PDA

View Full Version : It looks totally different!

Dizzy Photographics
09-04-2010, 8:47pm
I have just finished processing the image below...uploaded it to my facebook and was mortified when it resulted looking like this. The file i saved to my computer and reopened in photoshop looks completely different to this but it is the exact same image. Why would it have done this?

The one saved on my computer is not as saturated as this one, its not so dark around the left of the image and the water doesnt look like its been painted there. Would love to show you what it really looks like but this is what i get when its uploaded :(

Paul G
09-04-2010, 9:14pm
The colour space on this one is AdobeRGB which will usually appear more saturated on web display.
Check your other saved versions to see if they are saved as sRGB.

Dizzy Photographics
09-04-2010, 9:23pm
totally lost on where to even look..when i do save as it has ICC Profile: Adobe RGB and on the file info for colour space it just has numbers:confused013and in mode it has a tick in RGB no s but i unchecked the ICC thing and i think it worked?

Dizzy Photographics
09-04-2010, 9:24pm
now thats better lol. Thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I've never notice this happen before but now i know what to...cheers :)

Kym
09-04-2010, 10:13pm
Deb - no! Its still NOT sRGB colour space.
Color Space: Adobe RGB (1998) <<< This is a problem on the Web!
Why? Because not all browsers are colour space aware and will render a flatter looking image.
I.e. Firefox will do the right thing, but MS IE will not.

You must use sRGB for web publishing.
See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=40305

Edit: http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

Analog6
10-04-2010, 5:05am
You can change the Colour Profile in PS - Go to Edit/Assign Profile

Dizzy Photographics
10-04-2010, 7:04am
Deb - no! Its still NOT sRGB colour space.
Color Space: Adobe RGB (1998) <<< This is a problem on the Web!
Why? Because not all browsers are colour space aware and will render a flatter looking image.
I.e. Firefox will do the right thing, but MS IE will not.

You must use sRGB for web publishing.
See: http://www.ausphotography.net.au/forum/showthread.php?t=40305

Edit: http://www.gballard.net/psd/go_live_page_profile/embeddedJPEGprofiles.html

Quite odd...i only use firefox browser...havent used IE for a very long time :(

i went to the link you posted and did some of their tests. The one that has all the boxes with the colour typed in them was right until i rolled my mouse over then they changed, i couldnt find where it said that if i roll over that my monitor is wrong??? I also did another test they had that said to marquee a section of the photo and then desaturate it...it went completely grey which i can only assume means my monitor is not a shite one?

I did what Analog suggested and notice it dull the photo right back again...it made it an sRGB profile will it automatically do that each time or do i have to do it myself each time i open a new image up?

I'm sorry for the seemingly 'stoopid' questions but like i said, i have not ever noticed this before and now that i have come accross it i want to make sure that i have others seeing what i see...

Dizzy Photographics
10-04-2010, 7:06am
this is after following what Odille said to do

Erin
10-04-2010, 10:05pm
Hi there... the last image of the picture that you've posted is back to being oversaturated.

You can "soft proof" your colours in photoshop, this is what I do regularly to make sure a decent version of my images is seen online rather than something completely different which is clearly demonstrated in this post.

Personally, I like the saturation more (but that's just me). If you want to proof your colours in photoshop, go to View and then Proof - Custom and then select Working sRGB from the "Device to simulate".

Alternatively, you can assign a profile to the image so you're working pretty close to what everyone else will see. Go Edit - Assign Profile, and from the Profile dropdown, select the Working sRGB option again. Then there's absolutely no surprises.

saratoga
11-04-2010, 6:24pm
You can change the Colour Profile in PS - Go to Edit/Assign Profile

I'm no expert but would have suggested Edit>Convert to profile.

Assign and Convert are quite different. I think Convert maintains the colours as close as possible to what they were.

Dizzy Photographics
12-04-2010, 9:49am

Assign and Convert are quite different. I think Convert maintains the colours as close as possible to what they were.

I'll give that a try too thanks, because i am still having trouble getting it to display properly. It still display's a lot darker than what i have and see in PS and i'm really surprised i haven't noticed it before :(

Erin
12-04-2010, 9:05pm

Both do the same thing. It's just how I prefer to work. :)

I hope you sort it out, Dizzy. I experienced the same thing until I did a bit more reading on the matter. The above helped me a lot and my prints come back pretty true to colour.

Nic076
13-04-2010, 8:23am
Hi Deb- getting away from the saturation difference, this is a great shot. I Haven't been around for a little while, but your photography has come such a long way since joining AP - this is a shot to be proud of. :th3:

saratoga
13-04-2010, 9:32am
Both do the same thing. It's just how I prefer to work. :)

Actually Assign and Convert are VERY different and it is misunderstood by many people!

With some images and profiles there may only be minor differences in the images, in other instances the differences can be enormous!

When you "ASSIGN profile", you are not changing the RGB values of the image, you’re changing how those values are interpreted by Photoshop, and how the image will appear.

eg I'm using "ABC" profile and the colour in my image is a nice blue (R 26, G 80, B 136). If I assign the profile "XYZ" my computer will go to XYZ profile and use the same numbers (R 26, G 80, B 136) but will interpret them differently and so instead of looking the nice blue it was, it now looks more purple

When you "CONVERT to profile" you are changing the image from one colour space to another. Here the main aim is to keep the colours the same, so the RGB values are changed so as to maintain the colours as close as possible to the original.

eg I'm using "ABC" profile and the colour in my image is a nice blue (R 26, G 80, B 136). If I Convert to profile "XYZ" my computer will go to look at the nice blue I had and say "what numbers in the XYZ profile would give me the same colour?" and then convert my old numbers into new numbers (R 34, G 75, B 134) so that the colour remains as close as possible to the original.

There is lots of info on the web about this and the importance of it.

For a start try http://www.pdnonline.com/pdn/cp/olympus/technology/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003051994

Dizzy Photographics
14-04-2010, 10:14am
ok...so over the last 2 days i have been playing and playing with everything that has been mentioned here and still nothing has changed for me. I have become so frustrated with it all :( The only solution i found was to not colour manage the image at all...then it goes on the web exactly as i see it in PS. Short of playing around with my monitors settings i dont know what else to do otherwise. I appreciate the input and will settle on getting someone to actually come and look at my monitor for me so that i dont stuff it all up and then require another 3 week wait from ACER :( I guess its more something i need to have someone actually step by step show me the whole what/where/how process to get it right