PDA

View Full Version : Second camera

kevinj
03-04-2010, 8:18pm
I`m upgrading to a 7D soon,I intend to keep my 450D as a second body for a while,I will want to replace it eventually.I`ve been thinking,after the 7D,a 5DII might be a good move.Any thoughts.

Shelley
03-04-2010, 8:30pm
Aww Kev the 7d sure sounds like a birding camera. The 8 fps is very appealing. From what I read its a great camera - i am currently close to buying it (ducks for cover as hubby walks past).

I would love full frame - but my birding comes first in photography - so that is what i would get. The full frame are good for landscapes and portraits I believe. Now, in the ideal world you would have both.

kevinj
03-04-2010, 9:05pm
Aww Kev the 7d sure sounds like a birding camera. The 8 fps is very appealing. From what I read its a great camera - i am currently close to buying it (ducks for cover as hubby walks past).

I would love full frame - but my birding comes first in photography - so that is what i would get. The full frame are good for landscapes and portraits I believe. Now, in the ideal world you would have both.

The 7D and my 100-400mm will be inseperable,my beloved 450D will continue it`s duty as my backup and,if I`m lucky,macro camera.I am however going to want better,the 5DII,it should suit my needs,my 450D will go to someone starting out and in need of a good piece of kit at a bargain price.

Ace55
04-04-2010, 1:03am
A mate has a 5D. Quality is superb - a top class camera BUT two issues for you. As it's a full frame camera you lose the "crop factor" of your 450 and 7D. If you are into bird photography, you are going to lose some "pulling power". That can be more than overcome with the much higher resolution of the 5D compared with the 450D - it is less of an advantage when compared with the 7D as it has 18Mpx. Second point - my mate has had to go out and buy a new computer as the file sizes are around 50mB and with layers up to 200mB. His old computer just did not have the processing power to handle these file sizes and slowed to a frustrating crawl. But he absolutely loves his 5D - brilliant images.

rwg717
04-04-2010, 1:16am
Kevin, I started out with a 50D and later bought a 5D MkII and never once regretted the move, I still have my 50D and run the two cameras side-by-side, they do things differently and although the "crop" is lost with the 5D I would not part them as a working pair. I also have the 7D and it offers another set of features again and think they are as good a combination as I can imagine....only problem is one of them usually has to get left at home sometimes....easy to resolve...take the lot!!!!!;):party6:
Richard

albling
04-04-2010, 2:15am
* delete due to wrong posting *

Mary Anne
04-04-2010, 11:44am
Thats wonderful news about the 7D Kevin..
The full frame camera sounds great for later if thats what you want.

kevinj
04-04-2010, 11:55am
A mate has a 5D. Quality is superb - a top class camera BUT two issues for you. As it's a full frame camera you lose the "crop factor" of your 450 and 7D. If you are into bird photography, you are going to lose some "pulling power". That can be more than overcome with the much higher resolution of the 5D compared with the 450D - it is less of an advantage when compared with the 7D as it has 18Mpx. Second point - my mate has had to go out and buy a new computer as the file sizes are around 50mB and with layers up to 200mB. His old computer just did not have the processing power to handle these file sizes and slowed to a frustrating crawl. But he absolutely loves his 5D - brilliant images.
Thanks Ace,the 7D will be my birding camera,the 5DII will be for everything else.

Kevin, I started out with a 50D and later bought a 5D MkII and never once regretted the move, I still have my 50D and run the two cameras side-by-side, they do things differently and although the "crop" is lost with the 5D I would not part them as a working pair. I also have the 7D and it offers another set of features again and think they are as good a combination as I can imagine....only problem is one of them usually has to get left at home sometimes....easy to resolve...take the lot!!!!!;):party6:
Richard
Thanks Richard,I think the hardest thing is going to be parting with my beloved 450D.

Thats wonderful news about the 7D Kevin..
The full frame camera sounds great for later if thats what you want.
The 7D sounds like the Dream Birding camera,I`m buying it for my Birthday,I was going to upgrade to the 5DII until the 7D came out.

Mr Scrofulous
06-04-2010, 2:19pm
We are jsut doing this.
Wife has teh new 7D while an old 20D serves back-up and as my camera.
But it's deteriorating, as it's over 7 yr old, and it will give up teh ghost sometime.
So we are looking at getting a 5D II.
We feel they will be very complementary.
She does action, I'm getting into macro.

jeffde
06-04-2010, 3:03pm
Just buy to 7 D's that what i want to do....

pgbphotographytas
06-04-2010, 3:43pm
Sounds like a good plan.

kevinj
06-04-2010, 3:49pm
Definately sounds like a plan.

Bear Dale
06-04-2010, 5:03pm
I have a 50D and 5DMKII Kevin and I wouldn't want to be without either.

kevinj
06-04-2010, 5:58pm
Seems like I might have to have my own "Holy Trinity" ,the 7D,the 5DII and the 450D.:lol:

Pine
06-04-2010, 6:09pm
I would try the 7D first and then consider a full frame camera you might not need it.
Just love my 7D:D
Regards

Speedway
06-04-2010, 6:12pm
I love also my 7D. Also kept the 400D and used both on the weekend with different lenses, saves a lot of lens changing. No thoughts on a FF at the moment though, maybe a 1D MkIV later on if I win lotto.

kevinj
06-04-2010, 7:04pm
I would try the 7D first and then consider a full frame camera you might not need it.
Just love my 7D:D
Regards
The 7D is a definite,the 5DII will be down the track a way,Macro lens and flash will come first I think.

I love also my 7D. Also kept the 400D and used both on the weekend with different lenses, saves a lot of lens changing. No thoughts on a FF at the moment though, maybe a 1D MkIV later on if I win lotto.
I`ll be keeping my 450D,FF will come as finances allow,a lotto win would mean more L glass and a body for each lens,:lol: