PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding Condensation with Camera/Lenses

Satine
11-04-2010, 2:59pm
My husband and I are heading over to Canada in Winter 2011 and I want to take my big lenses (400mm f2.8 IS and 200mm f2 IS) and not sure what is the best way to avoid condensation going in and out of the cold weather.

I wasn't going to take the lenses over in their hard travel cases but was thinking that maybe that isn't a wise choice if they can help in any way with condensation. I know about putting your camera/lens in a ziplock bag but not sure they make one big enough for either of those lenses...lol!!

I was just reading an old article in a magazine that photographer Andy Rouse commented he always keeps his camera gear in the tundra vehicles overnight when shooting polar bears to avoid the condensation issue but at some point the camera has to come inside...so what do you do then?

dmdigital
11-04-2010, 4:04pm
I face this daily with humidity during the wet season. Moving from air-con house about 23C and low humidity to outside about 35C and high humidity.

I have a garbage bag and a tupperware container of silica crystals. Open the container and place in the bag on outside table, then put the gear in the bag and fold the end over so it is closed. Leave everything about 30 minutes to acclimatise and all is good.

If I'm caught out in wet weather I carry a microfibre travel towel (really absorbent, dries quickly) to wipe everything down with.

I don't know if this will work in the cold climates though.

Mary Anne
11-04-2010, 4:49pm
I read some where that putting it back in a proper camera bag when you have finished shooting is the way to go.
Then let the the camera bag warm up slowly over a longer period of time.

But does that mean you have to drive back to the Hotel without the heater on I would not fancy that.

Satine
12-04-2010, 9:55am
Thanks guys!

kiwi
12-04-2010, 9:57am
Maybe Pelican hard cases are the way to go, at least they are weather sealed unlike the carry cases they come in. Id much rather have then in a Pelican if travelling anyhow as they are so rugged

kiwi
12-04-2010, 9:58am
just one more thing - you might actually find it easier to hire over there

dmdigital
12-04-2010, 6:16pm
I read some where that putting it back in a proper camera bag when you have finished shooting is the way to go.
Then let the the camera bag warm up slowly over a longer period of time.

But does that mean you have to drive back to the Hotel without the heater on I would not fancy that.

Be very careful putting damp gear back into a camera bag and especially don't do this with a Pelican case. Basically you are going to make the camera bag wet and that opens up a whole new world of problems until it dries out.

As for Pelican case, best things for travelling and protecting gear. Dust sealed, water tight and will float. The cheapest place to buy these is from the USA though they are frighteningly expensive here.