PDA

View Full Version : My website goes live!

kjl
03-04-2010, 5:06pm
After lots of fiddling around over the past few weeks and taking on board some great feedback that I received from a number of AP users I finally feel that I am ready to shout about my website! The address is www.kjlphotography.com.au (http://www.kjlphotography.com.au) - if you have a chance to stickybeak than I would love to know what you think!

shaggydog
03-04-2010, 5:22pm
Nice site KJL.

Good choice of plain black background. Nice easy site to navigate and view.
The gallery is subdivided well into specific topics (I really like your man-made photos - fantastic work - I wish I could shoot that well).

The only thing I noticed was the time it took to enter the site (this is me being very picky now). I have reasonable broadband access (up to 8Mb/s, but usually closer to 1.5-2), and the initial loading time was about 20secs. Once loaded, very smooth, and once cached, I was able to visit it with a much faster load time. Not sure if it was even worth mentioning, but because this is a business site, thought you might want this kind of feedback.

Overall, that small lag at the beginning would not have seen me walk away from the site early on, and what I saw had me interested.

Well done KJL - All the best with the website and your business.

ricktas
03-04-2010, 7:13pm
Good work, now seeing most of your posts are on your own threads, how about passing some of that good advice you got from the members for your website, back to the members as well, and give a few critiques to others?

tonykieuphotography
03-04-2010, 7:21pm
Nice looking but I have a small critique concerning the pricing page.

You are pricing yourself too low! After tax you will get next to nothing and clients will absolutely not value your time/work.

kjl
03-04-2010, 7:25pm
Thanks very much for the feedback everyone - it is greatly appreciated...

Tony - I understand what you are saying; I guess I though as a starting point as I hadn't undertaken any professional work I couldn't "over-value" myself either :)

And Rick - point taken...my bad :( will endeavour to be just as wonderful to others as they have been to me!

kathiemt
03-04-2010, 7:35pm
I'm always conscious of how long it takes websites to load. People don't like waiting. Once in, it's fine but waiting for it to load is another thing. I live in the country so always conscious of download limits and times for things.

I love the font you're using - how did you do that? It would have to be graphically based wouldn't it? Generally computer browswers will only show fonts that are readily available on the computer it's being viewed on and I'm pretty sure I don't have that font on my computer.

Nicely set up. I agree about the pricing.

RLeadbetter
03-04-2010, 8:05pm
nice site. simple and effective

my first impressions:
first time loading was a little slow i thought. I had a blank screen for about 5-10 seconds and refreshed it because I didnt know what was going on.

The pricing page is a little crowded, especially where you have a lot of description the prices kind of blend in with the text. I don't know if it is due to the amounts having no decimal or not loud enough.

para
06-04-2010, 4:29pm
nice site. simple and effective

The pricing page is a little crowded, especially where you have a lot of description the prices kind of blend in with the text. I don't know if it is due to the amounts having no decimal or not loud enough.

agree maybe try and space it out a bit

wideangle
10-04-2010, 10:55am
I find the lag time upon opening pages and things loading way too long, and I would shift away before they loaded. The layout is really good and easy to navigate thought, but I would try and fix the lag times as it takes too long.

buc2
10-04-2010, 11:25am
Really like the site and your Images are great. I must agree with the other posts for your time and experience you really need to increase your prices. With your current prices you will struggle to survive. :th3:

kjl
11-04-2010, 9:32am
Thanks to everyone for all your comments - I will endeavour to make some layout changes to the pricing page over teh weekend and will review my prices (its nice to know that your worth a little more than you originally think!)

I am hoping to resolve the time it takes to load issue with the host site over the next week or so - I know they are continuing to update this so fingers crossed!