plate. This will allow you to slide the lens/camera assembly back or forward to get the correct balance.

Big Pix
13-04-2010, 6:09pm
I use this http://photovideo.com.au/acratech-long-lens-head-p-5963.html for both a 300 mm & 500 mm and all my general photography needs...... along with a leveling base

MarkW
13-04-2010, 6:40pm
I use this http://photovideo.com.au/acratech-long-lens-head-p-5963.html for both a 300 mm & 500 mm and all my general photography needs...... along with a leveling base

Big Pix
Each to their own, but this is not for me

Where you de-tension a wimberley, a side kick or any other gimbal style system, the lens if correctly balanced will fall into a neutral position generally about level. On your system the lens will fall either forward or backward and to get level you have to hold the lens, supporting the full weight and then tighten the support mechanism. This can be always a bit dificult as you need to be looking through the lens to aim it whilst tensioning.

Big Pix
13-04-2010, 7:18pm
....... must admit that the system I use is for birding and I find the system for me very good. I would rather check my level horizons through the view finder than for a system to do this. Cameras and long lens are expensive and I would rather support my lens, if needed, whilst tensioning. The leveling base is a must have when doing landscapes. I also tighten all knobs while looking through the view finder, as one should, and have not had a problem. The strengh and lightness of the product, when you have got to travel any distance, is very light. I use the product as a gimbal head and a ball head all in one product.....

MarkW
13-04-2010, 7:45pm
I would rather check my level horizons through the view finder than for a system to do this. Cameras and long lens are expensive and I would rather support my lens, if needed, whilst tensioning.

I may not have written my post very well.

What I was trying to say was when I loosen the tension on the side kick the lens will just stay as it is when correctly balanced and with the wimberley the lens will return to an approximate horizontal position. You dont use this feature to find level, but with your arcatech like a ball head thats been loosened off the lens will flop around unless you provide support to it.

mrDooba
13-04-2010, 7:59pm
Thanks for the quick replies. I will use the head on a dedicated tripod so being able to interchange lenses is not something I desire.

Wow $1000 I new they weren't cheap but......

Thanks for the link to Cameras Direct

I will continue to research and find the one I think will meet my needs.

Thanks!!

Big Pix
13-04-2010, 8:01pm
but with your arcatech like a ball head thats been loosened off the lens will flop around unless you provide support to it.

....... only if you loosen off "both" locking points...... if used in the correct way the lens will not flop around as you have pointed out.....

BTW have you ever used an arcatech head..... just wondering

MarkW
13-04-2010, 8:27pm
....... only if you loosen off "both" locking points...... if used in the correct way the lens will not flop around as you have pointed out.....

BTW have you ever used an arcatech head..... just wondering

I didnt mean to be over critial to your choice of gear :D maybe flopping wasnt a good choice.

No I haven't used Arcitech but if you loosen the up down screw whats to stop the lens moving down or up (depending on the balance point) other than the support of your hand?

Big Pix
13-04-2010, 8:48pm
\ if you loosen the up down screw whats to stop the lens moving down or up (depending on the balance point) other than the support of your hand?

...... as with any ball head

I am not here to defend my choice of equiptment that I use but to answer a question asked....... yet you seem to want to pick fault with something that you have not even used.....

Allann
13-04-2010, 8:56pm
The Wimberley is expensive but I wouldn't use anything else. As you saw at OCC the 600 mounts to the wimberley very easily and securely, and is very simple to use with just one finger. I'v seen a couple of cheaper ones, but I honestly think you get what you pay for.

If you want to get it a try before spending that much money, I can meet you at OCC one morning and you can try it out.

mrDooba
13-04-2010, 9:26pm
Thanks Allann, I might have to take you up on that offer. I'm a little hesitant to drop $1000(ish) on something like this and not be happy with how it feels as manipulation of the beast is paramount.
Thanks again!
Chris.

Allann
13-04-2010, 9:35pm
I'm camping at Mt Tamborine this weekend, but anytime after that. The most important thing in getting something for a large lens is easy of use, and safety, both to the user, and the equipment. Ask yourself these two questions on anything you look at, "If I am in the middle of using it, and let go, what happens to the setup?" and "Can I use it comfortable for a few hours?" As you know a birding outing can usually last at least a couple of hours and you don't want to carry the full weight when shooting.

I @ M
13-04-2010, 9:46pm
Not being an owner of any of these lovely exotic products I just thought I would throw another name into the ring.

Hit the link and then go to "direct purchase instruction" and then to "Carbon Fibre U Head" at under USD$500.00 it doesn't look too bad as an alternative to the more expensive gear.

http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

Allann
13-04-2010, 10:25pm
This head is very nice but the cradle arms can get in the way of the lens switches depending on the balance point and found it quite annoying after an hours use. That head though is terrific for a smaller lens like the 400/2.8 on a monopod.

mrDooba
13-04-2010, 10:47pm
Not being an owner of any of these lovely exotic products I just thought I would throw another name into the ring.

Hit the link and then go to "direct purchase instruction" and then to "Carbon Fibre U Head" at under USD$500.00 it doesn't look too bad as an alternative to the more expensive gear.

http://www.feisol.com/english/feisolen.htm

Thanks for that. Although photos often lie, it looks like the focus ring is a little obstructed by the U.

Satine
14-04-2010, 6:42am
I have the Wimberley II and love it. Not sure how I ever lived without it actually!! I use it for my 400mm f2.8 IS USM and my 200mm f2 IS USM with no problems at all.

MarkW
14-04-2010, 7:44am
I am not here to defend my choice of equiptment that I use but to answer a question asked....... yet you seem to want to pick fault with something that you have not even used.....

The point of this thread is somebody asking for experience with Wimberley, Jobu or Mongoose products for use with long glass - Arcatech wasn't actually mentioned. I have a wimberley side kick on a 500mm - this meets the context of the thread.

I'm not trying to pick at your gear but you chimed in and said that you use this even though it doesnt meet the context of the thread. If you don't want a suggestion critically examined then why post the details. Just because I haven't laid out the dollars to buy this product doesn't mean I can't critically assess how it will operate, FFS it a simple hinged head - it aint rocket science. I did give you the opportunity to tell me something about it which may not have been apparent - but now you state its no different to a ball head. Why get your pants in a knot.

ricktas
14-04-2010, 8:08am
The point of this thread is somebody asking for experience with Wimberley, Jobu or Mongoose products for use with long glass - Arcatech wasn't actually mentioned. I have a wimberley side kick on a 500mm - this meets the context of the thread.

I'm not trying to pick at your gear but you chimed in and said that you use this even though it doesnt meet the context of the thread. If you don't want a suggestion critically examined then why post the details. Just because I haven't laid out the dollars to buy this product doesn't mean I can't critically assess how it will operate, FFS it a simple hinged head - it aint rocket science. I did give you the opportunity to tell me something about it which may not have been apparent - but now you state its no different to a ball head. Why get your pants in a knot.

Didn't realise it was against the site rules to offer other alternatives. The attitude coming through in some of the posts here is not all that nice.

MarkW
14-04-2010, 10:23am
Didn't realise it was against the site rules to offer other alternatives. The attitude coming through in some of the posts here is not all that nice.

You're all for wanting us to critique photos, but hell no don't dare critique what somebody else suggests using as kit. Even if that might stop somebody making a large financial outlay to end up with a lump of very expensive alloy that doesn't do what's wanted or needed. Thats more important than saying "nice photo" or "the shadows could be lightened".

I'm a Mechanical Engineer - I critique machinery and equipment for a living and photographic gear is no different for any other machinery - this is what I do. I don't upload endless quanitities of meaningless photos waiting for somebody to tell me what I already know -to me that's pointless. These days I don't get anything out of this website other than an occassional laugh and a bit of a read, but I give back in terms of almost 40 years of engineering and photographic experience.

In saying this, I seem to be the round peg in the square hole - Rick if you don't like my attitude then say it to me, don't just make generalisations and I shall forthwith terminate my membership its no loss to me. As a public website I don't have to log on and the membership can do without whilst the benefit of looking is still there.

CherylB
14-04-2010, 11:45am
Mark, I feel a certain obligation here to offer some independent observation on the way this thread has moved.

The original poster asked for advice on specific brands of heads, and has been duly given advice in one of the brands mentioned, as well as a couple of other suggestions that were not specifically mentioned. The fact they were not specifically mentioned could well be that mrDooba was not aware of the brands, or that he was being somewhat general and didn't feel the need to list every possible brand. In either case (or any other), it is somewhat irrelevant. There is no issue with people suggesting other brands (whether specifically asked for or not) if, in their experience, it does the same job and meets the needs of the people who use them. As mrDooba was not explicit in his requirements as to how exactly he would be using the head, there has to be a certain amount of generalisation.

You are free to discuss ("critique") the technical merits (or otherwise) based on your experience of using a particular brand of head, and in your case, your years of experience in an engineering field. It is expected however, that you do so in a civilised and respectful manner. Your manner of expressing your experience (and opinions, I might add) comes across in a very heavy-handed way. It may not be that this was your intent, but this is the result.

To all members: please consider your responses, and that not everyone will agree with your assessment of any given piece of equipment. Everyone is free to make their own decision on equipment choices without pressure.

mrDooba
14-04-2010, 6:04pm
Perhaps I was a little vague.....

I have a 300mm f2.8 and this year I will buy a 500mm f/4. I will also be upgrading to a bigger, more stable tripod only to be used with the 2 telephoto lenses. I shoot birds and whatever else catches my eye while I'm out with nature. Weight is not an issue as I am enormous and can always stop and rest if need be.
I would love to hear other photographers' personal (be it good or bad) experience with a dedicated heavy duty head. I'm only familiar with the names (and pictures) of Whimberly, Jobu and Mongoose. If others know of different brands, makes or models your input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you to those who have already provided me with some personal preferences, being the heads you have selected.

kevinj
14-04-2010, 6:49pm
Chris,take Allann up on his offer,he let me have a play with it on a meet and I fell in love,the only reason I don`t have a Wimberley now is the cost,but it`s on the wishlist.

ricktas
14-04-2010, 6:52pm
You're all for wanting us to critique photos, but hell no don't dare critique what somebody else suggests using as kit. Even if that might stop somebody making a large financial outlay to end up with a lump of very expensive alloy that doesn't do what's wanted or needed. Thats more important than saying "nice photo" or "the shadows could be lightened".

I'm a Mechanical Engineer - I critique machinery and equipment for a living and photographic gear is no different for any other machinery - this is what I do. I don't upload endless quanitities of meaningless photos waiting for somebody to tell me what I already know -to me that's pointless. These days I don't get anything out of this website other than an occassional laugh and a bit of a read, but I give back in terms of almost 40 years of engineering and photographic experience.

In saying this, I seem to be the round peg in the square hole - Rick if you don't like my attitude then say it to me, don't just make generalisations and I shall forthwith terminate my membership its no loss to me. As a public website I don't have to log on and the membership can do without whilst the benefit of looking is still there.

Mark, using the abbreviation of FFS is not offering critique of an item, it is a direct agitating reply to something another member said, it offers nothing to the thread but incite anger from the person it was directed at. If you wish to have your account removed, PM and I will do it!

MarkW
14-04-2010, 7:06pm
Ok - Other than the ones you mentioned, try here

http://www.kirkphoto.com/King-Cobra.html

or here

http://www.photo-shop-studio.com/eng/p2.asp?ItemClass3=BENRO+SPECIAL+HEAD+-++GH-SERIES+%26+PH-Series&ItemClass1=BENRO+Tripod+%26+Ball+head&ItemClass2=BENRO

or here

http://www.custombrackets.com/Scripts/gimbals.asp

I regularly use Kirk gear and recommend their excellent quality. As for Benro I have a Benro tripod but have never been impressed by their ball head builds. You would really need to vieew this product before you buy. Benro is available from Photo Shop Studio in Sydney.

I have never used Custom brackets gear. It looks a bit light weight and a pain with my 500 as the lens switches are covered by the gimbal bracket. If its too light in build it will accentuate vibration.

MarkW
14-04-2010, 7:48pm
Mark, using the abbreviation of FFS is not offering critique of an item, it is a direct agitating reply to something another member said, it offers nothing to the thread but incite anger from the person it was directed at. If you wish to have your account removed, PM and I will do it!

Yea and thats after I've been accused of being over critical and attacking somebodies choice of gear. Maybe by that time I am getting agitated by another's accusations when in actual fact I provided an unemmotional assessment of a piece of kit. I don't care who owns it, what it costs, what brand it is etc etc. If its not the best choice I will say so.

I'm not going to change the way I write an assessment I give on mechanical bits, its unemotional, it deals in facts not fanatsy. If the gear is not up to the job or has a serious flaw to the way it is being used I will say so. We're not dealing with children here, they're adults - they should be able to accept a factual discussion on their equipment without somebody crying that I'm being too hard on an inanimate object (not them personally). If I'm wrong in an assessment, maybe because I don't know all the specifics, then I am happy to be educated and I will go and learn the new bit of info and how it makes a change. If this in turn makes it a great bit of kit then I will say so. I'm not biased, I just call a spade a spade. I don't make sugar coated statements cuase somebody might have purchsed gear thats really not up to it.

If you don't like this then you terminate my membership your call

ricktas
14-04-2010, 8:08pm
Seriously Mark, read the posts. YOU are the one that made the 'over critical' comment in post 10. The other member offered up his opinion, you questioned him and he answered your questions regarding the gear he suggested. Not once did he say anything about you being over critical.

All I want to do is point out that YOU are being a bit abrasive in the way your replied in post 19, and that it was not necessary. If you want to continue this argument, feel free, but there will come a point where I do remove your membership as you keep suggesting I should if I feel the need to. How about acting like an adult and accepting that your FFS statement was not necessary and childish in its own right?

MarkW
14-04-2010, 8:17pm
Seriously Mark, read the posts. YOU are the one that made the 'over critical' comment in post 10. The other member offered up his opinion, you questioned him and he answered your questions regarding the gear he suggested. Not once did he say anything about you being over critical.

All I want to do is point out that YOU are being a bit abrasive in the way your replied in post 19, and that it was not necessary. If you want to continue this argument, feel free, but there will come a point where I do remove your membership as you keep suggesting I should if I feel the need to. How about acting like an adult and accepting that your FFS statement was not necessary and childish in its own right?

Fine what ever

I will no longer discuss this in public - if you want to pick apart my words then do so PM. From my POV I have no problem justifying what I have written.

Babu
15-04-2010, 12:22am
MrDooba
My recommendation of the Wimberley Head II has been supported by Allann and Satine (whose 400mm f2.8 lens is even heavier than the 600mm f4).
I would certainly take up Allann's kind offer to road test your lens on the mount!!!!
However, I would like to point out that there are scenarios (safari vehicles in Africa) where cheaper options (beanbags) are more practical. On some treks monopods are more convenient to lug than tripods (consider the Really Right Stuff MH-01 LR monopod head).

Last time I checked at Cameras Direct:
Wimberley Head II $829
P-30 Lens Plate $ 74 (300mm f2.8)
P-40 Lens Plate $ 78 (500mm f4)

Hope this helps. Let us know what you end up choosing.

mrDooba
15-04-2010, 5:58pm
Thanks Babu. I think I'm leaning towards the whimberley.

Tannin
15-04-2010, 8:56pm
There are essentially only two ways to buy a head for long lenses:

Method 1: buy a Wimberley

Method 2: buy something else that seems to be practical and is a bit cheaper. Stuff around forever trying to make it work properly. Trade it in on another one, which also has its problems. Then throw all the other stuff away and buy a Wimberley.

Method 1 is cheaper and gives the best result faster.

You can buy them direct from the manufacturer: www.tripodhead.com

Bob G
15-04-2010, 9:16pm
I have the Wimberley 2 and use on a gitzo tripod. Tried and true performers with experienced birders. I have used both a 300 and a 500 lens on the system and it performs beautifully.

Am unable to comment on other systems as I have not used them.

I do use the RRS BH55 ballhead for general purpose photography.

My RRS L- Bracket stays permanently on the camera with no issues.