PDA

View Full Version : Tamrac Expedition 8x opinions?

NikonUser
04-04-2010, 8:02pm
Hi there,

I currently own a Lowepro Mini Trekker that I love... but it doesn't hold all of my gear and I'm looking for something bigger.

I need to carry:
Nikon Pro Sized body
Nikkor 12-24/4 afs
Nikkor 24-70/2.8 afs
Nikkor 70-200/2.8 afs
Nikkor 300/4 afs
Nikkor 500/4 afs
Sigma 180/3 .5 macro
Tripod

plus flash, teleconverters and other accessories. I don't actually own all of those yet, but I will one day :)

(yes I know this will weigh a ton!)

I'm currently looking at the Tamrac Expedition 8x (or the new 9x if I can find one). Can anyone comment on both the suitability of that bag for my needs and/or an overall opinion of the larger Tamrac bags? Are they built to last? Anything that you don't like about them?

Thanks for any help

Paul

MarkW
05-04-2010, 8:26am
Do you actually want to walk with all this gear in it or is it just for storage?

You have everything listed from a UW lens to a super tele and a tripod to boot.

Sounds like you need to plan you shooting rather than take the whole kit.

As for Tamrac, I have the Adventure 9 and just commenting on the quality, they do produce a good quality bag but when I purchased it, the Adv9 was their largest. Unfortunately it wouldn't fit my 500 prime which I had purchased at a later date. As I'm trying to stay within airline carry on size, I have justs purchased a ThinkTank Airport Acceleration V2 as it can be reconfigured to hold a 500 f4 plus a few bits and pieces.

NikonUser
05-04-2010, 9:25am
The bag will be used for both storage and walking around.

If I'm out hiking/camping for anwhere between a day a week there are many situations where I would need any one of the lenses/items in my kit. Any of the lenses below the 180 macro add very little weight to the pack and the actual weight of the gear on my back isn't too much of a concern for me.

Nothing worse than being out in the field, 10kms from the car and the rest of your gear only to discover you need a lens you didn't bring.

Maybe I'm alone in the way I shoot... but I need something that will cover my requirements.

Paul