PDA

View Full Version : HDR photo programs

smallfooties
03-04-2010, 11:19pm
Hi there,
Anybody know what is a good program for doing HDR images?
I was looking at photomatix... but not sure if it is any good? Thanks.

farmmax
03-04-2010, 11:49pm
I think most people use Photomatix. There is a free version you can download. It does watermark some of the images.

A couple of other programs I've played with are Dynamic-Photo HDR and Qtpfsgui. The first one can be used for free with limitations and a watermark, and the last one is free open source from memory.

Photoshop can produce HDR, but I've never managed to get results I like out of it.

Perhaps someone else can suggest some more programs.

Avalon
04-04-2010, 5:05am
Another vote for Photomatix,
As mentioned, you can try it out for free before you buy, so nothing to lose really.

Philr
04-04-2010, 7:20am
Photomatix hands down for me!

bigbikes
04-04-2010, 8:18am
#1 program for HDR.......Photomatix.......the only way to go :th3:

Tricky
04-04-2010, 9:34pm
Photomatix is the best and easiest to use... however, on some occasions (maybe 20%) I get better results using Dynamic HDR, so I often try both to see which works best.

I think Dynamic HDR works better if you're doing a pseudo-HDR (ie tone mapping using just one single RAW file rather than proper bracketed RAW exposures).

smallfooties
05-04-2010, 2:08am
Photomatix is the best and easiest to use... however, on some occasions (maybe 20%) I get better results using Dynamic HDR, so I often try both to see which works best.

I think Dynamic HDR works better if you're doing a pseudo-HDR (ie tone mapping using just one single RAW file rather than proper bracketed RAW exposures).

Can i get dynamic HDR for free?
Thanks guys... I have already dl photomatix and i have found it really easy to use!!!:th3:

Analog6
05-04-2010, 4:16am
Picturenaut (http://www.hdrlabs.com/picturenaut/) is a free program. And the book on HDR they sell at the same site is terrific, covers all the popular programs including Photoshop, photomatix and a couple of others.

aycee
05-04-2010, 9:34am
There are many programs out there for this sort of thing...and they all probably have their little wonderful traits to get the image how you would like it....Photomatix relies on more colour...Dynamic HDR gets more of the shadows and easyHDR has a more mellow look to it..many many more but the one thing they all do in common is to boost some runrealistic colours so need to be used in conjunction with a whole raft of other methods to take the best out of all..hope this helps and i wouldnt like to recommend any as they all do their job..Alan!

nlewis
08-04-2010, 1:45pm
another Photomatix user. Have not been able to get results out of any other program I tried (including photoshop).

arnica
13-05-2010, 1:54pm
I use photomatix whenever I create hdr's ... simple to use.

edgewing
13-05-2010, 2:38pm
Just to be different, I use a program called Artizen which works rather well.

Bax
13-05-2010, 3:47pm
I used to use Photomatix, will get it again shortly.

Photoshop is terrible for its merge to HDR function.

Avalon
13-05-2010, 4:02pm
I've heard that the new Photoshop CS5 has a much improved HDR function.
A friend who has it swears by it, but haven't used it myself.
Worth checking if you are planning a Photoshop upgrade. :)

nexeh
14-05-2010, 10:56pm
Photomatix for me, have tried some others but photomatix has better results.

beaco
24-05-2010, 11:06pm
+1 photomatix

baldrick
04-06-2010, 7:30pm
I suppose it`s horses for courses, I`ve trialled Photomatix,Dynamic Photo, Artizen and Photoshop. For my money Dynamic Photo wins hands down. It`s not free but it`s cheaper than the others. As "tricky" mentions the pseudo function is handy when you have a moving subject, it`s hard to get a racing car or aeroplane to sit still long enough to take 3 or 5 exposures.