PDA

View Full Version : Autofocus in Av or Tv mode?

furious
03-04-2010, 5:20pm
Hi, I recently purchased a secondhand Canon 40d.

Is the camera meant to autofocus in Av or Tv mode. The camera is not. I have only experience with P&S cameras. SLRs and their features are new to me. I am thinking it could be one of the custom function setting has been set by the previous owner to be this way.

:Edit: I am using the 40d paired with a Canon 50mm f1.4.

dbax
03-04-2010, 6:42pm
Hi there:D,
Yep the 40D should auto focus in both Av and Tv modes. first things first, and I know its obvious but, there should be a MF-AF switch on the lens, make sure its set to AF for autofocus! If thats not the problem try cleaning the contacts on the lens. If that's not it the switch may be faulty?..... you've probably tried all these.
Hopefully someone with this exact lens might be able to offer advice with more insight.
I have the 40D but not that lens.
Good luck

ricktas
03-04-2010, 7:09pm
David's reply is good, check the lens and make sure if it has a switch that it is set to AF. Not sure with Canon, but with Nikon you can also turn the AF off in the camera menu as well.

stevemack
03-04-2010, 7:27pm
Ok if none of the above work go to custom functions No.4 and put it on AE Lock/AF I figure its got to be the same custom function button as on my 30D but could be wrong if not search through your custom functions till you come to it,and if mine or the above dont work im clueless.

steve.

Palomine
03-04-2010, 7:52pm
Probably a little obvious but check what AF setting (3rd button from right on top right). If your 40D is in AI SERVO, while in Tv or Av, mode it will not make the little bleep focus noise.

furious
04-04-2010, 4:51pm
Ok if none of the above work go to custom functions No.4 and put it on AE Lock/AF I figure its got to be the same custom function button as on my 30D but could be wrong if not search through your custom functions till you come to it,and if mine or the above dont work im clueless.

steve.

bingo. Thanks you all but it is fixed. :party6::party6: