PDA

View Full Version : Scott Kelby Book...which one??

41jas
12-04-2010, 1:26pm
My mummy dearest is here with me today and wants to buy me a book of Scott Kelby.
I've looked at two of them and am wondering which one to buy.
Can you help me out so I get the right one.
Any help would be appreciated.

Options....
#1. Photoshop CS4 Down and Dirty Tricks by Scott Kelby
#2. The Adobe Photoshop CS4 Book for Digi - Kelby, Scott

Thank you

MarkChap
12-04-2010, 1:46pm
Can't help with the first one, I do have the second one which I though was a good book.

If you are pretty good with the basic of Photoshop maybe the the first would be better ??

Not much help am I ? :)

Bear Dale
12-04-2010, 3:03pm
I have #1 and think its great.

jamalnic
12-04-2010, 3:26pm
I have the second one and really like that one. I am just finding my way with photoshop and have been enjoying working my way through that.

Raven
12-04-2010, 4:35pm
I have both but CS3 versions.
The first one has some cool fun stuff to learn how to do, but didn't help me a great deal for everyday which is why I got the second one. I got a lot out of the second one IRT understanding bridge, RAW workflow and more regular photo stuff.

HTH :)

CherylB
12-04-2010, 6:17pm
Julie - I'd agree with Sam. I have both too (CS4). The first one is more about creating specific types of effects and although I haven't gone into it in detail yet, pretty much assumes a certain amount of PS knowledge. The second one is more about using the functionality within PS (CS4) and it's very straightforward and easy to follow. If you are looking for a more generalised PS book then the second is the one to go with definitely. (Of course, if you can convince your mum to buy both, that would be even better! ;) )

41jas
12-04-2010, 6:33pm
She probably would Cheryl..LOL
I'm thinking #2 as well. I wasn't quite sure what #1 was all about. It's good to know.
Thanks everyone for your help. She gave me the money today especially for that. She remembered me saying I was after it. She's so lovely my mum. Thinks of everyone else.

David
12-04-2010, 7:37pm
Hey if you get one I will get the other Jules and we can swap em over when ur done with the other one: sharing knowledge is a good thing.

Harves
12-04-2010, 9:04pm
Jules.... I was given The Adobe Photoshop CS4 Book for Digi - Kelby, Scott for Xmas, full of information, well worth having in the collection. :th3:

Colinc1
12-04-2010, 9:10pm
I only have Scott Kelby,s Lightroom 2, which is excellent by the way.

I have been thinking of getting the Down & Dirty Tricks book,i pop in to Borders
every now and then, and browse through his books.

I would love to get them all,but will hold off for a while, and learn more of Lightroom 2,
maybe i should start hinting at my friends & relatives at getting me book vouchers:D

tomtom1
12-04-2010, 11:50pm
I've bought some of Kelby's books - CS3 for photographers and the seven steps one.

To be quite honest Kelby, to me, publishes quick fix recipe books without explaining the thought processes behind them. He doesn't teach you how to adapt the techniques for your photos.

I suppose if it is literally the first PS book you own, a Kelby book is not bad as it is very basic, however IMO it won't take you far. I've just picked up a couple of Katrin Eismann's books and they are looking good. I've also read Martin Evening's Lightroom book which is also not bad.

dbax
13-04-2010, 8:35am
I have the CS3 for digi and i reckon thats the way to learn to use the basics well. I've looked at the others and it seems to deal in specifics.
#2 for me, as the first purchase, you'll learn heaps about workflow in ACR and PS.

nick351
14-04-2010, 11:04am
Also have number 2 and has been really helpful with learning photoshop.

If you intend to get lightroom, his lightroom book is also great.