PDA

View Full Version : 7D as off-camera flash controller

Babu
08-04-2010, 3:47pm
I'm interested in hearing other people's opinions regarding how the 7D performs as a controller of off-camera flash units instead of using an ST-E2.

kevinj
08-04-2010, 4:10pm
I`ll let you know when I get mine in a few weeks time,:D:lol::food04:,sorry,I`ll be interested to see the replies to this,my 7D is getting closer all the time.

pupmeister
08-04-2010, 7:24pm
I shot these two using the built in flash controller to control a 430EXII and a 580EXII. (even though the exif strangely says the flash did not fire :confused013)

The only problems that I have had with it is the limitation inherent with any sort of optical system i.e. range and line of sight problems. The only other negative that I have read about the system but have not personally encountered is the fact that the flash control system works in visible light spectrum as opposed to the ST-E2 system that works in the infrared spectrum, thus in close up even when you set the pop up flash to not fire, the triggering system might contribute light to the photo.

Cheers
Stephen

Babu
08-04-2010, 9:02pm
Thanks for your response and the excellent pics, Stephen.
I have an ST-E2 which I use on the 5D II. So far since purchasing the 7D, I haven't done any flash work with it except to verify that its built-in flash works.
I had read similar advice regarding the 7D's flash triggering system.

Tricky
09-04-2010, 11:12am
I've used the 7D's off-flash controller quite a bit for macro work, ie to trigger my 580EX2 either handheld or mounted on a tripod. I've found it good for this purpose, you just have to be carefull to keep the 580EX2's receiver side within line of sight to the 7D, else the flash won't go off. Sure beats using a curly cable, which is what I used with my 40D.... :D

MarkChap
09-04-2010, 11:27am
One advantage of the 7D over the ST-E2 is that with the 7D you can control all 3 firing groups A, B, & C
The ST-E2 will only allow 2 groups A & B.
Will the ST-E2 allow you to use the flashes in manual mode rather than ETTL ?? The 7D will

Loz
09-04-2010, 9:54pm
Considering the 7D to replace my 20D. As one of the features of the 7D it is encouraging to see the favourable comments re its flash triggering system. I will keep an eye on following advice.

Cathi
09-04-2010, 10:01pm
We have found it absolutely wonderful :)