PDA

View Full Version : Rolltop equipment backpacks

Babu
07-04-2010, 8:15pm
I'm interested in acquiring a decent size waterproof rolltop backpack big enough to protect a DSLR + BG with 500mm lens mounted (hood reversed) in inclement conditions. Where do I sus out one of these? Marine stores? Tell me where to go (polite suggestions gratefully accepted).

mikec
08-04-2010, 12:12pm
I've see a few of these for cavers, try outdoor stores like K2 in Fortitude Valley on Wickam Street. Or maybe a marine store or somewhere that sells kayaking gear etc...

They don't usually have any padding though.... might I suggest a traditional dry sack in a back pack to get some padding into the system?

Yet better question would be what are you intending to do with it?

Babu
08-04-2010, 1:56pm
Thanks for your helpful suggestions Mike. I'll do some chasing up in those sorts of stores.

I have an assortment of Lowepro backpacks including the Vertex 200 & 300 which I use the vast majority of the time. They certainly do provide the padding!

Traditional lighter duty drysacks we own were handy to protect cameras from light snow and drizzle in the Arctic but heavier duty rolltop sacks with shoulder straps coped better in more difficult conditions and gave you two hands free to use snow poles etc. We were loaned one in Brazil for our camera when our boat went under Iguasu Falls several times. The bag coped perfectly even under those massive dousings.

mikec
08-04-2010, 3:14pm
Ahh seems like one of those would be ideal then for that type of work.

I just remembered a mate of mine has one, I knew I saw one somewhere, it was Seal Line brand. Seemed pretty bomb proof.

Babu
08-04-2010, 8:15pm
Thanks for the memory jogging, Mike. I checked on the Seal Line website and found that it was their Pro Pack that I had used. Now to locate one!